Re: Call to Action: MarkDown in the Reference Library

Hi Steve!

So, the baseline doc for the spec is in the GitHub spec repo under translation templates:

Why not adjacent to the spec version PDFs under the official versions sub-folder of that repo?

We did not want to take any risk of people downloading an editable document thinking they were downloading the spec, and the chance of that being accidentally or purposefully altered down the line.

This is the first time we mentioned the concept of potentially messing with the editable spec document format, so we don’t currently have guidance at the repo root.

On Aug 25, 2022, at 0:51, Steve Kilbane <stephen.kilbane@...> wrote:

Hi all,

During this discussion on converting to markdown, it was suggested that the Specification was one of the higher-priority targets. Possibly I’m being dense, but where does the master doc for the spec PDF live? I’m not seeing it in the Specification repo.

A question that came up was “are there tools to do mass/scripted conversion of documents?” As it happens, I was in another meeting today talking about conversion to markdown, and one of my colleagues pointed me at https://pandoc.org – looks perfect for this job to me.

steve

From: main@... <main@...> on behalf of Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...>
Date: Wednesday, 24 August 2022 at 08:17
To: OpenChain Main <main@...>, OpenChain Education <education@...>
Subject: [openchain] Call to Action: MarkDown in the Reference Library

[External]

Register for this free webinar:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_rkeXAYB8TqCcKSOOUuNuDA__;!!A3Ni8CS0y2Y!8j-uQ9ClMgFcPLZmYzhuBYrPLKXklP21s1DA4_Sjiysn0-YWSp_uD0iAdrPXLxo0tObTopqT0EahkRM9Fb1dPzMQYIQWt4g$

One of the outcomes of our recent education mini-summit was a decision to work on converting our existing Word Docs in the OpenChain GitHub reference library to markdown. The market has moved on from our early days of legal teams and management teams sharing documents, and from markdown we can easily convert to any other format.

Lend a hand and help us reach even more people with our huge corpus of reference material (we have about 1,000 documents, so we need help to decide what is first, and how to share workloads around the globe based on people’s own priorities).

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://meetings.hubspot.com/scoughlan__;!!A3Ni8CS0y2Y!8j-uQ9ClMgFcPLZmYzhuBYrPLKXklP21s1DA4_Sjiysn0-YWSp_uD0iAdrPXLxo0tObTopqT0EahkRM9Fb1dPzMQm3jghkY$