Re: OpenChain

Oliver Fendt

Hi all,

I will not be able to participate in the todays call. So I try the email approach.

Regarding the “trademark” discussion my view is in line with Jeremiah as follows:

Our goal shall be to make all our lives easier when it comes to license compliance etc. in the supply chain. We shall provide blue prints, best practices, assessment catalogues etc to others (in such a quality that we can say “…if you use this and that, or if you have successfully passed the assessment from xyz than everything if fine….”). We need a wide use and adoption of all out output. A very good means to maximize the adoption of own work by others it to share it under the conditions of an OSS license. I do not want to enable another business segment of consultants, with the work of OpenChain, squeezing money out of companies. This money should be invested in the compliance activities or in increasing the quality of software but not in paying consultants. Just like Jeremiah said:

“The focus of Open Chain should be in adopting the best practices that exist in the community, not trying to set up some ISO regime that sues people over trademark. Seriously, Open Chain needs to consider policies much more inline with Debian's trademark policy, that will bring the process closer to FOSS practices and out of this maladaptive corporate sphere which really misses the point.”

@ Michel: it is very nice that you are now with OpenChain.

I have read your comments and I do not agree to your view of …” Mainly what I think is not ok is that the first level criteria are too strong, you need to have a smoother approach for companies which have not or have a weak governance process in place”

We struggle since years with companies which have no or a weak governance process ---and this causes a lot of effort time and cost a lot of money and nerves, because they are either not willing to provide the required information (bill of material, license texts, copyright holders, acknowledgements, source code and others) or they are simply not able to provide it. But they have to do it according to copyright law.  We really have to push to get out of this situation. I do not agree with a view of a smoother approach – shall we be fine with half of the required stuff or with old data?  In normal life nobody will approach you in a smooth way if you do not behave according to laws. Or did I misunderstand your comment?

Have a nice Day

Oliver