Re: Curriculum next steps

J Lovejoy

Thanks Shane and everyone else who has worked on this!

I have just done a pass and made edits where I felt they were easy or non-controversial and also made some comments in the notes section.
I think section 6 is somewhat challenging, as it feels like there are ALOT of steps. If I was a smaller company looking at that, I’d get dizzy…. Not sure if others feel the same way, so I just made a comment, but did not try to edit, as that potentially involves a lot of changes.

Jilayne

On Sep 29, 2016, at 8:15 PM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Dear all

This is just a recap of the notes posted by Kelly on the 23rd with respect to the Curriculum:

• OpenChain Curriculum Version 1 is now available. Thanks to everyone for their contributions as we iterated, with special thanks for large-scale revisions from Gary and exceptional review, adjustment and refinement from Nathan. Slide here:
https://1drv.ms/p/s!AsXJVqby5kpnhjz7p9yryf8MJUPJ

• The slides are divided into 8 chapters with a “Check Your Understanding” at the end of each chapter

• The slides will be formally launched at LinuxCon Europe in October on the 5th and we will have a 90 minute deep dive on the content -Answers to “Check Your Understanding” will be expanded in a later “handbook” for trainers with a projected release date around December, with work on that starting during our October deep-dive in LinuxCon Europe -Discussion just opened with the Linux Foundation about hosting the “Check Your Understanding” questions and answers as a free online test in the future

Action item:

• There is now a general request for everyone to check the slides to ensure correct terminology or further simplification of language, with a deadline of 30th September for all changes, which may take the form of direct edits or just adding comments to the slides.

On Sep 8, 2016, at 11:28 AM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Dear all

On our last call we talked about bold changes to help get the OpenChain Curriculum training material to be reduced to 100 slides or below for release in October. Thanks to everyone on our team the Final Draft is now substantially complete. Special credit must be given to above-and-beyond editing activity of Nathan, who reassessed and adjusted us from circa 140 towards our target of 100 slides.

The Curriculum now consists of 8 chapters and just under 100 slides with “check your understanding” for every chapter. This maps closely to the OpenChain specification and is designed to (a) enable adopters of OpenChain to more easily meet the specification requirements and (b) allow companies with a more general interest in compliance training to get a head-start on their internal training program.

Your review and final comments ahead of our next call is welcome here:
https://1drv.ms/p/s!AsXJVqby5kpnhjz7p9yryf8MJUPJ

On Sep 2, 2016, at 10:58 PM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Dear all

We have seen substantial progress on the slides with a particular focus on chapter 2, 3 and 6. There is now a final draft version of 142 slides ready for review here:
https://1drv.ms/p/s!AsXJVqby5kpnhjz7p9yryf8MJUPJ

Final items to add are the “check your understanding” items to chapters and then to place the slides into a unified template.

Can anyone assist with adding “check your understanding” items?

On Aug 25, 2016, at 11:43 PM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Dear OpenChain Curriculum volunteers

Chapter 8 is complete, Chapter 9 and 11 are under review. The slides can be found here:
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!799&ithint=file%2cpptx&app=PowerPoint&authkey=!AMPIqg6TBlScFUI

I would like to put out a call to everyone to assist with completing the other chapters ahead of our next meeting. If you can contribute some time within the next two weeks please let me know so that I can help assign chapters that may benefit from the most review.

On Aug 18, 2016, at 12:59 PM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Dear OpenChain Curriculum volunteers

Our status is that the summer vacation pushed us a little behind schedule. However, we are still on-target for an October launch at LinuxCon Europe.

I would like to put out a general call for help in editing and refining our slides during the next month. We need to do two things:
(1) Reduce the overall slide count to around 100 slides from the current 177. This is less daunting than it sounds as there is a lot of duplication or slide consolidation possible.
(2) Help add a single “Check your understanding” slide with five or so bullet point questions to the end of the 11 primary chapters. Some are complete but around half need to be added.

Please dive in and edit freely. We can easily revert any mistakes or removals if needed.

On Jul 19, 2016, at 11:11 AM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Dear OpenChain Curriculum volunteers

Thank you to everyone who attended our discussion on the 18th July to review the slides.

== Outcomes ==

(1) Each chapter is substantially complete. We currently have around 194 slides that need to be refined into about 100 slides for circa 3 hour delivery.
(2) We will “be brave” in condensing material to make it as simple as possible, so everyone should feel free to jump in and condense and/or simplify language.
(3) Where content is deleted from slides we will move it into slide notes to ensure presenters can have context. This is because we cannot assume a level of knowledge for the reader/presenter. We need to facilitate everything from low to high.
(4) We need to add “check your understanding” to most chapters (see below for reference material from Chapter 7). This will ensure each module can work as a stand-alone mini-segment. For the same reason it would be ideal if each chapter could start with a high-level summary.
(5) The status of each chapter is based on reports from assigned Chapter authors (see below for current status). However, everyone is invited to open and edit the slides to help ensure we have a completed deliverable for the next call. The slides can be found here:
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!799&ithint=file%2cpptx&app=PowerPoint&authkey=!AMPIqg6TBlScFUI
Each chapter should end up being somewhere between 8 and 10 slides including the “Check Your Understanding” slide. Please feel free to edit the content of any chapter and hide any slide you think is unnecessary. We can also add blank placeholder slides for individual company processes, to both show that we expect companies to customise, and to help underline that our curriculum material alone is not enough for a solid process.

== Check your understanding ==

The slides are currently split into 12 “chapters” and we will add a one slide “check your understanding” mini-test to end each chapter. Here is an example of the type of thing we are looking for in the “check your understanding” slides taken from Chapter 7, End-to-End Compliance Management:
<Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 10.55.18 AM.png>

The current status of each chapter is below. If there is a question mark next to your name it means I do not know the status of your review:
<Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 10.49.45 AM.png>
You can update your status on our Wiki page:
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openchain/curriculum

On Jul 19, 2016, at 8:31 AM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Thank you very much for your work, Arnold. Much appreciated to have these improvements to the chapter to help take us another step closer to the October release.

On Jul 18, 2016, at 6:13 AM, Niessen, Arnold <arnold.niessen@...> wrote:

Dear Shane, all,

Thanks for all the valuable preparation in setting this up.

I am afraid I can’t join the (for me nightly) call tomorrow.

As I think I can’t edit the review status page, I’ll provide some comment on my changes in section 10,
-I slightly condensed the section
-I propose to rename “Lessons Learned” to “Lessons Learned from Disputes”.
-and added some miscellaneous remarks

Formatting isn’t consistent, but getting it consistent is likely an overall exercise anyway.

Kind regards / Met vriendelijke groeten,
Arnold Niessen
IP Counsel
Nederlands Octrooigemachtigde / European Patent Attorney
Philips Intellectual Property & Standards

High Tech Campus 5.5.0.41, 5656 AE, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Mail Address: P.O. Box 220, 5600 AE Eindhoven, The Netherlands
GSM/SMS: +31 6 1177 3134 (Mobex 93837)
E-mail: arnold.niessen@...
Assistant: Sandra Hermans, +31 6 5282 4722 (mobex 95034)
Intranet: pww.ips.philips.com