Re: Root of competence

Christopher Wood

Steve
My observation based on 20+ years in this space is that training by a recognized organization using a designed curriculum is far better than just going to meetings and attending conferences.  Most individuals would have some (or great) difficulty in sifting the wheat from the chaff (opinions and not necessarily facts) offered by the various presenters in this complex and evolving field.  Several of the open source organizations, including OpenChain have published training curriculum or materials that would provide a peer-reviewed foundational knowledge which when combined with individual experience would provide evidence that you meet technical criteria.  Some of the Software Composition Analysis (SCA) vendors do offer "auditing" training on their tools where a certification that you have completed the training is provided (if you want to be  the go-to person in your organization).
These are my thoughts and do not reflect the positions of anyone else.
Best Regards
Chris Wood PhD CISSP

On Thursday, June 24, 2021, 10:21:09 AM CDT, Martin Yagi <martin.yagi@...> wrote:

Dear Steve,

I count my ongoing “training” as attending webinars, industry events, etc.

Best regards,

Martin Yagi

Intellectual Property Manager|