Date

Re: Proposal - OpenChain Quality of Conformance Assessment Levels (including a sub-proposal for tooling quality assessment levels)

Jari Koivisto

Hi All,

I think that this new slide 10 is better now. It might add unnecessary complexity, but maybe each of the 4 arrows could have a small loop arrow on top depicting the nature of iterative work involved at each state, e.g. a company may try several types of automation to create the artefacts.

   Jari

---
Jari Koivisto
E-mail: jari.p.koivisto@...
Mobile: +41 78 7479791
Skype: jari.p.koivisto
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jarikoivisto

On Wed, 25 Aug 2021 at 07:16, Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...> wrote:
Thanks Steve. Slide 10 has been refined to place emphasis on the actions being non-normative evolution on the part of a single example company:

Regarding SPDX or other SBOM badges, I am sure we will see movement in this direction in the coming weeks.

Shane

On Aug 24, 2021, at 16:35, Steve Kilbane <stephen.kilbane@...> wrote:

Hi Shane,

As a comment on the revised slides, slide 10 doesn't work for me, since it shows a cycle, but you wouldn't go from your intended end-point (audit done) back to "just" OpenChain compliance without SBOM or automation.

As noted on the call, these aren't linear journeys, and an organisation could collect these plot tokens by wandering the map in whichever order they choose. They may add external audit first, then automation, then use that automation to produce their SBOMs.

I did like the idea of identifying them as best practices rather than "levels", because they can be adopted in any order. I did wonder whether it made sense to have a receiver award the SBOM badge to the supplier, but that might be problematic with respect to confidential business arrangements.

It would be nice if there were an SBOM badge that could be awarded to open source projects that are producing suitable output - uses SPDX Ids, includes an SBOM - but that's probably more down to the SPDX project than the OpenChain project.

steve

[...]

Re: [india-wg] [openchain] Proposal - OpenChain Quality of Conformance Assessment Levels (including a sub-proposal for tooling quality assessment levels)

Thanks Matija. Glad it reads well to you!

On Aug 24, 2021, at 20:02, Matija Šuklje <matija@suklje.name> wrote:

Die 24. 08. 21 et hora 09:00 Shane Coughlan scripsit:
In broad strokes:
(1) we decided to make it *very* clear this was not about variants of
OpenChain ISO 5230 but rather about where companies can go next after
adoption
(2) we decided to pull back from “quality grading” by the project
and instead providing case studies and examples to help inspire companies
This sounds like a sane approach to me.

Check out the latest (and dramatically overhauled) edit here:
https://1drv.ms/p/s!AsXJVqby5kpnkShuUGG9M2Ki9MEc
After opening the slide deck today, I was wondering what the complaints were
against :)

The slides look OK to me at the time of this writing.

cheers,
Matija

Re: Proposal - OpenChain Quality of Conformance Assessment Levels (including a sub-proposal for tooling quality assessment levels)

Matija Šuklje

--
gsm: tel:+386.41.849.552
www: https://matija.suklje.name

Re: Proposal - OpenChain Quality of Conformance Assessment Levels (including a sub-proposal for tooling quality assessment levels)

Steve Kilbane