Date
OpenChain Work Groups! Shall we make more logos?

We have logos for Germany and Tooling here:
https://github.com/OpenChain-Project/Image-Assets/tree/master/Official/German-WG-Logo
https://github.com/OpenChain-Project/Image-Assets/tree/master/Official/Tooling-WG-Logo

You can see all our image assets here:
https://github.com/OpenChain-Project/Image-Assets/tree/master/Official

How about local groups make their own logos?

e: @shanecoughlan

https://calendly.com/shanecoughlan

A note to the OpenChain Community - The Linux Foundation Membership Summit (10~12 March, Tahoe) has been cancelled

Dear OpenChain Community

The Linux Foundation Membership Summit (10~12 March, Tahoe) has been cancelled due to the evolving situation around COVID-19. This was a difficult decision but ultimately it is the right thing to do for the safety and comfort of the Linux Foundation community.

This development means a couple of things:
(1) The OpenChain talks and panels will not take place
(2) The meetings we had planned (our board meeting) will be moved to pure teleconference
(3) We will seek to ensure the information and knowledge that would have been shared face-to-face is instead shared via our mailing lists and calls.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

e: @shanecoughlan

https://calendly.com/shanecoughlan

Latest OpenChain Newsletter now available

The latest OpenChain Project newsletter is now available. It covers some of our key activities around the end of December and throughout January. As you can probably guess a lot was happening:
https://www.openchainproject.org/openchain-newsletter-issue-33

Our full newsletter archive:
https://www.openchainproject.org/news/newsletter

Testing Mailing List Settings - Please Review

Are you receiving more than one copy of this email?

If so, are you subscribed to a regional sub-group (like Japan, Taiwan)?

If you are receiving more than one copy of this email but are not subscribed to a regional subgroup please email me at @shanecoughlan for this issue to be fixed.

OpenChain Conformance: The Arm Case Study

OpenChain Conformance: The Arm Case Study

This case study unpacks how the open source team at Arm used the OpenChain industry standard to simplify and speed their compliance process. It includes detailed information on the approach selected, the timescales used, and the outcomes reached. It will be useful for any company currently considering or undergoing OpenChain self-certification, compliance assessment or third-party certification.

Review the Case Study:
https://www.slideshare.net/ShaneCoughlan3/openchain-conformance-arm-case-study?ref=https://www.openchainproject.org/featured/2020/02/17/openchain-conformance-the-arm-case-study

Download the Case Study:
https://github.com/OpenChain-Project/case-studies/raw/master/ArmOpenChainCaseStudy.pdf

Link to share all the above details:
https://www.openchainproject.org/featured/2020/02/17/openchain-conformance-the-arm-case-study

OpenChain and COVID-19 – Remote Conferencing - Video, Presentations and More - Up to 100 People (Alex, please also make a news item out of this)

The spread of COVID-19 is increasingly causing meeting or events to be reconsidered. We want to ensure people have the option to hold remote conferences as an alternative. This can keep us on our current meeting schedule without introducing the need for crowds to gather. This solution is especially important for China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan Work Groups. It is proposed that we keep the current physical meeting schedule for remote meetings. The final decision belongs with each work group.

We have a conferencing solution for up to 100 simultaneous participants. There are no restrictions to using our conference system and holding calls. You do not need permission, a host or moderator. Please feel free to just log in, host your event, and proceed as normal. Every call will be recorded for future review and minutes. Given our activities, our timezones, there is no expectation of overlaps.

Please feel free to share these conference details with other projects that need help. They are welcome to use our infrastructure with no cost or restriction. The only thing we ask is for other projects to contact @shanecoughlan to flag that they want to schedule a time. This will then be communicated to the community-at-large to ensure no overlap. OpenChain calls have priority.

Join the call: https://uberconference.com/openchainproject
This works for video and screen sharing without any installations on Google Chrome.

Optional US dial in number: 855-889-3011
No PIN needed

If you need to use an international phone number:
1. Dial the country number based on your location.
2. Enter 855 889 3011 and then # to enter the room.

Argentina
011 5352-7853

Australia
(02) 8417 2302

Austria
0720 883760

Belgium
02 808 40 28

Brazil
(11) 3500-8339

Bulgaria

Canada
(647) 694-4842

Colombia
(1) 5087553

Croatia

Cyprus
25 030290

Czech Republic
228 881 354

Czech Republic
597 499 796

Denmark
69 91 25 10

Dominican Republic
(829) 954-8429

El Salvador
2113 1872

Estonia
668 3205

Finland
09 42450409

France
01 82 88 57 11

Germany
030 30807999

Greece

Hong Kong
5808 3219

Hungary
(1) 408 8251

Ireland
(01) 525 5652

Israel
072-223-7397

Italy

Japan

Latvia

Lithuania
(8-5) 214 0245

Luxembourg
27 86 01 18

Malaysia
03-9212 1770

Malta
2778 0968

Mexico
01 55 4628 2602

Netherlands
020 808 4062

New Zealand
09-887 3488

Norway
23 96 01 42

Panama
833-9020

Peru
(01) 7087243

Poland
22 307 18 02

Portugal
308 802 875

Puerto Rico
(787) 919-0379

Romania
031 630 0092

Singapore
3158 0641

Slovakia
02/334 183 24

Slovenia
(01) 888 82 12

South Africa
087 551 7697

South Korea
02-6022-2388

Spain
911 23 89 04

Sweden
08-408 394 78

Switzerland
022 518 08 35

Taiwan

United Kingdom
020 3514 1993

United States
(401) 283-2000

e: @shanecoughlan

https://calendly.com/shanecoughlan

OpenChain and COVID-19 – Update

The OpenChain Project will be following the Linux Foundation guidelines on the viral situation. The final decision for holding or cancelling any event will be made by the community in question. Example: if the OpenChain Japan Work Group decides to cancel a meeting, we cancel the meeting. The same holds true worldwide.

Overview:

"The Linux Foundation is continuously monitoring the Novel Coronavirus situation to ensure the safety of our event participants and staff. We will be following all recommended guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) as the situation progresses.

Despite the cancellation of MWC Barcelona, many other significant conferences are still occurring and we have no plans to cancel events in general. Note that the WHO is currently advising against the application of any restrictions on international traffic. Based on the information currently available on the outbreak, the CDC is recommending standard safety practices that should be instituted during any flu season, and there are no US Dept of State Travel Advisories for countries other than China with relation to Novel Coronavirus.”

https://www.openchainproject.org/news/2020/02/13/openchain-and-covid-19-update

Request for Comments: One Slide Summary of Where OpenChain Fits in Workflows

Dear all

Fukuchi San from Sony has provided us with a draft outlining where the various sections of the OpenChain Specification fit into company process workflows. This is building on a document that was previously available for OpenChain Specification 1.2. The goal is to provide a quick framing of our industry standard for organizations considering adoption, considering conformance, or managing these activities.
https://www.slideshare.net/ShaneCoughlan3/request-for-comments-one-slide-summary-of-where-openchain-fits-in-workflows

e: @shanecoughlan

https://calendly.com/shanecoughlan

Revised OpenChain Communication Strategy

Dear all

We have a large and growing amount of OpenChain activities around the world. Based on your feedback I want to share an update to our communication strategy.

(1) All OpenChain updates will continue to be shared to the main list
(2) Our sub lists - such as tooling or automotive - will receive:
(a) updates directly relevant to their activities
(b) an update when our monthly newsletter is available
(because this is a gateway to all our news)
(c) updates regarding new member companies
(because this means enhanced investment in our space)

This should lead to a large reduction in traffic while ensuring people can still access all our news at their discretion.

e: @shanecoughlan

https://calendly.com/shanecoughlan

Re: Call for support: German translation of the OpenChain supplier leaflet

Dr. Andreas Kotulla

Hi Stefan and Oliver,

even more recent cases may be the Artifex claims against Hancom (2018) or Siemens (2019), both for use of Ghostscript/GPL.

  1. Hancom:
    https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/update-on-artifex-v-hancom-gnu-gpl-compliance-case-1
    https://www.prdistribution.com/dailytelescope.com/artifex-and-hancom-reach-settlement-over-ghostscript-open-source-dispute

  1. Siemens:
    Siemens is alleged to have incorporated the AGPL version of Ghostscript onto Solid Edge
    Artifex Software, Inc. v. Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc. (4:19-cv-05764)
    https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/16197175/artifex-software-inc-v-siemens-product-lifecycle-management-software/

Best regards,

Andreas

Von: "Oliver Fendt" <oliver.fendt@...>
An: "germany-wg@..." <germany-wg@...>
Datum: 07.02.2020 10:29
Gesendet von: germany-wg@...

[...]

Our list is getting underway

Dear all

Thank you for being part of the first OpenChain Germany Work Group meeting.

Before we officially start communication on this list I want to give a little time for people to accept invitations. Some parties were not yet part of the main OpenChain mailing list and therefore need to explicitly accept an invitation to join this list.

With this in mind, I will distribute our minutes by close of business tomorrow.