Re: Curriculum next steps

Catharina Maracke

Dear Jilayne,
dear all,

The more I read through the documents and the more I think about it, the more I like to idea of having two different formats as suggested by Jilayne and I am wondering whether we should adopt this approach for the OpenChain Curriculum as well?

I would really like to have a short, clean, and easy to read text file, which can be translated and distributed without much further explanation and which would provide a sophisticated overview for people, who like to read something by themselves - most likely in addition to the presentation? I don’t think such a text file can or should replace the (probably) more detailed set of slides we are about to develop, but having two different formats sounds quite useful and elaborate.

Catharina

On May 28, 2016, at 12:56 AM, Jilayne Lovejoy <Jilayne.Lovejoy@...> wrote:

Hi Shane and curriculum team,

I am attaching additional materials contributed by ARM. These are general
training slides from 2 1-hour recorded sessions and a text document
version of the slides used for general education about open source
software. They have been stripped of any corporate material and are
formatted quite plainly (not many pictures, mostly text). They cover most
of the topics listed in OpenChain requirement 1.2

I tried to upload them directly, but need a login, hence attaching them
here.

The slides are in PowerPoint format, but the text file is open document
(as I thought all would need to be in open format, before I read this
email ;) Happy to convert that to a different format if need be.

Why two formats? I found that 1) a video recording (or just slides) is
not as easy to refer back to later, whereas posted text on a website with
a linkable table of contents provides a quick and easy sustainable
resource; and 2) some engineers seem to prefer reading than listening or
watching. Having explained that, format is something the curriculum team
may want to think about - slides need a presenter, whereas reading
materials do not. Of course, reading is not as trackable as attendance to
a presentation - food for thought!

On 5/23/16, 8:22 PM, "openchain-bounces@... on
behalf of Shane Martin Coughlan"
<openchain-bounces@... on behalf of
shane@...> wrote:

Hi Dave

Thanks for confirming!

The list of people who have explicitly stepped forward to participate in
building out the curriculum so far is:
Dave Marr
Jilayne Lovejoy
Kate Stewart
Ramesh Jain
Shane Coughlan
Tom Arcidiacono
If anyone else is interested in contributing just message me or step into
our calls and drafting at any point.

All, the donated slides from Dave (Qualcomm) and Ibrahim (Samsung) have
been uploaded to OneDrive and can be edited by anyone without any log-in
via this URL:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!801&authkey=!AALECD
kajmrhNWw&ithint=folder%2c

There are three files:
(1) Dave’s slides
(2) Ibrahim’s slide
(3) A placeholder document for the OpenChain Curriculum Core Open Source
Compliance slides

As per our last call, the Curriculum Work Team aims to:
(A) Review (1) and (2) to remove any corporate branding or extra slides
(B) Combine them into (3)
(C) Before working on reducing the slide count to result in a
presentation that takes less than an hour.

We are going to aim to get the first rough cut ready in time for our next
call in the third week of June. The end result should support the goals
outlined here:
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/_media/openchain/openchainspec-2016-05-16
-1.pdf
In particular, we want to help support Section 1.2, the 'Mandatory FOSS
training’ requirements. Ideally our slides would help people get started
in this area.

The process is simple. Just open the link, click a file, and select “Edit
in Browser” to get started. I am personally going to get started on (A)
later this week and would appreciate help to trim any remaining corporate
branding or slides which are unnecessary.

Of course we are still accepting submissions of additional material so
just reach out if you want to donate under CC-0.

NOTE #1: Why OneDrive and PowerPoint Online? The original slides were in
PowerPoint format. A search for online systems with easy import and
collaborative editing of these documents resulted in a shortlist of
Google Slides or PowerPoint Online. PowerPoint Online appears to work in
China while Google services are more challenging to access. If anyone
strongly wants us to use another system I am happy to discuss that too.

NOTE #2: Why a public link that anyone can access? Because we want to
encourage everyone to step in and lend a hand. Our goal, as per the
minutes from the last call, is to make a simple, clear set of slides to
support Open Source compliance in the context of OpenChain, and to help
“on-board” people into both compliance best practice and deployment of
OpenChain.

On May 22, 2016, at 7:00 AM, Marr, David <dmarr@...> wrote:

Shane please add me as a member of the curriculum work team.