Re: Creating a general FAQ for OpenChain

Mark Gisi

What is OpenChain?

The OpenChain Project is focused on identifying common best practices that should be
applied across a supply chain for efficient and effective compliance with Open Source
licenses.
OpenChain has yet to venture to far into providing best practices. And although it will in due time I believe it is a secondary objective. I attempted to describe the current objective as follows:

Q: What is OpenChain?

A: The OpenChain Project identifies and publishes a set of core requirements a quality FOSS compliance program should satisfy. Program requirement conformance fosters trust among software supply chain participates that the open source license compliance obligations have been met for the software that one distributes and/or receives.

This is more technical and could benefit from further wordsmithing. It combines the first two questions into one (What is + Mission). It was not my intent to combined them into one question, but I felt a need to mention the mission in order to answer the question "What is OpenChain"

How does OpenChain work?

There are three parts to the OpenChain Project:
* OpenChain Specification
* OpenChain Curriculum
* OpenChain Conformance
This is another important question to address. I suggest providing a little more detail as follows:

Q: How is the OpenChain Project Organized?

A: The OpenChain Project consists of the following three working groups which are open for anyone to contribute to:
* Specification Working Group - identifies and publishes a set of core requirements a quality FOSS compliance program should satisfy
* Curriculum Working Group - provides training material to help companies meeting the Specification education requirements.
* Conformance Working Group - helps companies check that they are adhering to the Specification requirements

And three governing committees that are determined by paid membership.
* Governing Board - Manage policies or rules and procedures for the Project, fund raising, budgeting and so forth.
* Steering Committee - Development, management and updating of the OpenChain Compliance Specification
* Outreach Committee - designing, developing and executing efforts to build an OpenChain compliance ecosystem throughout relevant supply chains in collaboration with the Governing Board

- Mark