Date

Re: FYI: FOSSology training at LinuxCon NA on August 25

Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah.foster@...>

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 9:47 AM, Nuno Brito <nuno.brito@...> wrote:
In addition, the tooling that does exist is often not suitable for things like embedded GNU/Linux, with clients running on Windows (which is just not used at all in many shops) and tools written in Java that don't integrate into things like Yocto or baserock.

One of the reasons to write tooling in Java is to keep it platform independent.

Well, Java *is* the platform no? :-) Or rather the JVM, and it is definitely not independent, its owned by Oracle and even the open source versions suffer significant politics. Its also an enterprise language, not an embedded language, even Android (which is not Java) has a ton of apps that use C/C++, HTML, CSS, etc.

Speaking for the TripleCheck tooling, integration with Yocto should be possible.

We've done some integration with other Java Eclispse-based tooling in Yocto and it is a poor fit for build from source systems that rely on C, bash and python, for one thing it increases build times significantly. This is a problem when you're doing continuous integration and building entire OS images triggered by changes to git repos. In fact when Yocto integrated SPDX 1.1 it was in python.

Would just ask for some guidance because I'm not a Yocto distributor nor user, but would be happy to enable this feature if there is interest.

I'd say look at the sources that Yocto preserves in a directory of its build image. That might be easy to go over and do SPDX reports on. Embedding a Java tool in Yocto will be quite difficult, not least because you build a cross-compiler toolchain on qemu. You might look at the earlier SPDX implementation to see if there is low-hanging fruit: http://www.pelagicore.com/using-yocto-and-fossology-to-get-spdx-licence-output/   Please note that this is old and SPDX is up to 2.2 for its spec I believe.

Regards,

Jeremiah

Best
Nuno

12.08.2016, 15:34, "Jeremiah Foster" <jeremiah.foster@pelagicore.com>:

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 9:25 AM, Matija Šuklje <matija@...> wrote:
Die 10. 08. 16 et hora 15.42.55 Kate Stewart scripsit:
> We're piloting it in North America, so its free there.  ;-)

That makes sense then :)

> The FOSSology project doesn't have any funding associated with
> it though, so we're looking to charge the fee to recover costs
> (room, refreshments for participants, team travel) associated
> with holding the training.

Ah, didn’t realise that such an important piece of SW for business use is not
properly funded – which is surprising TBH.

This is the main issue -- LF has done a lot here, sponsoring OpenChain and giving resources to Fossology and more, but companies have not stepped up to provide a solid open source ecosystem around the tooling. OpenChain will do a great deal to help but there are currently the open source tooling is far away from the commercial tooling in quality and commercial tools can be expensive. In addition, the tooling that does exist is often not suitable for things like embedded GNU/Linux, with clients running on Windows (which is just not used at all in many shops) and tools written in Java that don't integrate into things like Yocto or baserock.

I'm very thankful for the work of the LF and companies like ARM, Qualcomm, Wind River and of course others, but we need more tools that fit the embedded space and more training on use that is accessible to "engilawyers" as Google sometimes calls them.

I actually find the 100 US$ price tag fair, but was taken aback by the
difference between the two events so close together. Piloting for gratis makes
sense of course. :)

Jeremiah
,

Jeremiah C. Foster
GENIVI COMMUNITY MANAGER

Pelagicore AB
Ekelundsgatan 4, 6tr, SE-411 18
Gothenburg, Sweden
M: +1.860.772.9242

Re: FYI: FOSSology training at LinuxCon NA on August 25

Nuno Brito <nuno.brito@...>

In addition, the tooling that does exist is often not suitable for things like embedded GNU/Linux, with clients running on Windows (which is just not used at all in many shops) and tools written in Java that don't integrate into things like Yocto or baserock.

One of the reasons to write tooling in Java is to keep it platform independent. Speaking for the TripleCheck tooling, integration with Yocto should be possible. Would just ask for some guidance because I'm not a Yocto distributor nor user, but would be happy to enable this feature if there is interest.

http://triplecheck.net

Re: FYI: FOSSology training at LinuxCon NA on August 25

Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah.foster@...>

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 9:25 AM, Matija Šuklje <matija@...> wrote:
Die 10. 08. 16 et hora 15.42.55 Kate Stewart scripsit:
> We're piloting it in North America, so its free there.  ;-)

That makes sense then :)

> The FOSSology project doesn't have any funding associated with
> it though, so we're looking to charge the fee to recover costs
> (room, refreshments for participants, team travel) associated
> with holding the training.

Ah, didn’t realise that such an important piece of SW for business use is not
properly funded – which is surprising TBH.

This is the main issue -- LF has done a lot here, sponsoring OpenChain and giving resources to Fossology and more, but companies have not stepped up to provide a solid open source ecosystem around the tooling. OpenChain will do a great deal to help but there are currently the open source tooling is far away from the commercial tooling in quality and commercial tools can be expensive. In addition, the tooling that does exist is often not suitable for things like embedded GNU/Linux, with clients running on Windows (which is just not used at all in many shops) and tools written in Java that don't integrate into things like Yocto or baserock.

I'm very thankful for the work of the LF and companies like ARM, Qualcomm, Wind River and of course others, but we need more tools that fit the embedded space and more training on use that is accessible to "engilawyers" as Google sometimes calls them.

I actually find the 100 US$ price tag fair, but was taken aback by the
difference between the two events so close together. Piloting for gratis makes
sense of course. :)

Jeremiah

Re: FYI: FOSSology training at LinuxCon NA on August 25

Matija Šuklje

Die 10. 08. 16 et hora 15.42.55 Kate Stewart scripsit:
We're piloting it in North America, so its free there. ;-)
That makes sense then :)

The FOSSology project doesn't have any funding associated with
it though, so we're looking to charge the fee to recover costs
(room, refreshments for participants, team travel) associated
with holding the training.
Ah, didn’t realise that such an important piece of SW for business use is not
properly funded – which is surprising TBH.

I actually find the 100 US$ price tag fair, but was taken aback by the
difference between the two events so close together. Piloting for gratis makes
sense of course. :)

cheers,
Matija
--
gsm: tel:+386.41.849.552
www: http://matija.suklje.name

Re: FYI: FOSSology training at LinuxCon NA on August 25

Kate Stewart

Hi Matija,

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Matija Šuklje <matija@...> wrote:
Die 09. 08. 16 et hora 20.11.22 Jilayne Lovejoy scripsit:
> Perhaps LinuxCon Europe, by any chance… ??  :)

+1

There’s this:
https://linuxconcontainerconeurope2016.sched.org/event/7o9d/fossology-efficient-license-analysis-in-hd-michael-jaeger-siemens-ag

And from what I saw on the registration page there will also be the following
training, but unfortunately for a 100 US$ fee:

We're piloting it in North America, so its free there.  ;-)

The FOSSology project doesn't have any funding associated with
it though, so we're looking to charge the fee to recover costs
(room, refreshments for participants, team travel) associated
with holding the training.

If the cost is a blocking point on attending, please contact me off list.

Thanks, Kate

Re: FYI: FOSSology training at LinuxCon NA on August 25

Matija Šuklje

Die 09. 08. 16 et hora 20.11.22 Jilayne Lovejoy scripsit:
Perhaps LinuxCon Europe, by any chance… ?? :)
+1

There’s this:
https://linuxconcontainerconeurope2016.sched.org/event/7o9d/fossology-efficient-license-analysis-in-hd-michael-jaeger-siemens-ag

And from what I saw on the registration page there will also be the following
training, but unfortunately for a 100 US$ fee:

FOSSology - Hands On Training
Click here to add FOSSology - Hands On Training to your LinuxCon +
ContainerCon Europe registration.

FOSSology is an open source license compliance software system and toolkit.
As a toolkit, you can run license, copyright and export control scans from the
command line. As a system, a database and Web user interface provide you
with a compliance workflow. License, copyright and export scanners are tools
used in the workflow.

Analyzing open source license compliance requires expert knowledge. As a
consequence the use of the tool requires understanding of license analysis
problems and how they are covered by FOSSology. This training will provide the
following elements: - Challenges in real world examples at license analysis of
open source components - Learning how to cope with license proliferation and
custom license texts - Efficiently managing large open source components with
heterogeneous licensing - Saving work with reusing license conclusions of open
source packages when analyzing a newer version - Getting an overview about
an example workflow for component analysis with FOSSology

This course will be valuable to anyone concerned with and involved in Open
Source Management, including operational and legal executives, software
development managers, open source program managers, and developers.

Date: Friday, October 07, 2016 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (GMT)
Location: Bishop, InterContinental Berlin
Price: $100.00

cheers,
Matija
--
gsm: tel:+386.41.849.552
www: http://matija.suklje.name

Re: FYI: FOSSology training at LinuxCon NA on August 25

Jilayne Lovejoy <Jilayne.Lovejoy@...>

Perhaps LinuxCon Europe, by any chance… ??  :)

On 8/9/16, 2:05 PM, "openchain-bounces@... on behalf of Kate Stewart" <openchain-bounces@... on behalf of kstewart@...> wrote:

Hi Jeremiah,
    Its just planned as an in-person course right now,  with the focus on hands-on.

Based on the feedback, we're thinking of having it other future LinuxCon events
for those who can't make it this time.

Kate

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 2:48 PM, Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah.foster@...> wrote:

Thanks Kate! Will the session be recorded or slides published for those who cannot make it?

Regards,

Jeremiah

On Aug 9, 2016 3:40 PM, "Kate Stewart" <kstewart@...> wrote:
Hi,
    Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but some of you have expressed interest in
understanding how to use the latest version of FOSSology (which generates
SPDX output) for doing license reviews, etc. and how to generate artifacts
that will address OpenChain.

   There's been a late addition to the LinuxCon NA, to provide a free training
day on FOSSology.   The course will cover what FOSSology is, how to use it
to do license clearing for projects, how to generate SPDX,  BOM's, etc.
and hands on advice for installing on your system.

   If you're interested in understanding how to install and use FOSSology,  this is a great chance to learn from the expert for free.

   Information on signing up can be found https://lcccna2016.sched.org/event/7pGQ

Thanks, Kate

Sr. Director of Strategic Programs,  The Linux Foundation
Mobile: +1.512.657.3669
Email / Google Talk: kstewart@...

[...]

Re: Follow-up on certification website - use case starting point

Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah.foster@...>

Hi Gary and everyone,

Thanks for the use case documents -- I'll review.

As for implementation, I'd like to propose that I be a test case or "persona" to test the implementation on. For example, one would go through the web site as if they were trying to certify a company for Open Chain compliance and test the material and procedure for any omissions or assumptions made. Doing this sort of real world testing can help improve the process I feel. I'm happy to also volunteer a few hours to do this.

Regards,

Jeremiah

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 2:44 PM, <gary@...> wrote:

Greetings all,

As a follow up to our last OpenChain call, I put together a starting point for use cases for a form based OpenChain certification process.

The use case documents are on Google Docs – anyone with this link can edit the document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LaUnKpD3I1Uda3TI_CJKyIvnz_ZI4hrh4EHLppFKkSM/edit?usp=sharing

If you could use suggestion mode so that we can track the changes.  I did the use cases pretty quickly, so I’m sure I missed some use cases, steps and dependencies.

In terms of a plan for implementation, in the priority I am suggesting a very minimal implementation which does not require authentication and tracking of the users.  I’m not sure this minimal set will be sufficient for the first release.  It may be good to discuss in an upcoming call what we think the minimum website should be.

As I mentioned on the call, I am willing to volunteer a few hours a week to help with the implementation.  Depending how many use cases we plan to implement, I would expect we will need some web development resources in addition to myself to complete this on schedule.  If there are resources from the Linux Foundation or additional volunteers, please let me know and I’ll coordinate with them.

Thanks,

Gary

Gary O'Neall

Principal Consultant

Source Auditor Inc.

Mobile: 408.805.0586

Email: gary@...

[...]

Re: OpenChain meeting 8/1

Miriam Ballhausen <Ballhausen@...>

Hi everyone,

please find attached the slides for the upcoming call on Mon, 8/1 at 9am PST/ 4pm GMT. You'll also find a revised version of the questionnaire.

All the best,
Miriam
Dr. Miriam Ballhausen
Rechtsanwältin

JBB Rechtsanwälte
Jaschinski Biere Brexl Partnerschaft mbB
Christinenstraße 18/19 | 10119 Berlin
Tel. +49.30.443 765 0  |  Fax +49.30.443 765 22
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin | Registergericht AG Charlottenburg | PR 609 B