Re: Conformance: What does "organization" mean?

Gary O'Neall

Thanks Miriam and Daniel for summarizing the discussions so far.

After working with a small number of larger companies on openchain compliance, requiring the entire “company” to comply with the training has turned out to be a big challenge.  From what I’ve learned over the past 2 years, I believe allowing subgroups (programs) to achieve compliance would speed up openchain adoption.  I believe it is a topic worth revisiting based on this learning.

I wanted to introduce one more concept to the discussion.  It may be worthwhile defining multiple levels, perhaps even a hierarchy for compliance.  We could still have an entire legal entity be compliant.  This would be useful for small companies and larger companies with a more mature compliance environment.  I can think of 3 levels that may be useful:

  • Organization (the legal entity)
  • Program (the subgroup of an organization under a single open source program)
  • Product (distributed software under a program)

When certifying, one could specify whether then entire organization is certified, a program is certified or just a product.

From what I have experienced, Organization and Program would both be used.  I’m less certain if Product would be used for certification, but it has come up in previous conversations.

The downside to this proposal is it would add complexity, but I feel the additional flexibility would enable higher adoption of the specification.

Best regards,

Gary