Re: OpenChain agenda 5/16

Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah.foster@...>

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 1:40 AM, Williams, Kelly <kellyw@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

The presentation and minutes are posted on the wiki https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openchain/minutes.

Thank you Kelly for the minutes and slides -- this is much appreciated.

My feedback;

1. I would like to hear something from OpenChain regarding vendor neutrality in the proposals section. I think it is implied somewhat, but I don't think it would hurt to make this explicit. By vendor neutrality I mean that no particular company, or particular company process, or even a particular community process, is considered the orthodoxy. This allows for greater balance of the "permissive" and "copyleft" dichotomy which I think is also mirrored in the "open source" and "free software" community. That dichotomy is confusing to many companies and ought to be ameliorated as much as it can be and I think neutrality and focus on pragmatic aspects of compliance will best serve those companies involved in open source and hopefully improve the number that are in compliance with all FOSS licenses.

2. I think there have been some important changes in compliance since OpenChain was founded that would be nice for OpenChain to address proactively, namely the community compliance process. This process, largely made public last year, is exemplified by sites like this one: http://copyleft.org/guide/comprehensive-gpl-guidepa2.html but not limited to this. Both the SFC and FSF have resources on community compliance that perhaps might be reused in some way perhaps.

Lastly, thanks everyone for the clear, and clearly communicated proposals. I think this is hugely important for widespread adoption.

Regards,

Jeremiah

Let me know if I missed anything or if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Kelly