Date   

Canceled Event: OpenChain (Specification & Conformance ) @ Mon Oct 3, 2016 11am - 12pm (CDT) (kstewart@linuxfoundation.org)

Kate Stewart
 

This event has been canceled and removed from your calendar.

OpenChain (Specification & Conformance )

Welcome to the Open Chain call for the Specification & Certification working groups

Agenda and Minutes: https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openchain/minutes

Join the call: https://www.uberconference.com/katestewart
Optional dial in number: 877-297-7470
Alternate number: 512-910-4433
No PIN needed

If you need to use a local phone number, please consult:
https://www.uberconference.com/international
for the specific country numbers.

1. Dial the local number based on your location.
2. Enter 512 910 4433, then #.

When
Mon Oct 3, 2016 11am – 12pm Central Time
Where
https://www.uberconference.com/katestewart (map)
Calendar
kstewart@...
Who
Kate Stewart - organizer
oliver.fendt@...
Mans Gunnarsson
dmarr@...
hung.chang@...
jbuttura@...
miriam.ballhausen@...
Mark.Gisi@...
shane@...
jilayne.lovejoy@...
openchain@...
ibrahim.h@...
mikeyang@...
mans.gunnerson@...
eileen.evans@...
kellyw@...
gunnar.nilsson@...
cmaracke@...

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this courtesy email at the account openchain@... because you are an attendee of this event.

To stop receiving future updates for this event, decline this event. Alternatively you can sign up for a Google account at https://www.google.com/calendar/ and control your notification settings for your entire calendar.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to modify your RSVP response. Learn More.


[Update] OpenChain (Specification & Conformance )

Kate Stewart
 

The October 3rd meeting will be cancelled as we'll be meeting in person in Berlin this week.

OpenChain (Specification & Conformance )

Welcome to the Open Chain call for the Specification & Certification working groups

Agenda and Minutes: https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openchain/minutes

Join the call: https://www.uberconference.com/katestewart
Optional dial in number: 877-297-7470
Alternate number: 512-910-4433
No PIN needed

If you need to use a local phone number, please consult:
https://www.uberconference.com/international
for the specific country numbers.

1. Dial the local number based on your location.
2. Enter 512 910 4433, then #.

When
Mon Oct 3, 2016 11am – 12pm Central Time
Where
https://www.uberconference.com/katestewart (map)
Who
Kate Stewart - organizer
mikeyang@...
eileen.evans@...
ibrahim.h@...
Mark.Gisi@...
dmarr@...
kellyw@...
gunnar.nilsson@...
jilayne.lovejoy@...
mans.gunnerson@...
hung.chang@...
Mans Gunnarsson
shane@...
cmaracke@...
jbuttura@...
oliver.fendt@...
miriam.ballhausen@...
openchain@...


OpenChain: Pre-Event in Berlin

Miriam Ballhausen <Miriam.Ballhausen@...>
 

Hi everyone,

as Dave mentioned, we’ll have a pre-event the evening before LinuxCon Europe, that is the evening of October 3rd. Here's what we have planned for that evening:


(Optional) 4:00 p.m.: first pick up at LinuxCon venue (Miriam) - trip to Berlin Wall Memorial via Potsdamer Platz and so-called “ghost stations"

4:45 p.m.: guided tour through Berlin Wall Memorial (
http://www.berliner-mauer-gedenkstaette.de/en/) - afterwards: walk to dinner location

5:45 a.m.: second pick up at LinuxCon venue (Catharina)

6:30 p.m.: arrival at dinner location (KatzOrange, Bergstraße 22, 10115 Berlin)

7:00 p.m.: dinner

(Optional): 9:30 p.m.: late night special visit to TV tower (about 15/20 minute walk from dinner venue) - see festival of lights at Alexanderplatz and Brandenburg Gate (EUR 14,- p.p.; we can try and get the tickets that same evening, but I’d suggest to pre-order them online before)

afterwards: catch the Bus 200 from Alexanderplatz which takes you back to the LinuxCon event venue (stop right in front of it) and goes by many sights (e.g. Museums Insel, Unter den Linden, Potsdamer Platz; bus leaves appr. every 15 minutes).

 

Berlin Wall Memorial:

I copied the link to their website above. The memorial is located in the area around the former checkpoint Bornholmer Straße, which was for West Berliners, citizens of the Federal Republic, GDR citizens, and diplomats (by road). It was also the first to open in 1989. The wall is partially intact in that area and we have a guide who’ll walk us through the area in about an hour.

 

 

Dinner location:

The Katz Orange serves what they call "slow food". It's a mix of traditional Berlin dishes and modern cuisine. You can check out their menu at www.katzorange.com/menu. We'll pre-order a selection of dishes to share and try for everyone. Please let me know, if we need to keep special requests in mind (e.g. glutenfree etc.).

 

 

Transportation:

Berlin Wall Memorial and dinner location, as well as the TV tower and Brandenburg Gate are in the eastern part of Berlin, while the LinuxCon event location is in the west. So, we'll need to get across town. Catharina and I will pick up those, who want to use public transportation (first pick up at 4 p.m., second pick up at 5:45 p.m.). Tickets cost EUR 2,70 p.p. and one way. So, if you join the group at the LinuxCon event venue and want to take the Bus 200 from Alexanderplatz back to the hotel, transportation will cost EUR 5,40. The tickets can be bought on the bus. However, to avoid the "real" Berlin experience (being snapped at by the bus driver), Catharina and I will have a couple of tickets at hand.

Of course, there also cabs. However, as October 3rd is the national holiday in Germany, chances of getting stuck in traffic are rather high.

If you want to join the pre-event, please get in touch with Kelly Williams (cc.) and also let me know:

  • if you'll join the group for the first pick up plus visit to Berlin Wall Memorial or the second pick up going directly to the dinner location
  • if you need tickets for public transportation (one way or two ways)
  • if you want to attend any optional events (e.g. TV tower) and would like to pre-order tickets.

Looking forward to seeing you in Berlin!

 

Miriam

 

--

Dr. Miriam Ballhausen

Legal Counsel

 

Telefon: +49 30 200 566 205

Mobil: +49 173 38 567 56
miriam.ballhausen@...

 

 

Alte Jakobstraße 85/86,
10179 Berlin
Deutschland

Telefonzentrale +49 30 200 566 0 Fax +49 30 200 566 1 


www.lumesse.de

 

 

Lumesse

 

 

Lumesse GmbH,
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamborner Straße 51, 40472 Düsseldorf
Amtsgericht Düsseldorf, HRB 40857
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Carsten Busch, Michael Hunt.

 


: Next Call September 6

Miriam Ballhausen <Miriam.Ballhausen@...>
 

Hi everyone,

 

please find attached the slides for our next call on Tuesday September 6, 2016, as well as the Conformance Check document.

 

Gary, thank you for your input regarding the use cases. I moved the content from your google document to an etherpad document, which can be accessed here: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/OpenChainConformance. I changed the wording to align with the specification and also added some introductory or explanatory texts, which I’d like to discuss during our next call. Finally, I suggest to break use case 1.2 up into two use cases: partially completed conformance check and “pick up where you left of”. What do you think?

 

Looking forward to talking to you on Tuesday.

Miriam

 

--

Dr. Miriam Ballhausen

Legal Counsel

 

Telefon: +49 30 200 566 205

Mobil: +49 173 38 567 56
miriam.ballhausen@...

 

 

Alte Jakobstraße 85/86,
10179 Berlin
Deutschland

Telefonzentrale +49 30 200 566 0 Fax +49 30 200 566 1 


www.lumesse.de

 

 

Lumesse

 

 

Lumesse GmbH,
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamborner Straße 51, 40472 Düsseldorf
Amtsgericht Düsseldorf, HRB 40857
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Carsten Busch, Michael Hunt.

 


Re: Curriculum next steps

Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...>
 

Dear all

We have seen substantial progress on the slides with a particular focus on chapter 2, 3 and 6. There is now a final draft version of 142 slides ready for review here:
https://1drv.ms/p/s!AsXJVqby5kpnhjz7p9yryf8MJUPJ

Final items to add are the “check your understanding” items to chapters and then to place the slides into a unified template.

Can anyone assist with adding “check your understanding” items?

Regards

Shane

On Aug 25, 2016, at 11:43 PM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Dear OpenChain Curriculum volunteers

Chapter 8 is complete, Chapter 9 and 11 are under review. The slides can be found here:
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!799&ithint=file%2cpptx&app=PowerPoint&authkey=!AMPIqg6TBlScFUI

I would like to put out a call to everyone to assist with completing the other chapters ahead of our next meeting. If you can contribute some time within the next two weeks please let me know so that I can help assign chapters that may benefit from the most review.

Regards

Shane

On Aug 18, 2016, at 12:59 PM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Dear OpenChain Curriculum volunteers

Our status is that the summer vacation pushed us a little behind schedule. However, we are still on-target for an October launch at LinuxCon Europe.

I would like to put out a general call for help in editing and refining our slides during the next month. We need to do two things:
(1) Reduce the overall slide count to around 100 slides from the current 177. This is less daunting than it sounds as there is a lot of duplication or slide consolidation possible.
(2) Help add a single “Check your understanding” slide with five or so bullet point questions to the end of the 11 primary chapters. Some are complete but around half need to be added.

Please dive in and edit freely. We can easily revert any mistakes or removals if needed.

The slides can be found here:
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!799&ithint=file%2cpptx&app=PowerPoint&authkey=!AMPIqg6TBlScFUI

Regards

Shane

On Jul 19, 2016, at 11:11 AM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Dear OpenChain Curriculum volunteers

Thank you to everyone who attended our discussion on the 18th July to review the slides.

== Outcomes ==

(1) Each chapter is substantially complete. We currently have around 194 slides that need to be refined into about 100 slides for circa 3 hour delivery.
(2) We will “be brave” in condensing material to make it as simple as possible, so everyone should feel free to jump in and condense and/or simplify language.
(3) Where content is deleted from slides we will move it into slide notes to ensure presenters can have context. This is because we cannot assume a level of knowledge for the reader/presenter. We need to facilitate everything from low to high.
(4) We need to add “check your understanding” to most chapters (see below for reference material from Chapter 7). This will ensure each module can work as a stand-alone mini-segment. For the same reason it would be ideal if each chapter could start with a high-level summary.
(5) The status of each chapter is based on reports from assigned Chapter authors (see below for current status). However, everyone is invited to open and edit the slides to help ensure we have a completed deliverable for the next call. The slides can be found here:
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!799&ithint=file%2cpptx&app=PowerPoint&authkey=!AMPIqg6TBlScFUI
Each chapter should end up being somewhere between 8 and 10 slides including the “Check Your Understanding” slide. Please feel free to edit the content of any chapter and hide any slide you think is unnecessary. We can also add blank placeholder slides for individual company processes, to both show that we expect companies to customise, and to help underline that our curriculum material alone is not enough for a solid process.

== Check your understanding ==

The slides are currently split into 12 “chapters” and we will add a one slide “check your understanding” mini-test to end each chapter. Here is an example of the type of thing we are looking for in the “check your understanding” slides taken from Chapter 7, End-to-End Compliance Management:
<Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 10.55.18 AM.png>

The current status of each chapter is below. If there is a question mark next to your name it means I do not know the status of your review:
<Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 10.49.45 AM.png>
You can update your status on our Wiki page:
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openchain/curriculum

Regards

Shane
On Jul 19, 2016, at 8:31 AM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Thank you very much for your work, Arnold. Much appreciated to have these improvements to the chapter to help take us another step closer to the October release.

Regards

Shane

On Jul 18, 2016, at 6:13 AM, Niessen, Arnold <arnold.niessen@...> wrote:

Dear Shane, all,

Thanks for all the valuable preparation in setting this up.

I am afraid I can’t join the (for me nightly) call tomorrow.

As I think I can’t edit the review status page, I’ll provide some comment on my changes in section 10,
-I slightly condensed the section
-I propose to rename “Lessons Learned” to “Lessons Learned from Disputes”.
-and added some miscellaneous remarks

Formatting isn’t consistent, but getting it consistent is likely an overall exercise anyway.

Kind regards / Met vriendelijke groeten,
Arnold Niessen
IP Counsel
Nederlands Octrooigemachtigde / European Patent Attorney
Philips Intellectual Property & Standards

High Tech Campus 5.5.0.41, 5656 AE, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Mail Address: P.O. Box 220, 5600 AE Eindhoven, The Netherlands
GSM/SMS: +31 6 1177 3134 (Mobex 93837)
E-mail: arnold.niessen@...
Assistant: Sandra Hermans, +31 6 5282 4722 (mobex 95034)
Intranet: pww.ips.philips.com
Internet: www.ip.philips.com
Free on Wednesdays

From: openchain-bounces@... [mailto:openchain-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Shane Martin Coughlan
Sent: donderdag 23 juni 2016 8:44
To: openchain@...
Subject: Re: [OpenChain] Curriculum next steps

Dear OpenChain Curriculum volunteers

As discussed on our recent meeting we have around 175 slides that need to be refined into about 100 slides for circa 3 hour delivery. The slides are currently split into 12 “chapters” and we will add a one slide “check your understanding” mini-test to end each chapter. We will assign one “chapter” to each explicit OpenChain Curriculum volunteer for this editing process. Coincidentally we have twelve volunteers:
Dave Marr
Jilayne Lovejoy
Kate Stewart
Ramesh Jain
Shane Coughlan
Tom Arcidiacono
Gary O'Neall
Hung Chang
Catharina Maracke
Arnold Niessen
Mark Radcliffe
Nathan Kumagai

I have taken the liberty of randomly assigning chapters to every volunteer for review:
<image002.png>

Each chapter should end up being somewhere between 8 and 10 slides including the “Check Your Understanding” slide. Please feel free to edit the content of your assigned chapter and hide any slide you think is unnecessary. We can also add blank placeholder slides for individual company processes, to both show that we expect companies to customise, and to help underline that our curriculum material alone is not enough for a solid process.

Thanks to Kate we have a page on the wiki to track our progress:
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openchain/curriculum

Here is the direct link to our slides:
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!799&ithint=file%2cpptx&app=PowerPoint&authkey=!AMPIqg6TBlScFUI

If anyone has any objections to the above process and assignments please let me know. Otherwise, let’s proceed and aim to circle back before our next call on the third Monday on July. Prior to that I hope that our editing will be substantially complete and we can discuss a simple mapping of Curriculum slide chapters to the Specification.

Regards

Shane


On Jun 16, 2016, at 9:57 PM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Dear all

In advance of our call next Monday please find the latest version of our draft slides here:
https://1drv.ms/p/s!AsXJVqby5kpnhh_DyKoOkwZUnBVC

Please note this is a “living document” and everyone should feel free to jump in, refine and improve.

Our source material can be found here:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!709&authkey=!APTnTvWbiPQLJsc&ithint=folder%2cdoc

Thank you once again to everyone who contributed slides under CC-0 and thank you in advance to everyone who will help us refine the initial OpenChain Curriculum slides over the coming month.

Regards

Shane


On Jun 6, 2016, at 9:34 PM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Hi Arnold, thank you very much for your contribution!

All, the various slides and handout materials are now uploaded here:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!709&authkey=!APTnTvWbiPQLJsc&ithint=folder%2cdoc

The current goal is to place the core content from the various slides into the 'OpenChain-Curriculum-Core-Open-Source-Compliance-SLIDES/pptx’ document. Everyone should be able to open and edit files without signing in.

Later we will circle back to the two handout files to create our OpenChain handout.

Regards

Shane


On Jun 3, 2016, at 21:49 , Niessen, Arnold <arnold.niessen@...> wrote:

Dear Shane, all,

Could you please add me to the list too? The calls are at a slightly difficult time (2am CET) but I'd still like to contribute where I can.

I have seen some very high quality materials already. I'd like to attach one of our internal documents that doesn't have too much overlap with the previous materials. This document tries to catch most of the compliance obligations at a high level in a few pages but without explaining any background, so it isn't overwhelming from its size, but it aims to whet the appetite for the background materials.

Kind regards / Met vriendelijke groeten,
Arnold Niessen
IP Counsel
Nederlands Octrooigemachtigde / European Patent Attorney
Philips Intellectual Property & Standards

High Tech Campus 5.5.0.41, 5656 AE, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Mail Address: P.O. Box 220, 5600 AE Eindhoven, The Netherlands
GSM/SMS: +31 6 1177 3134 (Mobex 93837)
E-mail: arnold.niessen@...
Assistant: Sandra Hermans, +31 6 5282 4722 (mobex 95034)
Intranet: pww.ips.philips.com
Internet: www.ip.philips.com
Free on Wednesdays

-----Original Message-----
From: openchain-bounces@...[mailto:openchain-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Shane Martin Coughlan
Sent: dinsdag 24 mei 2016 4:22
To: Marr, David <dmarr@...>
Cc: openchain@...
Subject: Re: [OpenChain] Curriculum next steps

Hi Dave

Thanks for confirming!

The list of people who have explicitly stepped forward to participate in building out the curriculum so far is:
Dave Marr
Jilayne Lovejoy
Kate Stewart
Ramesh Jain
Shane Coughlan
Tom Arcidiacono
If anyone else is interested in contributing just message me or step into our calls and drafting at any point.

All, the donated slides from Dave (Qualcomm) and Ibrahim (Samsung) have been uploaded to OneDrive and can be edited by anyone without any log-in via this URL:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!801&authkey=!AALECDkajmrhNWw&ithint=folder%2c

There are three files:
(1) Dave’s slides
(2) Ibrahim’s slide
(3) A placeholder document for the OpenChain Curriculum Core Open Source Compliance slides

As per our last call, the Curriculum Work Team aims to:
(A) Review (1) and (2) to remove any corporate branding or extra slides
(B) Combine them into (3)
(C) Before working on reducing the slide count to result in a presentation that takes less than an hour.

We are going to aim to get the first rough cut ready in time for our next call in the third week of June. The end result should support the goals outlined here:
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/_media/openchain/openchainspec-2016-05-16-1.pdf
In particular, we want to help support Section 1.2, the 'Mandatory FOSS training’ requirements. Ideally our slides would help people get started in this area.

The process is simple. Just open the link, click a file, and select “Edit in Browser” to get started. I am personally going to get started on (A) later this week and would appreciate help to trim any remaining corporate branding or slides which are unnecessary.

Of course we are still accepting submissions of additional material so just reach out if you want to donate under CC-0.

Regards

Shane

NOTE #1: Why OneDrive and PowerPoint Online? The original slides were in PowerPoint format. A search for online systems with easy import and collaborative editing of these documents resulted in a shortlist of Google Slides or PowerPoint Online. PowerPoint Online appears to work in China while Google services are more challenging to access. If anyone strongly wants us to use another system I am happy to discuss that too.

NOTE #2: Why a public link that anyone can access? Because we want to encourage everyone to step in and lend a hand. Our goal, as per the minutes from the last call, is to make a simple, clear set of slides to support Open Source compliance in the context of OpenChain, and to help “on-board” people into both compliance best practice and deployment of OpenChain.


On May 22, 2016, at 7:00 AM, Marr, David <dmarr@...> wrote:

Shane please add me as a member of the curriculum work team.

Thanks,
Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: openchain-bounces@...[mailto:openchain-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Shane Martin Coughlan
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2016 10:51 PM
To: openchain@...
Subject: [OpenChain] Curriculum next steps

Dear OpenChain project members

Thank you to everyone who contributed to our last call and to many others who expressed interest in contributing to our curriculum work team.

The specific proposals to launch the work team were:
(1) We provide high level process management slides that can be adopted and expanded by any company seeking to undertake Open Source compliance;
(2) We will create the first iteration of these slides in a three month (3 call) window, with most of the actual work happening offline;
(3) We re-use existing material that is available (or can be made available) under a CC-0 license;
(4) We keep things simple to make adoption, translation and understand as straightforward as possible.

These proposals were accepted by the curriculum work team members present.

What this means for the team is:
(1) An initial version of the slides going online for editing next week;
(2) The team working on the slides for the next month to prepare the first draft;
(3) Review of the slides will take place on our second call to assess status and where we need to focus energy;
(4) The subsequent month will apply focus to these points before resulting in our first deliverable for consideration in the third call.

I will send an email next week with details of how we will collaborate online.

Regards

Shane
_______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@...
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain

_______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@...
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain

________________________________
The information contained in this message may be confidential and legally protected under applicable law. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, forwarding, dissemination, or reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.
<20160603_Readme_for_SourceCode_WrittenOffer_Licenses_Acknowledgements.doc>


_______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@...
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain
_______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@...
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain
_______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@...
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain
_______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@...
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain


Re: Reminder: OpenChain Specification FAQ review

Mark Gisi
 

Thanks Till. Updates have been made to the FAQ list to address both of your comments. More specifically, on 1. I added the following definition:

The expression "quality FOSS compliance artifacts" needs some explanation.
The following definition was added:
FOSS compliance artifacts consisted of: source code, build scripts, license copies, attributes notices, modification notices and other materials FOSS licenses governing a software deliverable may require.


- Mark


-----Original Message-----
From: openchain-bounces@... [mailto:openchain-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Till Jaeger
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 10:38 AM
To: openchain@...
Subject: Re: [OpenChain] Reminder: OpenChain Specification FAQ review



Am 26.08.2016 um 19:29 schrieb Gisi, Mark:
Reminder: The OpenChain specification *FAQ* *list* can be found here:

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openchain/spec-faq



The /FAQ content is currently under review/ and your feedback is requested.
Some short remarks:

1.
"What is the objective of the of the of the OpenChain specification?"

The expression "quality FOSS compliance artifacts" needs some explanation.

2.
"How was the specification developed?"

Something is wrong with point 1: "Ordered List ItemKnow your Free"

Missing link for "The Supplier License Compliance Audit (SLCA)"

3.
FAQ "What is the Supplier License Compliance Audit (SLCA) for? would be helpful.

Otherwise, it looks good to me.

Best,

Till




We plan on finalizing the FAQ list at the next Spec working group
meeting on September 6^th .



Best,

- Mark





*Mark Gisi | Wind River | Director, IP & Open Source ***

*Tel (510) 749-2016 | Fax (510) 749-4552*





_______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@...
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain
_______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@...
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain


Re: Reminder: OpenChain Specification FAQ review

Till Jaeger
 

Am 26.08.2016 um 19:29 schrieb Gisi, Mark:
Reminder: The OpenChain specification *FAQ* *list* can be found here:

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openchain/spec-faq



The /FAQ content is currently under review/ and your feedback is requested.
Some short remarks:

1.
"What is the objective of the of the of the OpenChain specification?"

The expression "quality FOSS compliance artifacts" needs some explanation.

2.
"How was the specification developed?"

Something is wrong with point 1: "Ordered List ItemKnow your Free"

Missing link for "The Supplier License Compliance Audit (SLCA)"

3.
FAQ "What is the Supplier License Compliance Audit (SLCA) for? would be helpful.

Otherwise, it looks good to me.

Best,

Till




We plan on finalizing the FAQ list at the next Spec working group meeting on
September 6^th .



Best,

- Mark





*Mark Gisi | Wind River | Director, IP & Open Source ***

*Tel (510) 749-2016 | Fax (510) 749-4552*





_______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@...
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain


Reminder: OpenChain Specification FAQ review

Mark Gisi
 

Reminder: The OpenChain specification FAQ list can be found here:

    https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openchain/spec-faq

 

The FAQ content is currently under review and your feedback is requested. We plan on finalizing the FAQ list at the next Spec working group meeting on September 6th.

 

Best,

- Mark

 

 

Mark Gisi | Wind River | Director, IP & Open Source

Tel (510) 749-2016 | Fax (510) 749-4552

 


Re: comments on OpenChain Compliance 2016-H1 Specification

Mark Gisi
 

Hi Till,

You provide an excellent piece of feedback which appears to be consistent with the spec design principles. That is, it identifies an important (core) step in the compliance process that should (probably) be represented without committing to a specific method or practice for achieving it.

Although the first version of the specification has been finalized, your feedback is still timely in that we are embarking on the next revision round in September. I added your comments to the issues list for consideration.

Keep the feedback coming...

Best,
Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: openchain-bounces@... [mailto:openchain-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Till Jaeger
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 8:42 AM
To: openchain@...
Subject: [OpenChain] comments on OpenChain Compliance 2016-H1 Specification

Hi all,

I know it is not very well received starting comments after (most of) the work is done. I apologize for having reviewed the Specification so late.

I'm very happy with the current draft but I have one major issue for consideration (in this or a later version): in my experience, it is a common problem that companies do not (properly) identify the license conditions of the applicable licenses.

Thus, I recommend to add something in the specification like "(process for) identifying license conditions of applicable FOSS licenses".

This could be a subsection of "Review and Approve FOSS Content" or an own main section ("Knowing License Conditions").

What do you think?

Best regards,

Till

--
Dr. Till Jaeger
Certified Copyright and Media Law Attorney


JBB Rechtsanwälte
Jaschinski Biere Brexl Partnerschaft mbB Christinenstraße 18/19 | 10119 Berlin Tel. +49.30.443 765 0 | Fax +49.30.443 765 22 Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin | Registergericht AG Charlottenburg | PR 609 B www.jbb.de _______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@...
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain


comments on OpenChain Compliance 2016-H1 Specification

Till Jaeger
 

Hi all,

I know it is not very well received starting comments after (most of) the
work is done. I apologize for having reviewed the Specification so late.

I'm very happy with the current draft but I have one major issue for
consideration (in this or a later version): in my experience, it is a common
problem that companies do not (properly) identify the license conditions of
the applicable licenses.

Thus, I recommend to add something in the specification like "(process for)
identifying license conditions of applicable FOSS licenses".

This could be a subsection of "Review and Approve FOSS Content" or an own
main section ("Knowing License Conditions").

What do you think?

Best regards,

Till

--
Dr. Till Jaeger
Certified Copyright and Media Law Attorney


JBB Rechtsanwälte
Jaschinski Biere Brexl Partnerschaft mbB
Christinenstraße 18/19 | 10119 Berlin
Tel. +49.30.443 765 0 | Fax +49.30.443 765 22
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin | Registergericht AG Charlottenburg | PR 609 B
www.jbb.de


Re: Curriculum next steps

Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...>
 

Dear OpenChain Curriculum volunteers

Chapter 8 is complete, Chapter 9 and 11 are under review. The slides can be found here:
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!799&ithint=file%2cpptx&app=PowerPoint&authkey=!AMPIqg6TBlScFUI

I would like to put out a call to everyone to assist with completing the other chapters ahead of our next meeting. If you can contribute some time within the next two weeks please let me know so that I can help assign chapters that may benefit from the most review.

Regards

Shane

On Aug 18, 2016, at 12:59 PM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Dear OpenChain Curriculum volunteers

Our status is that the summer vacation pushed us a little behind schedule. However, we are still on-target for an October launch at LinuxCon Europe.

I would like to put out a general call for help in editing and refining our slides during the next month. We need to do two things:
(1) Reduce the overall slide count to around 100 slides from the current 177. This is less daunting than it sounds as there is a lot of duplication or slide consolidation possible.
(2) Help add a single “Check your understanding” slide with five or so bullet point questions to the end of the 11 primary chapters. Some are complete but around half need to be added.

Please dive in and edit freely. We can easily revert any mistakes or removals if needed.

The slides can be found here:
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!799&ithint=file%2cpptx&app=PowerPoint&authkey=!AMPIqg6TBlScFUI

Regards

Shane

On Jul 19, 2016, at 11:11 AM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Dear OpenChain Curriculum volunteers

Thank you to everyone who attended our discussion on the 18th July to review the slides.

== Outcomes ==

(1) Each chapter is substantially complete. We currently have around 194 slides that need to be refined into about 100 slides for circa 3 hour delivery.
(2) We will “be brave” in condensing material to make it as simple as possible, so everyone should feel free to jump in and condense and/or simplify language.
(3) Where content is deleted from slides we will move it into slide notes to ensure presenters can have context. This is because we cannot assume a level of knowledge for the reader/presenter. We need to facilitate everything from low to high.
(4) We need to add “check your understanding” to most chapters (see below for reference material from Chapter 7). This will ensure each module can work as a stand-alone mini-segment. For the same reason it would be ideal if each chapter could start with a high-level summary.
(5) The status of each chapter is based on reports from assigned Chapter authors (see below for current status). However, everyone is invited to open and edit the slides to help ensure we have a completed deliverable for the next call. The slides can be found here:
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!799&ithint=file%2cpptx&app=PowerPoint&authkey=!AMPIqg6TBlScFUI
Each chapter should end up being somewhere between 8 and 10 slides including the “Check Your Understanding” slide. Please feel free to edit the content of any chapter and hide any slide you think is unnecessary. We can also add blank placeholder slides for individual company processes, to both show that we expect companies to customise, and to help underline that our curriculum material alone is not enough for a solid process.

== Check your understanding ==

The slides are currently split into 12 “chapters” and we will add a one slide “check your understanding” mini-test to end each chapter. Here is an example of the type of thing we are looking for in the “check your understanding” slides taken from Chapter 7, End-to-End Compliance Management:
<Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 10.55.18 AM.png>

The current status of each chapter is below. If there is a question mark next to your name it means I do not know the status of your review:
<Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 10.49.45 AM.png>
You can update your status on our Wiki page:
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openchain/curriculum

Regards

Shane
On Jul 19, 2016, at 8:31 AM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Thank you very much for your work, Arnold. Much appreciated to have these improvements to the chapter to help take us another step closer to the October release.

Regards

Shane

On Jul 18, 2016, at 6:13 AM, Niessen, Arnold <arnold.niessen@...> wrote:

Dear Shane, all,

Thanks for all the valuable preparation in setting this up.

I am afraid I can’t join the (for me nightly) call tomorrow.

As I think I can’t edit the review status page, I’ll provide some comment on my changes in section 10,
-I slightly condensed the section
-I propose to rename “Lessons Learned” to “Lessons Learned from Disputes”.
-and added some miscellaneous remarks

Formatting isn’t consistent, but getting it consistent is likely an overall exercise anyway.

Kind regards / Met vriendelijke groeten,
Arnold Niessen
IP Counsel
Nederlands Octrooigemachtigde / European Patent Attorney
Philips Intellectual Property & Standards

High Tech Campus 5.5.0.41, 5656 AE, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Mail Address: P.O. Box 220, 5600 AE Eindhoven, The Netherlands
GSM/SMS: +31 6 1177 3134 (Mobex 93837)
E-mail: arnold.niessen@...
Assistant: Sandra Hermans, +31 6 5282 4722 (mobex 95034)
Intranet: pww.ips.philips.com
Internet: www.ip.philips.com
Free on Wednesdays

From: openchain-bounces@... [mailto:openchain-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Shane Martin Coughlan
Sent: donderdag 23 juni 2016 8:44
To: openchain@...
Subject: Re: [OpenChain] Curriculum next steps

Dear OpenChain Curriculum volunteers

As discussed on our recent meeting we have around 175 slides that need to be refined into about 100 slides for circa 3 hour delivery. The slides are currently split into 12 “chapters” and we will add a one slide “check your understanding” mini-test to end each chapter. We will assign one “chapter” to each explicit OpenChain Curriculum volunteer for this editing process. Coincidentally we have twelve volunteers:
Dave Marr
Jilayne Lovejoy
Kate Stewart
Ramesh Jain
Shane Coughlan
Tom Arcidiacono
Gary O'Neall
Hung Chang
Catharina Maracke
Arnold Niessen
Mark Radcliffe
Nathan Kumagai

I have taken the liberty of randomly assigning chapters to every volunteer for review:
<image002.png>

Each chapter should end up being somewhere between 8 and 10 slides including the “Check Your Understanding” slide. Please feel free to edit the content of your assigned chapter and hide any slide you think is unnecessary. We can also add blank placeholder slides for individual company processes, to both show that we expect companies to customise, and to help underline that our curriculum material alone is not enough for a solid process.

Thanks to Kate we have a page on the wiki to track our progress:
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openchain/curriculum

Here is the direct link to our slides:
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!799&ithint=file%2cpptx&app=PowerPoint&authkey=!AMPIqg6TBlScFUI

If anyone has any objections to the above process and assignments please let me know. Otherwise, let’s proceed and aim to circle back before our next call on the third Monday on July. Prior to that I hope that our editing will be substantially complete and we can discuss a simple mapping of Curriculum slide chapters to the Specification.

Regards

Shane


On Jun 16, 2016, at 9:57 PM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Dear all

In advance of our call next Monday please find the latest version of our draft slides here:
https://1drv.ms/p/s!AsXJVqby5kpnhh_DyKoOkwZUnBVC

Please note this is a “living document” and everyone should feel free to jump in, refine and improve.

Our source material can be found here:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!709&authkey=!APTnTvWbiPQLJsc&ithint=folder%2cdoc

Thank you once again to everyone who contributed slides under CC-0 and thank you in advance to everyone who will help us refine the initial OpenChain Curriculum slides over the coming month.

Regards

Shane


On Jun 6, 2016, at 9:34 PM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Hi Arnold, thank you very much for your contribution!

All, the various slides and handout materials are now uploaded here:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!709&authkey=!APTnTvWbiPQLJsc&ithint=folder%2cdoc

The current goal is to place the core content from the various slides into the 'OpenChain-Curriculum-Core-Open-Source-Compliance-SLIDES/pptx’ document. Everyone should be able to open and edit files without signing in.

Later we will circle back to the two handout files to create our OpenChain handout.

Regards

Shane


On Jun 3, 2016, at 21:49 , Niessen, Arnold <arnold.niessen@...> wrote:

Dear Shane, all,

Could you please add me to the list too? The calls are at a slightly difficult time (2am CET) but I'd still like to contribute where I can.

I have seen some very high quality materials already. I'd like to attach one of our internal documents that doesn't have too much overlap with the previous materials. This document tries to catch most of the compliance obligations at a high level in a few pages but without explaining any background, so it isn't overwhelming from its size, but it aims to whet the appetite for the background materials.

Kind regards / Met vriendelijke groeten,
Arnold Niessen
IP Counsel
Nederlands Octrooigemachtigde / European Patent Attorney
Philips Intellectual Property & Standards

High Tech Campus 5.5.0.41, 5656 AE, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Mail Address: P.O. Box 220, 5600 AE Eindhoven, The Netherlands
GSM/SMS: +31 6 1177 3134 (Mobex 93837)
E-mail: arnold.niessen@...
Assistant: Sandra Hermans, +31 6 5282 4722 (mobex 95034)
Intranet: pww.ips.philips.com
Internet: www.ip.philips.com
Free on Wednesdays

-----Original Message-----
From: openchain-bounces@...[mailto:openchain-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Shane Martin Coughlan
Sent: dinsdag 24 mei 2016 4:22
To: Marr, David <dmarr@...>
Cc: openchain@...
Subject: Re: [OpenChain] Curriculum next steps

Hi Dave

Thanks for confirming!

The list of people who have explicitly stepped forward to participate in building out the curriculum so far is:
Dave Marr
Jilayne Lovejoy
Kate Stewart
Ramesh Jain
Shane Coughlan
Tom Arcidiacono
If anyone else is interested in contributing just message me or step into our calls and drafting at any point.

All, the donated slides from Dave (Qualcomm) and Ibrahim (Samsung) have been uploaded to OneDrive and can be edited by anyone without any log-in via this URL:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!801&authkey=!AALECDkajmrhNWw&ithint=folder%2c

There are three files:
(1) Dave’s slides
(2) Ibrahim’s slide
(3) A placeholder document for the OpenChain Curriculum Core Open Source Compliance slides

As per our last call, the Curriculum Work Team aims to:
(A) Review (1) and (2) to remove any corporate branding or extra slides
(B) Combine them into (3)
(C) Before working on reducing the slide count to result in a presentation that takes less than an hour.

We are going to aim to get the first rough cut ready in time for our next call in the third week of June. The end result should support the goals outlined here:
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/_media/openchain/openchainspec-2016-05-16-1.pdf
In particular, we want to help support Section 1.2, the 'Mandatory FOSS training’ requirements. Ideally our slides would help people get started in this area.

The process is simple. Just open the link, click a file, and select “Edit in Browser” to get started. I am personally going to get started on (A) later this week and would appreciate help to trim any remaining corporate branding or slides which are unnecessary.

Of course we are still accepting submissions of additional material so just reach out if you want to donate under CC-0.

Regards

Shane

NOTE #1: Why OneDrive and PowerPoint Online? The original slides were in PowerPoint format. A search for online systems with easy import and collaborative editing of these documents resulted in a shortlist of Google Slides or PowerPoint Online. PowerPoint Online appears to work in China while Google services are more challenging to access. If anyone strongly wants us to use another system I am happy to discuss that too.

NOTE #2: Why a public link that anyone can access? Because we want to encourage everyone to step in and lend a hand. Our goal, as per the minutes from the last call, is to make a simple, clear set of slides to support Open Source compliance in the context of OpenChain, and to help “on-board” people into both compliance best practice and deployment of OpenChain.


On May 22, 2016, at 7:00 AM, Marr, David <dmarr@...> wrote:

Shane please add me as a member of the curriculum work team.

Thanks,
Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: openchain-bounces@...[mailto:openchain-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Shane Martin Coughlan
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2016 10:51 PM
To: openchain@...
Subject: [OpenChain] Curriculum next steps

Dear OpenChain project members

Thank you to everyone who contributed to our last call and to many others who expressed interest in contributing to our curriculum work team.

The specific proposals to launch the work team were:
(1) We provide high level process management slides that can be adopted and expanded by any company seeking to undertake Open Source compliance;
(2) We will create the first iteration of these slides in a three month (3 call) window, with most of the actual work happening offline;
(3) We re-use existing material that is available (or can be made available) under a CC-0 license;
(4) We keep things simple to make adoption, translation and understand as straightforward as possible.

These proposals were accepted by the curriculum work team members present.

What this means for the team is:
(1) An initial version of the slides going online for editing next week;
(2) The team working on the slides for the next month to prepare the first draft;
(3) Review of the slides will take place on our second call to assess status and where we need to focus energy;
(4) The subsequent month will apply focus to these points before resulting in our first deliverable for consideration in the third call.

I will send an email next week with details of how we will collaborate online.

Regards

Shane
_______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@...
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain

_______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@...
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain

________________________________
The information contained in this message may be confidential and legally protected under applicable law. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, forwarding, dissemination, or reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.
<20160603_Readme_for_SourceCode_WrittenOffer_Licenses_Acknowledgements.doc>


_______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@...
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain
_______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@...
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain
_______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@...
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain
_______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@...
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain


OpenChain Conformance Check/ EU-US Privacy Shield

Miriam Ballhausen <miriam.ballhausen@...>
 

Hi everyone,

I was digging through the EU-US Privacy Shield documents today. In my opinion, we might be able to borrow some inspiration for the conformance check we are trying to set up. The Privacy Shield also sets up a self-certification process for companies, but there's also an option to have a third party certifying your compliances with the Privacy Shield principles. The certification process also requires that written documents (e.g. the data privacy policy) are taken a closer look at. Being part of the Privacy Shield makes certain business transactions easier and the documents provides for legal steps against those wrongfully claiming they're part of the Privacy Shield. Most importantyl though, they also ask for the certification to be annually renewed and a fee has to be paid for the initial certification and the renewal.

I attached the documents to this email for your convenience (the relevant pages are 19 through 50) and I'd like to put some ideas up for discussion during our next call on 09/06.

All the best,
Miriam


--
Dr. Miriam Ballhausen
E-Mail: Miriam.Ballhausen@googlemail.com



Re: Curriculum next steps

Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...>
 

Dear OpenChain Curriculum volunteers

Our status is that the summer vacation pushed us a little behind schedule. However, we are still on-target for an October launch at LinuxCon Europe.

I would like to put out a general call for help in editing and refining our slides during the next month. We need to do two things:
(1) Reduce the overall slide count to around 100 slides from the current 177. This is less daunting than it sounds as there is a lot of duplication or slide consolidation possible.
(2) Help add a single “Check your understanding” slide with five or so bullet point questions to the end of the 11 primary chapters. Some are complete but around half need to be added.

Please dive in and edit freely. We can easily revert any mistakes or removals if needed.

The slides can be found here:
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!799&ithint=file%2cpptx&app=PowerPoint&authkey=!AMPIqg6TBlScFUI

Regards

Shane

On Jul 19, 2016, at 11:11 AM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Dear OpenChain Curriculum volunteers

Thank you to everyone who attended our discussion on the 18th July to review the slides.

== Outcomes ==

(1) Each chapter is substantially complete. We currently have around 194 slides that need to be refined into about 100 slides for circa 3 hour delivery.
(2) We will “be brave” in condensing material to make it as simple as possible, so everyone should feel free to jump in and condense and/or simplify language.
(3) Where content is deleted from slides we will move it into slide notes to ensure presenters can have context. This is because we cannot assume a level of knowledge for the reader/presenter. We need to facilitate everything from low to high.
(4) We need to add “check your understanding” to most chapters (see below for reference material from Chapter 7). This will ensure each module can work as a stand-alone mini-segment. For the same reason it would be ideal if each chapter could start with a high-level summary.
(5) The status of each chapter is based on reports from assigned Chapter authors (see below for current status). However, everyone is invited to open and edit the slides to help ensure we have a completed deliverable for the next call. The slides can be found here:
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!799&ithint=file%2cpptx&app=PowerPoint&authkey=!AMPIqg6TBlScFUI
Each chapter should end up being somewhere between 8 and 10 slides including the “Check Your Understanding” slide. Please feel free to edit the content of any chapter and hide any slide you think is unnecessary. We can also add blank placeholder slides for individual company processes, to both show that we expect companies to customise, and to help underline that our curriculum material alone is not enough for a solid process.

== Check your understanding ==

The slides are currently split into 12 “chapters” and we will add a one slide “check your understanding” mini-test to end each chapter. Here is an example of the type of thing we are looking for in the “check your understanding” slides taken from Chapter 7, End-to-End Compliance Management:
<Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 10.55.18 AM.png>

The current status of each chapter is below. If there is a question mark next to your name it means I do not know the status of your review:
<Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 10.49.45 AM.png>
You can update your status on our Wiki page:
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openchain/curriculum

Regards

Shane
On Jul 19, 2016, at 8:31 AM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Thank you very much for your work, Arnold. Much appreciated to have these improvements to the chapter to help take us another step closer to the October release.

Regards

Shane

On Jul 18, 2016, at 6:13 AM, Niessen, Arnold <arnold.niessen@...> wrote:

Dear Shane, all,

Thanks for all the valuable preparation in setting this up.

I am afraid I can’t join the (for me nightly) call tomorrow.

As I think I can’t edit the review status page, I’ll provide some comment on my changes in section 10,
-I slightly condensed the section
-I propose to rename “Lessons Learned” to “Lessons Learned from Disputes”.
-and added some miscellaneous remarks

Formatting isn’t consistent, but getting it consistent is likely an overall exercise anyway.

Kind regards / Met vriendelijke groeten,
Arnold Niessen
IP Counsel
Nederlands Octrooigemachtigde / European Patent Attorney
Philips Intellectual Property & Standards

High Tech Campus 5.5.0.41, 5656 AE, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Mail Address: P.O. Box 220, 5600 AE Eindhoven, The Netherlands
GSM/SMS: +31 6 1177 3134 (Mobex 93837)
E-mail: arnold.niessen@...
Assistant: Sandra Hermans, +31 6 5282 4722 (mobex 95034)
Intranet: pww.ips.philips.com
Internet: www.ip.philips.com
Free on Wednesdays

From: openchain-bounces@... [mailto:openchain-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Shane Martin Coughlan
Sent: donderdag 23 juni 2016 8:44
To: openchain@...
Subject: Re: [OpenChain] Curriculum next steps

Dear OpenChain Curriculum volunteers

As discussed on our recent meeting we have around 175 slides that need to be refined into about 100 slides for circa 3 hour delivery. The slides are currently split into 12 “chapters” and we will add a one slide “check your understanding” mini-test to end each chapter. We will assign one “chapter” to each explicit OpenChain Curriculum volunteer for this editing process. Coincidentally we have twelve volunteers:
Dave Marr
Jilayne Lovejoy
Kate Stewart
Ramesh Jain
Shane Coughlan
Tom Arcidiacono
Gary O'Neall
Hung Chang
Catharina Maracke
Arnold Niessen
Mark Radcliffe
Nathan Kumagai

I have taken the liberty of randomly assigning chapters to every volunteer for review:
<image002.png>

Each chapter should end up being somewhere between 8 and 10 slides including the “Check Your Understanding” slide. Please feel free to edit the content of your assigned chapter and hide any slide you think is unnecessary. We can also add blank placeholder slides for individual company processes, to both show that we expect companies to customise, and to help underline that our curriculum material alone is not enough for a solid process.

Thanks to Kate we have a page on the wiki to track our progress:
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openchain/curriculum

Here is the direct link to our slides:
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!799&ithint=file%2cpptx&app=PowerPoint&authkey=!AMPIqg6TBlScFUI

If anyone has any objections to the above process and assignments please let me know. Otherwise, let’s proceed and aim to circle back before our next call on the third Monday on July. Prior to that I hope that our editing will be substantially complete and we can discuss a simple mapping of Curriculum slide chapters to the Specification.

Regards

Shane


On Jun 16, 2016, at 9:57 PM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Dear all

In advance of our call next Monday please find the latest version of our draft slides here:
https://1drv.ms/p/s!AsXJVqby5kpnhh_DyKoOkwZUnBVC

Please note this is a “living document” and everyone should feel free to jump in, refine and improve.

Our source material can be found here:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!709&authkey=!APTnTvWbiPQLJsc&ithint=folder%2cdoc

Thank you once again to everyone who contributed slides under CC-0 and thank you in advance to everyone who will help us refine the initial OpenChain Curriculum slides over the coming month.

Regards

Shane


On Jun 6, 2016, at 9:34 PM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

Hi Arnold, thank you very much for your contribution!

All, the various slides and handout materials are now uploaded here:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!709&authkey=!APTnTvWbiPQLJsc&ithint=folder%2cdoc

The current goal is to place the core content from the various slides into the 'OpenChain-Curriculum-Core-Open-Source-Compliance-SLIDES/pptx’ document. Everyone should be able to open and edit files without signing in.

Later we will circle back to the two handout files to create our OpenChain handout.

Regards

Shane


On Jun 3, 2016, at 21:49 , Niessen, Arnold <arnold.niessen@...> wrote:

Dear Shane, all,

Could you please add me to the list too? The calls are at a slightly difficult time (2am CET) but I'd still like to contribute where I can.

I have seen some very high quality materials already. I'd like to attach one of our internal documents that doesn't have too much overlap with the previous materials. This document tries to catch most of the compliance obligations at a high level in a few pages but without explaining any background, so it isn't overwhelming from its size, but it aims to whet the appetite for the background materials.

Kind regards / Met vriendelijke groeten,
Arnold Niessen
IP Counsel
Nederlands Octrooigemachtigde / European Patent Attorney
Philips Intellectual Property & Standards

High Tech Campus 5.5.0.41, 5656 AE, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Mail Address: P.O. Box 220, 5600 AE Eindhoven, The Netherlands
GSM/SMS: +31 6 1177 3134 (Mobex 93837)
E-mail: arnold.niessen@...
Assistant: Sandra Hermans, +31 6 5282 4722 (mobex 95034)
Intranet: pww.ips.philips.com
Internet: www.ip.philips.com
Free on Wednesdays

-----Original Message-----
From: openchain-bounces@...[mailto:openchain-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Shane Martin Coughlan
Sent: dinsdag 24 mei 2016 4:22
To: Marr, David <dmarr@...>
Cc: openchain@...
Subject: Re: [OpenChain] Curriculum next steps

Hi Dave

Thanks for confirming!

The list of people who have explicitly stepped forward to participate in building out the curriculum so far is:
Dave Marr
Jilayne Lovejoy
Kate Stewart
Ramesh Jain
Shane Coughlan
Tom Arcidiacono
If anyone else is interested in contributing just message me or step into our calls and drafting at any point.

All, the donated slides from Dave (Qualcomm) and Ibrahim (Samsung) have been uploaded to OneDrive and can be edited by anyone without any log-in via this URL:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=674AE6F2A656C9C5!801&authkey=!AALECDkajmrhNWw&ithint=folder%2c

There are three files:
(1) Dave’s slides
(2) Ibrahim’s slide
(3) A placeholder document for the OpenChain Curriculum Core Open Source Compliance slides

As per our last call, the Curriculum Work Team aims to:
(A) Review (1) and (2) to remove any corporate branding or extra slides
(B) Combine them into (3)
(C) Before working on reducing the slide count to result in a presentation that takes less than an hour.

We are going to aim to get the first rough cut ready in time for our next call in the third week of June. The end result should support the goals outlined here:
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/_media/openchain/openchainspec-2016-05-16-1.pdf
In particular, we want to help support Section 1.2, the 'Mandatory FOSS training’ requirements. Ideally our slides would help people get started in this area.

The process is simple. Just open the link, click a file, and select “Edit in Browser” to get started. I am personally going to get started on (A) later this week and would appreciate help to trim any remaining corporate branding or slides which are unnecessary.

Of course we are still accepting submissions of additional material so just reach out if you want to donate under CC-0.

Regards

Shane

NOTE #1: Why OneDrive and PowerPoint Online? The original slides were in PowerPoint format. A search for online systems with easy import and collaborative editing of these documents resulted in a shortlist of Google Slides or PowerPoint Online. PowerPoint Online appears to work in China while Google services are more challenging to access. If anyone strongly wants us to use another system I am happy to discuss that too.

NOTE #2: Why a public link that anyone can access? Because we want to encourage everyone to step in and lend a hand. Our goal, as per the minutes from the last call, is to make a simple, clear set of slides to support Open Source compliance in the context of OpenChain, and to help “on-board” people into both compliance best practice and deployment of OpenChain.


On May 22, 2016, at 7:00 AM, Marr, David <dmarr@...> wrote:

Shane please add me as a member of the curriculum work team.

Thanks,
Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: openchain-bounces@...[mailto:openchain-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Shane Martin Coughlan
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2016 10:51 PM
To: openchain@...
Subject: [OpenChain] Curriculum next steps

Dear OpenChain project members

Thank you to everyone who contributed to our last call and to many others who expressed interest in contributing to our curriculum work team.

The specific proposals to launch the work team were:
(1) We provide high level process management slides that can be adopted and expanded by any company seeking to undertake Open Source compliance;
(2) We will create the first iteration of these slides in a three month (3 call) window, with most of the actual work happening offline;
(3) We re-use existing material that is available (or can be made available) under a CC-0 license;
(4) We keep things simple to make adoption, translation and understand as straightforward as possible.

These proposals were accepted by the curriculum work team members present.

What this means for the team is:
(1) An initial version of the slides going online for editing next week;
(2) The team working on the slides for the next month to prepare the first draft;
(3) Review of the slides will take place on our second call to assess status and where we need to focus energy;
(4) The subsequent month will apply focus to these points before resulting in our first deliverable for consideration in the third call.

I will send an email next week with details of how we will collaborate online.

Regards

Shane
_______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@...
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain

_______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@...
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain

________________________________
The information contained in this message may be confidential and legally protected under applicable law. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, forwarding, dissemination, or reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.
<20160603_Readme_for_SourceCode_WrittenOffer_Licenses_Acknowledgements.doc>


_______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@...
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain
_______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@...
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain
_______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@...
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain


Re: OpenChain agenda 8/15

Kelly Williams
 

The minutes are posted on the wiki https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openchain/minutes.

 

Let me know if I missed anything or if you have any questions.

 

Thanks!

Kelly

 

 

From: openchain-bounces@... [mailto:openchain-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Williams, Kelly
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2016 2:49 PM
To: openchain@...
Subject: [OpenChain] OpenChain agenda 8/15

 

Hi Everyone,

 

Reminder the focus on the upcoming call on Mon, 8/15 at 5pm PST will be on the Specification and Curriculum. 

 

Join the call: https://www.uberconference.com/katestewart

Optional dial in number: 877-297-7470

Alternate number: 512-910-4433

No PIN needed

 

If you need to use a local phone number, please consult:

https://www.uberconference.com/international

for the specific country numbers.

 

1. Dial the local number based on your location.

2. Enter 512 910 4433, then #.

 

Regards,

Kelly

 


Updated Invitation: OpenChain (Specification & Certification ) @ Monthly from 11am to 12pm on the first Monday from Mon Jun 6 to Mon Oct 3 (CDT) (kstewart@linuxfoundation.org)

Kate Stewart
 

This event has been changed.

OpenChain (Specification & Certification )

Welcome to the Open Chain call for the Specification & Certification working groups

Agenda and Minutes: https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openchain/minutes

Join the call: https://www.uberconference.com/katestewart
Optional dial in number: 877-297-7470
Alternate number: 512-910-4433
No PIN needed

If you need to use a local phone number, please consult:
https://www.uberconference.com/international
for the specific country numbers.

1. Dial the local number based on your location.
2. Enter 512 910 4433, then #.

When
Changed: Monthly from 11am to 12pm on the first Monday from Mon Jun 6 to Mon Oct 3 Central Time
Where
https://www.uberconference.com/katestewart (map)
Calendar
kstewart@...
Who
Kate Stewart - organizer
openchain@...
kellyw@...
shane@...
mikeyang@...
dmarr@...
gunnar.nilsson@...
oliver.fendt@...
ballhausen@...
hung.chang@...
jbuttura@...
ibrahim.h@...
Mark.Gisi@...
eileen.evans@...
cmaracke@...
jilayne.lovejoy@...

Going?   All events in this series:   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this courtesy email at the account openchain@... because you are an attendee of this event.

To stop receiving future updates for this event, decline this event. Alternatively you can sign up for a Google account at https://www.google.com/calendar/ and control your notification settings for your entire calendar.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to modify your RSVP response. Learn More.


Updated Invitation: OpenChain (Specification & Conformance ) @ Monthly from 11am to 12pm on the first Monday (CDT) (kstewart@linuxfoundation.org)

Kate Stewart
 

This event has been changed.

Changed: OpenChain (Specification & Conformance )

Welcome to the Open Chain call for the Specification & Certification working groups

Agenda and Minutes: https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openchain/minutes

Join the call: https://www.uberconference.com/katestewart
Optional dial in number: 877-297-7470
Alternate number: 512-910-4433
No PIN needed

If you need to use a local phone number, please consult:
https://www.uberconference.com/international
for the specific country numbers.

1. Dial the local number based on your location.
2. Enter 512 910 4433, then #.

When
Changed: Monthly from 11am to 12pm on the first Monday Central Time
Where
https://www.uberconference.com/katestewart (map)
Calendar
kstewart@...
Who
Kate Stewart - organizer
Mark.Gisi@...
cmaracke@...
openchain@...
gunnar.nilsson@...
jilayne.lovejoy@...
ibrahim.h@...
oliver.fendt@...
hung.chang@...
dmarr@...
kellyw@...
shane@...
jbuttura@...
eileen.evans@...
mikeyang@...
miriam.ballhausen@...

Going?   All events in this series:   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this courtesy email at the account openchain@... because you are an attendee of this event.

To stop receiving future updates for this event, decline this event. Alternatively you can sign up for a Google account at https://www.google.com/calendar/ and control your notification settings for your entire calendar.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to modify your RSVP response. Learn More.


Updated Invitation: OpenChain (Specification & Certification ) @ Tue Sep 6, 2016 11am - 12pm (CDT) (kstewart@linuxfoundation.org)

Kate Stewart
 

This event has been changed.

OpenChain (Specification & Certification )

Welcome to the Open Chain call for the Specification & Certification working groups

Agenda and Minutes: https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openchain/minutes

Join the call: https://www.uberconference.com/katestewart
Optional dial in number: 877-297-7470
Alternate number: 512-910-4433
No PIN needed

If you need to use a local phone number, please consult:
https://www.uberconference.com/international
for the specific country numbers.

1. Dial the local number based on your location.
2. Enter 512 910 4433, then #.

When
Changed: Tue Sep 6, 2016 11am – 12pm Central Time
Where
https://www.uberconference.com/katestewart (map)
Calendar
kstewart@...
Who
Kate Stewart - organizer
kellyw@...
eileen.evans@...
cmaracke@...
openchain@...
jilayne.lovejoy@...
gunnar.nilsson@...
ibrahim.h@...
Mark.Gisi@...
jbuttura@...
hung.chang@...
mikeyang@...
shane@...
dmarr@...
oliver.fendt@...
miriam.ballhausen@...

Going?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this courtesy email at the account openchain@... because you are an attendee of this event.

To stop receiving future updates for this event, decline this event. Alternatively you can sign up for a Google account at https://www.google.com/calendar/ and control your notification settings for your entire calendar.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to modify your RSVP response. Learn More.


[Update] OpenChain (Specification & Certification )

Kate Stewart
 

Hi,
We're going to be moving the next OpenChain meeting to Tuesday 9/6 from Monday 9/5 as 9/5 is a holiday in the US. Meeting will be at same time.

Thanks, Kate

OpenChain (Specification & Certification )

Welcome to the Open Chain call for the Specification & Certification working groups

Agenda and Minutes: https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openchain/minutes

Join the call: https://www.uberconference.com/katestewart
Optional dial in number: 877-297-7470
Alternate number: 512-910-4433
No PIN needed

If you need to use a local phone number, please consult:
https://www.uberconference.com/international
for the specific country numbers.

1. Dial the local number based on your location.
2. Enter 512 910 4433, then #.

When
Mon Sep 5, 2016 11am – 12pm Central Time
Where
https://www.uberconference.com/katestewart (map)
Who
Kate Stewart - organizer
Mark.Gisi@...
cmaracke@...
openchain@...
gunnar.nilsson@...
ballhausen@...
jilayne.lovejoy@...
ibrahim.h@...
oliver.fendt@...
hung.chang@...
dmarr@...
kellyw@...
shane@...
jbuttura@...
eileen.evans@...
mikeyang@...


Re: OpenChain agenda 8/15

Kelly Williams
 

Please find attached the agenda slides.  Thanks, Kelly

 

From: openchain-bounces@... [mailto:openchain-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Williams, Kelly
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2016 2:49 PM
To: openchain@...
Subject: [OpenChain] OpenChain agenda 8/15

 

Hi Everyone,

 

Reminder the focus on the upcoming call on Mon, 8/15 at 5pm PST will be on the Specification and Curriculum. 

 

Join the call: https://www.uberconference.com/katestewart

Optional dial in number: 877-297-7470

Alternate number: 512-910-4433

No PIN needed

 

If you need to use a local phone number, please consult:

https://www.uberconference.com/international

for the specific country numbers.

 

1. Dial the local number based on your location.

2. Enter 512 910 4433, then #.

 

Regards,

Kelly

 


Re: FYI: FOSSology training at LinuxCon NA on August 25

Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah.foster@...>
 

(Dropped Matija from CC since I think he's on the list.)

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 12:42 PM, Nuno Brito <nuno.brito@...> wrote:
Well, Java *is* the platform no? :-) Or rather the JVM, and it is definitely not independent, its owned by Oracle and even the open source versions suffer significant politics. Its also an enterprise language, not an embedded language, even Android (which is not Java) has a ton of apps that use C/C++, HTML, CSS, etc.
 
OpenJDK is the default JVM. Oracle might dislike, but so is the GPL nature: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenJDK#Release_of_the_class_library
 
Interesting enough is that Java is too an embedded language, reason why 2 billion older generation devices got a JVM by default before smartphones as Android surfaced, which also recently moved to OpenJDK: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/30/android_openjdk/ So, would say it is quite a battle field between major organizations, same as Linux or OpenStack alike. However, I am Java fan so anything that I write on this topic will be too biased towards making Java look good, my apologies.. :-)

No need to apologize! We all have our selection bias -- mine is perl so you can imagine the kind of pushback I get. :-}
 
We've done some integration with other Java Eclispse-based tooling in Yocto and it is a poor fit for build from source systems that rely on C, bash and python, for one thing it increases build times significantly. This is a problem when you're doing continuous integration and building entire OS images triggered by changes to git repos. In fact when Yocto integrated SPDX 1.1 it was in python.
 
You would probably have more interest in a command line edition than a GUI tool. On my work laptop a vanilla Linux kernel takes some 15 minutes on the first run to be analyzed and output an SPDX. After that only the modified files get scanned so we are talking about a few seconds to get the fresh SPDX file.

Okay, that sounds interesting. I'll test the tool against the artifacts that a GENIVI development platform produces and report back to you. Where do you do your development? GitHub?
 
I'd say look at the sources that Yocto preserves in a directory of its build image. That might be easy to go over and do SPDX reports on. Embedding a Java tool in Yocto will be quite difficult, not least because you build a cross-compiler toolchain on qemu. You might look at the earlier SPDX implementation to see if there is low-hanging fruit: http://www.pelagicore.com/using-yocto-and-fossology-to-get-spdx-licence-output/   Please note that this is old and SPDX is up to 2.2 for its spec I believe.
 
Ok, will do. When ready will contact you in private to help on the testing side if you don't mind.

I don't mind at all, I'm very happy to help. Happy to move this to another forum to keep the signal to noise ratio better for the rest of this list who may not be interested. :-)

Cheers,

Jeremiah
 
 
Thanks,
Nuno
 
 
 
12.08.2016, 16:05, "Jeremiah Foster" <jeremiah.foster@pelagicore.com>:


On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 9:47 AM, Nuno Brito <nuno.brito@...> wrote:
In addition, the tooling that does exist is often not suitable for things like embedded GNU/Linux, with clients running on Windows (which is just not used at all in many shops) and tools written in Java that don't integrate into things like Yocto or baserock.
 
One of the reasons to write tooling in Java is to keep it platform independent.
 
Well, Java *is* the platform no? :-) Or rather the JVM, and it is definitely not independent, its owned by Oracle and even the open source versions suffer significant politics. Its also an enterprise language, not an embedded language, even Android (which is not Java) has a ton of apps that use C/C++, HTML, CSS, etc.
 
Speaking for the TripleCheck tooling, integration with Yocto should be possible.
 
We've done some integration with other Java Eclispse-based tooling in Yocto and it is a poor fit for build from source systems that rely on C, bash and python, for one thing it increases build times significantly. This is a problem when you're doing continuous integration and building entire OS images triggered by changes to git repos. In fact when Yocto integrated SPDX 1.1 it was in python. 
 
Would just ask for some guidance because I'm not a Yocto distributor nor user, but would be happy to enable this feature if there is interest.
 
I'd say look at the sources that Yocto preserves in a directory of its build image. That might be easy to go over and do SPDX reports on. Embedding a Java tool in Yocto will be quite difficult, not least because you build a cross-compiler toolchain on qemu. You might look at the earlier SPDX implementation to see if there is low-hanging fruit: http://www.pelagicore.com/using-yocto-and-fossology-to-get-spdx-licence-output/   Please note that this is old and SPDX is up to 2.2 for its spec I believe.
 
Regards,
 
Jeremiah
 
 
Best
Nuno
 
12.08.2016, 15:34, "Jeremiah Foster" <jeremiah.foster@pelagicore.com>:


On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 9:25 AM, Matija Šuklje <matija@...> wrote:
Die 10. 08. 16 et hora 15.42.55 Kate Stewart scripsit:
> We're piloting it in North America, so its free there.  ;-)

That makes sense then :)

> The FOSSology project doesn't have any funding associated with
> it though, so we're looking to charge the fee to recover costs
> (room, refreshments for participants, team travel) associated
> with holding the training.

Ah, didn’t realise that such an important piece of SW for business use is not
properly funded – which is surprising TBH.
 
This is the main issue -- LF has done a lot here, sponsoring OpenChain and giving resources to Fossology and more, but companies have not stepped up to provide a solid open source ecosystem around the tooling. OpenChain will do a great deal to help but there are currently the open source tooling is far away from the commercial tooling in quality and commercial tools can be expensive. In addition, the tooling that does exist is often not suitable for things like embedded GNU/Linux, with clients running on Windows (which is just not used at all in many shops) and tools written in Java that don't integrate into things like Yocto or baserock. 
 
I'm very thankful for the work of the LF and companies like ARM, Qualcomm, Wind River and of course others, but we need more tools that fit the embedded space and more training on use that is accessible to "engilawyers" as Google sometimes calls them.
 

I actually find the 100 US$ price tag fair, but was taken aback by the
difference between the two events so close together. Piloting for gratis makes
sense of course. :)
 
+1
 
Cheers,
 
Jeremiah 
,

_______________________________________________
OpenChain mailing list
OpenChain@lists.linuxfoundation.org
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/openchain

 
 
 


 
--
Jeremiah C. Foster
GENIVI COMMUNITY MANAGER
 
Pelagicore AB
Ekelundsgatan 4, 6tr, SE-411 18
Gothenburg, Sweden
 
 
 



--
Jeremiah C. Foster
GENIVI COMMUNITY MANAGER

Pelagicore AB
Ekelundsgatan 4, 6tr, SE-411 18
Gothenburg, Sweden
M: +1.860.772.9242

4381 - 4400 of 4821