Re: Software Evidence Archive (SEvA)

Kate Stewart

Hi John,
    Thanks for sharing the information on SEvA.

    In scanning through the repository,  its not clear to me that when you're using <licenses>3DFX</licenses>, are you expecting them to licenses
off the SPDX license list?   are SPDX license expressions ok?

Also,   for the fields that are in common with SPDX (Software Package Data eXchange),
to promote interoperability,  are you using the same data formatting/parsing constraints?
I can't quite tell from the descriptions I'm finding, but feel free to point me to details. :-)
The package level fields that are likely to overlap with SPDX are described in

Also, If you want to propose the format for some of the fields that the SPDX
specification doesn't have,  we're working on the 2.2 version of the specification
at the moment, and submitting issues to the github repository, gets the proposal
on the discussion list.

Kate

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 6:09 PM, John Scott <john@...> wrote:
SPDX seemed to only contain data around licensing and bills of materials (for dependencies) but didn’t include data around what tests were run, virus scanning, etc. results for a particular build of software or source  code.

the main part for non-commercial was to limit license forking

John Scott, President
Selection Pressure LLC
 240.401.6574 @johnmscott
< john@...  >

On February 22, 2018 at 6:39:57 PM, Alan Tse (alan.tse@...) wrote:

Thanks for sharing.  Some questions:

1.      Is your intent with the non-commercial use provision to mean no commercial entities can use the format?  Or was it to prohibit people from charging?  If it’s the latter, the license choice may be too broad.  An issue I see with a NC license is that this may limit any potential adoption because commercial entities are primarily the entities that would use this type of data.

2.      Have you taken a look at SPDX for the license meta-data?  While SEvA is a broader solution, there may be some duplication in efforts on the license side that can be avoided.

Alan D. Tse