Date

External Webinar: OSS License Compliance: Practical Strategies for OpenChain ISO/IEC 5230:2020

The OpenChain Project had the pleasure of working with the FOSSA team for another webinar explaining aspects of open source license compliance. This time, the practical way you actually adopt ISO/IEC 5230, the international standard for compliance.

Check out the webinar:
https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/17752/554463?utm_source=FOSSA&utm_medium=outreach&utm_campaign=554463

Get the slide deck:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/18uKp22XvwmHbVgrQhFox0_w7kAPxpbtyTSs38jwXtbw/edit?mkt_tok=MjQ2LUpWQS04MDQAAAGGlr0KRnO0bKPXREUoYsyYE_flUgjM5hFTNYWol6eluaHERxFiqiOWrCgfmAIYOo86OFGfimCinP4bW8ampltVKgiLM5NEKzDqAzN7QzWQwQ#slide=id.g112aba54042_0_62

While you are reviewing FOSSA webinars you may also want to check out ‘The Lawyer’s Guide to OSS License Compliance Tools, Featuring Heather Meeker.’ Heather has long been one of the main lawyers providing useful, practical insight into industry optimization around open source.

You will find it here:
https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/17752/547934?utm_source=brighttalk-portal&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=channel-feed

REMINDER: Call to action today: playbooks for the OpenChain Project @ 08:30 UTC (14:00 IST, 16:30 CST, 17:30 KST+JST)

REMINDER: The OpenChain Education Work Group is working on playbooks for the OpenChain Project.

We hold our next meeting today at 08:30 UTC (14:00 IST, 16:30 CST, 17:30 KST+JST).

We are working on the Small Company Playbook (and generating reusable material for medium and large companies):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x0fVeJbzWlh5vRkUfkWbkKgaiPaNtcVCIqgDESLzBbY/edit#

Register to help out:
https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_XsNrdACxQ7i6FCHwdKCOHA

In this meeting we will pick activities on building and publishing the playbooks for small and large companies. <we already published medium scale company playbook last year.
Both of these scenarios in my opinion would be need of the hour:
1. As we are living in the startup era, we are seeing a new small size company start and grow very frequently, and this playbook might help them.
2. We have enough of Large companies recently achieving over all organisation level ISO/IEC 5230:2020 compliance, and few companies have similar at par OSS compliance setup, this playbook may help us borrow and collate those information and document it, and that may help all of us.

Looking forward to your participation, support and feedback.

Re: Call to Action: MarkDown in the Reference Library

Carlo, great lead.

I have a todo item to prepare the first draft of our “here is what we are doing, where we want to do it, and how to do it.” I will fold this thread into that.

ETA tomorrow.

👍

On Aug 25, 2022, at 1:03, Carlo Piana <carlo@...> wrote:

Pandoc is indeed what you need. We use it extensively in our toolchain. For most of documents it makes the cut embarrassingly easily and can be scripted. Requires some tweaking at times (like for using ATX style headers).

And also the other way round: making good-looking documents out of simple markdown. You might want to look into Howdyadoc for more clues as to what's possible (includes some custom-made modules written in LUA and python). We use it to make contracts with cross-referenced numbering and stuff, just saying.

Sorry I should have replied earlier. ;-)

From: main@... <main@...> on behalf of Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...>
Date: Wednesday, 24 August 2022 at 08:17
To: OpenChain Main <main@...>, OpenChain Education <education@...>

[External]

Register for this free webinar:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_rkeXAYB8TqCcKSOOUuNuDA__;!!A3Ni8CS0y2Y!8j-uQ9ClMgFcPLZmYzhuBYrPLKXklP21s1DA4_Sjiysn0-YWSp_uD0iAdrPXLxo0tObTopqT0EahkRM9Fb1dPzMQYIQWt4g$

One of the outcomes of our recent education mini-summit was a decision to work on converting our existing Word Docs in the OpenChain GitHub reference library to markdown. The market has moved on from our early days of legal teams and management teams sharing documents, and from markdown we can easily convert to any other format.

Lend a hand and help us reach even more people with our huge corpus of reference material (we have about 1,000 documents, so we need help to decide what is first, and how to share workloads around the globe based on people’s own priorities).

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://meetings.hubspot.com/scoughlan__;!!A3Ni8CS0y2Y!8j-uQ9ClMgFcPLZmYzhuBYrPLKXklP21s1DA4_Sjiysn0-YWSp_uD0iAdrPXLxo0tObTopqT0EahkRM9Fb1dPzMQm3jghkY$

Re: Call to Action: MarkDown in the Reference Library

Hi Steve!

So, the baseline doc for the spec is in the GitHub spec repo under translation templates:

Why not adjacent to the spec version PDFs under the official versions sub-folder of that repo?

We did not want to take any risk of people downloading an editable document thinking they were downloading the spec, and the chance of that being accidentally or purposefully altered down the line.

This is the first time we mentioned the concept of potentially messing with the editable spec document format, so we don’t currently have guidance at the repo root.

From: main@... <main@...> on behalf of Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...>
Date: Wednesday, 24 August 2022 at 08:17
To: OpenChain Main <main@...>, OpenChain Education <education@...>

[...]

Re: Call to Action: MarkDown in the Reference Library @ 08:30 UTC 🙂

It takes place in one hour, at 08:30 UTC 🙂

On Aug 24, 2022, at 16:17, Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...> wrote:

[...]

Call to Action: Playbooks – Meeting #2 – 2022-08-17

We recently held our second meeting to review the OpenChain Playbooks. Check out the recording here:
https://www.openchainproject.org/featured/2022/08/22/call-to-action-playbooks-2

For context: we are collaboratively editing version 2 of these documents at this link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1li9heH3x16MmC_UxxpFhWSw1XCwsAdbF?usp=sharing

Our focus during this call was the small company playbook here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x0fVeJbzWlh5vRkUfkWbkKgaiPaNtcVCIqgDESLzBbY/edit?usp=sharing

The work we did on this playbook substantially refined the approach in the early parts of the document and will be merged into the other documents (for medium and large companies) ahead of our next meeting in around a week.

Your contributions and comments are most welcome. This is a great opportunity to brief and encourage strategic management understanding and support of effective, efficient compliance.

Catch up: OpenChain Japan All Member Meeting 24 – Virtual Meeting 11

The OpenChain Japan Work Group held the 24th All Member meeting recently and we have the full recording here for you to catch up. Some in English, some in Japanese. All community. :)
https://www.openchainproject.org/news/2022/08/22/openchain-japan-all-member-meeting-24-virtual-meeting-11

Re: Four Hyundai Motor Group Companies Announce Adoption of the ISO International Standard for Open Source Compliance

You can learn more about what our friends in Hyundai group have accomplished here:
https://www.openchainproject.org/featured/2022/08/16/hyundai-motor-group-conformance

On Aug 17, 2022, at 15:35, Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...> wrote:

From their press release:

<hyundai-group.jpeg>
Four Hyundai Motor Group companies, joint certification of the ISO international standard for open source compliance
– Acquired ISO certifications of four companies simultaneously through collaboration of Hyundai Motor Company, Kia, Hyundai Mobis, and Hyundai Autoever … The industry’s first the international standard for open source compliance(ISO/IEC 5230:2020) joint certification … Securing public confidence in software and increasing utilization through systematic management of the entire supply chain
– Provides a comprehensive portal and user guide to support developers in the mobility field and expand the ecosystem
– “Beyond the group, we will lead the expansion and development of the open source ecosystem throughout the automobile industry”

Four Hyundai Motor Group Companies Announce Adoption of the ISO International Standard for Open Source Compliance

From their press release:

Four Hyundai Motor Group companies, joint certification of the ISO international standard for open source compliance
– Acquired ISO certifications of four companies simultaneously through collaboration of Hyundai Motor Company, Kia, Hyundai Mobis, and Hyundai Autoever … The industry’s first the international standard for open source compliance(ISO/IEC 5230:2020) joint certification … Securing public confidence in software and increasing utilization through systematic management of the entire supply chain
– Provides a comprehensive portal and user guide to support developers in the mobility field and expand the ecosystem
– “Beyond the group, we will lead the expansion and development of the open source ecosystem throughout the automobile industry”

Call today at 08:30 UTC - OpenChain Call to Action: Playbooks (14:00 IST, 16:30 CST, 17:30 JST)

A reminder that we have our regular call to action on PlayBook editing today at 08:30 UTC (14:00 IST, 16:30 CST, 17:30 JST).

Register to help out here:
https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_XsNrdACxQ7i6FCHwdKCOHA

In late 2021 we released a playbook showing how adoption of OpenChain ISO/IEC 5230 can work for medium-sized companies:
https://www.openchainproject.org/featured/2021/12/16/playbook-medium-company

We had some great feedback around this playbook and we want to circle back to expand on options for the community. Long story short: it is time to work on small company and large company playbooks.

We would super value your help in making sure these playbooks are as useful as possible.

Check out what we have done so far:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1li9heH3x16MmC_UxxpFhWSw1XCwsAdbF

Re: [india-wg] [uk-wg] [openchain] [education] REMINDER: Tomorrow we go big on making new playbooks - be part of this

Balakrishna Mukundaraj

Awesome, Thank you Steve.

Thanks,
Balakrishna

On Mon, 15 Aug 2022 at 13:38, Steve Kilbane <stephen.kilbane@...> wrote:

I figured “what the heck?” and had a swing at the small-company Google doc too, so that there’s something to discuss later this week.

steve

From: uk-wg@... <uk-wg@...> on behalf of Steve Kilbane <Stephen.Kilbane@...>
Date: Tuesday, 9 August 2022 at 08:42
To: main@... <main@...>, education@... <education@...>
Cc: OpenChain Taiwan <taiwan-wg@...>, OpenChain Germany <germany-wg@...>, OpenChain Partners <partners@...>, OpenChain UK <uk-wg@...>, OpenChain Korea <korea-wg@...>, OpenChain Japan <japan-wg@...>, OpenChain India <india-wg@...>
Subject: Re: [uk-wg] [openchain] [education] REMINDER: Tomorrow we go big on making new playbooks - be part of this

[External]

Not having much experience in small companies, I took a swing at adding some content to the large-company Google doc.

steve

From: uk-wg@... <uk-wg@...> on behalf of Steve Kilbane <Stephen.Kilbane@...>
Date: Tuesday, 9 August 2022 at 08:42
To: main@... <main@...>, education@... <education@...>
Cc: OpenChain Taiwan <taiwan-wg@...>, OpenChain Germany <germany-wg@...>, OpenChain Partners <partners@...>, OpenChain UK <uk-wg@...>, OpenChain Korea <korea-wg@...>, OpenChain Japan <japan-wg@...>, OpenChain India <india-wg@...>

[...]

Japanese Obon - Shane is back 17th August

Dear all

It is the Japanese Obon period. I will be back in the (virtual) office on the 17th of August. I may check my emails once or twice, but I am planning to disconnect until then.

If there is anything super urgent please call me at +818040358083 and I will get back to you.

Re: [education] REMINDER: Tomorrow we go big on making new playbooks - be part of this

Steve Kilbane

[...]

Partner Webinar #3 – EACG (TrustSource)

Dear All

Welcome to our third partner webinar (full virtual this time, no scheduled call this week). As usual, this is a pre-recorded webinar with Q&A encouraged via this email thread.

Today we are hearing EACG’s story. Jan has long been a contributor to the OpenChain Project and is a key collaborator in areas like our reference tooling work group. On the professional side, you may also know his work through TrustSource (https://www.trustsource.io/).

We are delighted to highlight their services as part of our ongoing mission to ensure the global community knows about the support services available in each geography to help with ISO/IEC 5230 conformance and building great trust in the supply chain.

Check out the full webinar here:
https://www.openchainproject.org/news/2022/08/08/partner-webinar-eacg

Check out the partner webinar series here:
https://www.openchainproject.org/partner-webinars

Re: [education] REMINDER: Tomorrow we go big on making new playbooks - be part of this

Balakrishna Mukundaraj

Sounds good! Looking forward to collaborate Ana :)

Thanks,
Balakrishna

On Mon, 8 Aug 2022 at 10:43, Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...> wrote:
Thanks Balakrishna!

Ana from TODO indicated interest in doing a cross-project collaboration on this, so I am going to loop her into our Google Docs scratch-pad here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1li9heH3x16MmC_UxxpFhWSw1XCwsAdbF

Ana, we have a (generation 1) medium company playbook and some duplicates we are going to work into small and medium company playbooks. OSPOs are central to this throughout, and we would love to work towards a co-branded release before Open Compliance Summit in early December.

Editing on Google Docs based on decision by Education Work Team. As soon as things are looking good, we will convert to markdown and place on GitHub.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Balakrishna

61 - 80 of 4828