Re: For Monday

Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah.foster@...>

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 4:56 AM, Joseph Potvin <jpotvin@...> wrote:
To all,

Here are interesting "Model Trademark Guidelines" for free/libre/open projects:
http://modeltrademarkguidelines.org/index.php?title=Home:_Model_Trademark_Guidelines

To Jeremiah,

If you wish to discuss, please review the information provided prior
to popping off a dismissive retort.

Oh the lulz!

Here's something else from OSI for your thoughtful consideration:
http://wiki.opensource.org/bin/OSI+Operations/OSI-Logo+Misuse
Also, here you can read about the Python Trademark dispute:
http://opensource.com/law/13/2/python-trademark-dispute

Meh. I prefer the recent discussion by FSF and the Free Software Conservancy: https://www.fsf.org/news/canonical-updated-licensing-terms

The approach to trademark described there is similar to the Free Software process itself, liberal and generous. If people say they're using Open Chain's process and they're able to achieve compliance then that is the right outcome. Its highly unlikely that anyone careful enough to follow the process would violate knowingly the Open Chain trademark.

Cheers,

Jeremiah

Joseph Potvin
Operations Manager | Gestionnaire des opérations
The Opman Company | La compagnie Opman
jpotvin@...
Mobile: 819-593-5983

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 10:46 PM, Jeremiah Foster
<jeremiah.foster@...> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 4:41 AM, Joseph Potvin <jpotvin@...> wrote:
>>
>> Jeremiah,
>>
>> Please see the OSI's Trademark Usage Guidelines:
>> http://opensource.org/trademark-guidelines
>>
>> You might also find the OSI-vs-OSHWA tussel about logos interesting:
>>
>> http://www.networkworld.com/article/2190402/data-center/open-source-movements-butt-heads-over-logo.html
>> ...this got resolved as follows: http://opensource.org/node/640
>>
>> You could try to convince people like Richard Fontana, Lawrence Lessig,
>> Eben Moglen, and Mark Radcliffe that trademarks signifying compliance are
>> "legalistic nonsense" in the free/libre/open realm.
>

> I think they'd agree already. You're not going to sue anyone over trademark
> infringement on a project designed to help someone achieve compliance with
> the GPL. That's just silly.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeremiah

Jeremiah C. Foster