Re: Conformance: What does "organization" mean?

Jan Thielscher

Dear Shane, dear Alexios,

following your discussion, I get the impression that both of you look at the same but from different angels. The one of you coming from the development the other from the organizational perspective.

Finally, we do have a group of software engineers working for/across whatever kind of legal entity(ies) in an arbitrarily formed structure that produces software. Unfortunately, todays development procedures blur the lines between actively wanted and accidently applied open source usage. Coming from the development perspective, I would doubt, that it will be possible to distinguish an open source program/group or any proprietary development group anymore, however they will be organized.

Just as an indicator: in 8 of 10 assessed software products claimed as proprietary developments, we have found open source components.

Yes, it possible to have restrictive policies forbidding to use any open source at all. But how well does it work?

As we are here to promote the acceptance and adoption of open source by increasing trust, it should be our aim to push the understanding that open source governance – and thus training to complete software staff – is inevitable to any software organization.

Whether this is complicated for a large organization with many developers, whether this is achievable or expensive; all this I could imagine to be moved towards different levels of compliance certification, e.g. a standard cert where it is relevant having understood the requirement up to a platinum cert where an external auditor has confirmed that percentage of randomly picked developers throughout the organization confirmed the skills of an open source training.

Best regards

Jan

Von: <openchain-bounces@...> im Auftrag von Shane Coughlan <coughlan@...>
Datum: Dienstag, 12. Juni 2018 um 21:18
An: "Zavras, Alexios" <alexios.zavras@...>
Cc: "openchain@..." <openchain@...>
Betreff: Re: [OpenChain] Conformance: What does "organization" mean?

Hi Alexios

I think it really depends on the style of company. For example, some companies in Asia often do not allow access to and use of external software without explicit contracts in place, and some block services like GitHub to underline the point.

But perhaps we are touching on an important item here.

There are two true statements at play:

(1) It is a good idea for software staff to know about open source.

(2) OpenChain’s goal is to build trust by confirming a company has adopted the key requirements for a quality open source compliance program.

It does not inherently correlate that training all software staff in an *organization* is needed for this.

It does correlate that software staff involved in the open source *program* should have such training.

This allows customers to quickly ask “has this ProductA you are offering gone through your OpenChain conformant program?” and feel confident that if the answer is “yes” they can expect trained personnel following key requirements for a quality open source compliance program to have signed off on ProductA.

On 12 Jun 2018, at 19:58, Zavras, Alexios <alexios.zavras@...> wrote:

Shane, you write:

The issue of training an entire organization’s Software Staff is perhaps the most frequently cited area of confusion for companies, not least because many larger companies have many staff not related to open source

I do not understand this term (“staff not related to open source”) and I fear that it might be perceived as pointing to a specific, small set of people who “relate to open source” and thus dilute the OpenChain goal.

If there are developers who can open a browser and copy-paste from anywhere to the Supplied Software, they should be considered in the set of people who need to know the basics of Open Source.

Of course I fully agree with the rest of your post that we have always (until now) been talking about a program – and I believe we should keep this.

-- zvr –