Re: Value of OpenChain for different sectors - creating one sentence explanation of value

Jan Thielscher

Hi Gary,

I can confirm this to be a common case. Both situations appear quiet often.
I would want to add one more case: changing circumstances. there are only few projects I came across, that did not change scope over time. Parts of the solution suddenly should be shared with others, solution should be transferred to another legal entity, a solution should be shipped inside a VM,...
without a structured approach, it is an enormous effort to clarify options and consequnces.

Mit freundlichem Gruß / kind regards
Jan Thielscher

EACG GmbH - s.a. http://www.eacg.de
T: +49 69 153 22 77 50

On 25. May 2018, at 17:56, Gary O'Neall <gary@...> wrote:

For SaaS - the client-side software is the most common and compelling reason to use OpenChain.  My only suggestion is to elaborate a bit more on "client-side software".  I would propose adding "(e.g. browser-based software or agents downloaded by the user)".

There are two other less common situations requiring open source policy updates which my clients have run into:
- Deciding to offer an "on premise" solution for security sensitive customers where the server software is deployed to their customer premises
- A sale/acquisition involving the transfer of assets which would include the server-side software

I don't know if either of these are common enough to include, but I though I would put them out there for consideration.

Gary