Date

Re: For Monday

Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah.foster@...>

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 4:59 PM, Joseph Potvin <jpotvin@...> wrote:
David,  I propose the following adjustments to your entry (shown here,
and also in the Etherpad)

SP5.5 Use of the OpenChain logo is limited to company level
designations intended for use in relation to organizations, not
products[NEEDS DISCUSSION...]

SP5.5.1 The OpenChain logo is not used until certification is met for
a given version of the specification

So companies going through certification can't use the logo or trademark? That seems a bit restrictive, especially during launch of the overall certification process when you really want to build brand awareness. Perhaps you have the Open Chain logo and you have a "Certified" logo for completing the ISO certification process.

- e.g., "Company X is certified under OpenChain version 1.0"

SP5.5.2 The OpenChain logo is not used on in product marketing
communications packaging must be clearly associated with the
organization, not the product

I'm not sure this will work. What sort of sanctions do you propose might happen should one claim their "product" as "certified"? You'd have to have some kind of meaningful leverage.

Cheers,

Jeremiah

--
Jeremiah C. Foster
GENIVI COMMUNITY MANAGER

Pelagicore AB
Ekelundsgatan 4, 6tr, SE-411 18
Gothenburg, Sweden
M: +46 (0)73 093 0506

Re: For Monday

Joseph Potvin

David, I propose the following adjustments to your entry (shown here,
and also in the Etherpad)

SP5.5 Use of the OpenChain logo is limited to company level
designations intended for use in relation to organizations, not
products[NEEDS DISCUSSION...]

SP5.5.1 The OpenChain logo is not used until certification is met for
a given version of the specification

- e.g., "Company X is certified under OpenChain version 1.0"

SP5.5.2 The OpenChain logo is not used on in product marketing
communications packaging must be clearly associated with the
organization, not the product

Joseph Potvin
Operations Manager | Gestionnaire des opérations
The Opman Company | La compagnie Opman
jpotvin@...
Mobile: 819-593-5983

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 10:49 AM, Marr, David <dmarr@...> wrote:
Hi, I’ve added a proposed additional supporting practice under Goal 5
(“Certification”) on the Etherpad. Since it’s an aspect that I don’t think
we’ve had a chance to discuss, am providing a preview here so that any
interested folks could give some advance thought. During the call I’ll
share the thinking leading to this proposal and hope folks will have
suggestions, comments, correction, etc.

-----

SP5.5 Use of the OpenChain logo is limited to company level designations
[NEEDS DISCUSSION...]

SP5.5.1 The OpenChain logo is not used until certification is met for a
given version

of the specification- e.g., "Company X is certified under OpenChain version
1.0"

SP5.5.2 The OpenChain logo is not used on product packaging

For Monday

Dave Marr

Hi, I’ve added a proposed additional supporting practice under Goal 5 (“Certification”) on the Etherpad.  Since it’s an aspect that I don’t think we’ve had a chance to discuss, am providing a preview here so that any interested folks could give some advance thought.  During the call I’ll share the thinking leading to this proposal and hope folks will have suggestions, comments, correction, etc.

-----

SP5.5 Use of the OpenChain logo is limited to company level designations [NEEDS DISCUSSION...]

SP5.5.1 The OpenChain logo is not used until certification is met for a given version

of the specification- e.g., "Company X is certified under OpenChain version 1.0"

SP5.5.2 The OpenChain logo is not used on product packaging

Re: OpenChain

RUFFIN, MICHEL (MICHEL) <michel.ruffin@...>

I will try to do it next Monday, but not totally sure, I have a meeting with high exec in my company at 11 PDT and need to be ready, since I do the presentation.

I am allowed to speak officially on FOSS issues on the name of Alcatel-Lucent since I am in charge of our FOSS governance process since the beginning in 2002.

This make me think to a new comment on the criteria, there is no differentiation between small and big companies.  In a big company of 60 000 people with a huge turnover,  a lot of outsourcing, partners, suppliers how do you control the behavior of people. This should be reflected someway in the criteria.

Michel

Michel.Ruffin@..., PhD
Software Coordination Manager, COO - Business transformation
Distinguished Member of Technical Staff

Tel +33 6 75 25 21 94
Alcatel-Lucent International, Centre de Villarceau - France