Date   

Invitation: OpenChain Monthly Community Call - 09:00 PST (16:00 UTC) ... @ Monthly from 17:00 to 18:00 on the first Tuesday (CET) (main@lists.openchainproject.org)

 

OpenChain Monthly Community Call - 09:00 PST (16:00 UTC) on 1st Tuesday
This is the OpenChain Monthly Community Call - 09:00 PST (16:00 UTC) on 1st Tuesday. It is open to every individual and company regardless of their membership of Linux Foundation or the OpenChain Proj
 
This is the OpenChain Monthly Community Call - 09:00 PST (16:00 UTC) on 1st Tuesday. It is open to every individual and company regardless of their membership of Linux Foundation or the OpenChain Project. It provides a forum to bring together the various things the OpenChain community is doing around the world, from building our family of standard (licensing compliance and now security compliance), assisting with tooling, SBOMs and OSPOs, and facilitating industry specific discussions in areas like telco and automotive.

Agenda
  1. Introductions 
  2. Specification (process standards) news 
  3. SBOM news
  4. OSPO news
  5. Automation news 
  6. Community feedback and comments - issues for standards and core supporting material
  7. Community feedback and comments - issues for reference and supporting material
  8. Community feedback and comments - issues to support other projects
  9. Any other business
  10. Close of meeting

This meeting is held in the OpenChain Project Zoom room:
https://zoom.us/j/4377592799

Check your timezone:
PDT United States Pacific UTC-07:00
UTC Coordinated Universal Time UTC
CET Central European Time UTC+01:00
IST India Standard Time UTC+05:30
CST China Standard Time UTC+08:00
KST Korea Standard Time UTC+09:00
JST Japan Standard Time UTC+09:00

Compare timezones:
https://www.worldtimebuddy.com

Join via one tap mobile:
+86 10 8783 3177,,4377592799# Mainland China
+33 1 8699 5831,,4377592799# France
+49 69 7104 9922,,4377592799# Germany
+81 524 564 439,,4377592799# Japan
+82 2 3143 9612,,4377592799# Korea
+91 80 71 279 440,,4377592799# India
+886 (2) 7741 7473,,4377592799# Taiwan
+44 330 088 5830,,4377592799# UK
+13017158592,,4377592799# USA

Find your local country number:
https://zoom.us/u/awFnORNiA
Meeting ID: 437 759 2799

When

Monthly from 17:00 to 18:00 on the first Tuesday (Central European Time - Paris)
RSVP for main@... for all events in this series

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this email because you are an attendee on the event. To stop receiving future updates for this event, decline this event.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to send a response to the organizer, be added to the guest list, invite others regardless of their own invitation status, or modify your RSVP. Learn more


Re: Timing of Meeting Notices

 

Hi Sebastian!

Apologies for the delay. I have updated our website with our calendar in iCal format and also with a public Google Calendar URL to help cover all the bases.

Calendar in iCal:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/c_08seb6095ofjtfr5fjb5tabgl4%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics

Public Google calendar URL:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=c_08seb6095ofjtfr5fjb5tabgl4%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=UTC

Regards

Shane

On Oct 18, 2022, at 18:13, Sebastian Crane <seabass-labrax@...> wrote:

Dear Shane,

Since I'm not a user of Google calendar, I'm not able to use that
option on the site. Would you mind sending me a direct URL to the iCal
file for the calendar, please? Thank you!

Best wishes,

Sebastian

On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 07:59:29PM +0200, Shane Coughlan wrote:
Hi Chris

Absolutely. I will move to a schedule including a three day prior ping
as well.

However, we have a general recommendation to add the OpenChain Global
Calendar to your client of choice to allow you to track all events well
in advance. The calendar is on the website here:

[1]Home - OpenChain
[2]openchainproject.org
[3]cropped-openchain-favicon-180x180.png
Clicking the + sign on the bottom right of the calendar should add it
to your own calendar account.

Regards

Shane
Shane Coughlan
OpenChain General Manager
+818040358083
Book a meeting:
https://meetings.hubspot.com/scoughlan

On Oct 17, 2022, at 19:56, Wood, Chris <chris.wood@...> wrote:



Hello Shane

From the date time stamp on your invitation yesterday (17^th) it
arrived in my inbox at noon today (18^th US CT), which is the case for
most of the “for the meeting for tomorrow” notices. Is there some way
that you can send them a few days prior to the meeting so that we can
at least get it on the schedule and plan our night around it?


Thank you

Chris



References

Visible links:
1. https://www.openchainproject.org/
2. https://www.openchainproject.org/
3. https://www.openchainproject.org/
4. https://lists.openchainproject.org/g/main/message/4880
5. mailto:main@...?subject=Re: Re: [openchain] Timing of Meeting Notices
6. mailto:scoughlan@...?subject=Private: Re: Re: [openchain] Timing of Meeting Notices
7. https://lists.openchainproject.org/mt/94390863/5997145
8. https://lists.openchainproject.org/g/main/post
9. https://lists.openchainproject.org/g/main/editsub/5997145
10. mailto:main+owner@...
11. https://lists.openchainproject.org/g/main/leave/10330563/5997145/102626985/xyzzy

Hidden links:
13. https://www.openchainproject.org/






Invitation: OpenChain Webinar #45 - The Software Defined Vehicle Project @ Tue Nov 29, 2022 09:00 - 10:00 (CET) (main@lists.openchainproject.org)

 

OpenChain Webinar #45 - The Software Defined Vehicle Project
The Eclipse Foundation maintains a Software Defined Vehicle Project at: https://sdv.eclipse.org/ In our 45th OpenChain Webinar, Michael Plagge from Eclipse will introduce the project and explain more
 
The Eclipse Foundation maintains a Software Defined Vehicle Project at:
https://sdv.eclipse.org/

In our 45th OpenChain Webinar, Michael Plagge from Eclipse will introduce the project and explain more about what it means to open source in automotive and the broader global community.

~==========================~
You have been invited to a Zoom meeting:

https://zoom.us/j/4377592799

Meeting ID: 4377592799

One tap mobile:
+13092053325,,4377592799# US
+13602095623,,4377592799# US
+13863475053,,4377592799# US
+15074734847,,4377592799# US
+15642172000,,4377592799# US
+16469313860,,4377592799# US
+16694449171,,4377592799# US
+16892781000,,4377592799# US
+17193594580,,4377592799# US
+18773690926,,4377592799# US
+18558801246,,4377592799# US
+14388097799,,4377592799# Canada
+15873281099,,4377592799# Canada
+16473744685,,4377592799# Canada
+16475580588,,4377592799# Canada
+17789072071,,4377592799# Canada
+17806660144,,4377592799# Canada
+12042727920,,4377592799# Canada
+18557038985,,4377592799# Canada
+13126266799,,4377592799# US (Chicago)
+13462487799,,4377592799# US (Houston)
+16465588656,,4377592799# US (New York)
+16699006833,,4377592799# US (San Jose)
+12532158782,,4377592799# US (Tacoma)
+13017158592,,4377592799# US (Washington DC)

Dial by your location:
+1 3092053325 US
+1 3602095623 US
+1 3863475053 US
+1 5074734847 US
+1 5642172000 US
+1 6469313860 US
+1 6694449171 US
+1 6892781000 US
+1 7193594580 US
+1 8773690926 US
+1 8558801246 US
+1 4388097799 Canada
+1 5873281099 Canada
+1 6473744685 Canada
+1 6475580588 Canada
+1 7789072071 Canada
+1 7806660144 Canada
+1 2042727920 Canada
+1 8557038985 Canada
+1 3126266799 US (Chicago)
+1 3462487799 US (Houston)
+1 6465588656 US (New York)
+1 6699006833 US (San Jose)
+1 2532158782 US (Tacoma)
+1 3017158592 US (Washington DC)
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/zoomconference
~==========================~

When

Tuesday Nov 29, 2022 ⋅ 09:00 – 10:00 (Central European Time - Paris)

Location

https://zoom.us/j/4377592799
View map
Reply for main@...

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this email because you are an attendee on the event. To stop receiving future updates for this event, decline this event.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to send a response to the organizer, be added to the guest list, invite others regardless of their own invitation status, or modify your RSVP. Learn more


Re: Introducing Work Group Chair Elections: Specification Work Group

 

As promised, a detailed outline of how we will run the specification work group co-chair election for 2022. This is our first time to run this election, so please forgive any hiccups on the way, but we expect smooth sailing.

===

The OpenChain Governing Board is formally considering who should be appointed by the board for the position(s) of OpenChain Specification Chairperson, and invites the broader OpenChain community to provide their perspective.

In this process, the broader OpenChain community will have nominees proposed and voted on to provide a recommendation. That recommendation will be passed to the OpenChain Governing Board for review, approval and ratification at their next meeting.

The specific process on behalf of the community is to undertake a voting process after a period of nomination. The community will vote in the following manner:

Votes for chairpeople will be sent by email to operations@... (received by the OpenChain General Manager and Project Manager).

Each member of our specification@ can cast *one* vote. All members of main@ are entitled to join specification@. The requirement to join the specification list is to maintain that list as the “single source of truth” for our specification-editing and other core specification work.

The votes will be tallied by the General Manager and prepared for the OpenChain Governing Board to review.

The tally will be reported to the OpenChain governing board. Their feedback and final decision will be provided to the community-at-large after their next formal governing board meeting.

For the 2022 OpenChain Specification Work Group elections the following notes are provided:
(1) we are operationally splitting the specification work group into two work groups: licensing and security, reflecting our two specifications in-market.
(2) for *this* specific election, we will split the election into two threads: one license biased (two nominees) and one security biased (two nominees). The result will be two chairs to fill the co-chair positions after approval by the OpenChain Governing Board.
(3) this means everyone on specification@ should vote for:
(i) their preferred choice for license work group chair;
(I) their preferred choice for security work group chair.
(4) these votes may be cast between the 16th and 22d of November 2022.
(5) the OpenChain Governing Board will receive the tally of votes expressing community feedback, and will review it formally at their next meeting on the 8th of December 2022.
(6) it is expected that at this juncture the community will receive a response from the OpenChain Governing Board regarding their decision(s) around specification chairperson(s) circa 9th December 2022, and our new specification chairs will begin their term of office prior to 2023.

This process may be adjusted at any time by the governing board, and feedback to improve the process is always welcome, with the optic of ensuring that we continually refine the process as time progresses.

Regards

Shane

Shane Coughlan
OpenChain General Manager
+818040358083
Book a meeting:
https://meetings.hubspot.com/scoughlan

On Nov 4, 2022, at 17:26, Shane Coughlan via lists.openchainproject.org <scoughlan=linuxfoundation.org@...> wrote:

Thanks Steve. Great question.

Let’s clarify the election process.

For the nomination period, we happen to have two people well versed in license compliance (Steve and Helio) and two people with a security background (Jacob and Chris). This suggest that our co-chair election - for *this* specific election, should break into two threads: one license biased (two nominees) and one security biased (two nominees). The result will be two chairs to fill the co-chair positions after approval by the OpenChain Governing Board.

Any objections?

I will send an email early next week clarifying the election period itself in the post November 15th period: how the community votes, what precisely the vote means, and how it relates to the Governing Board. Nutshell: there will be an open vote and the resulting names will go before the Governing Board. More to follow.

Regards

Shane

On Nov 2, 2022, at 9:52, Steve Kilbane <stephen.kilbane@...> wrote:
Hi Shane,
Can you clarify the election process, please? Are there two separate votes, for each of the chair positions, or one single vote, and the two candidates who receive the highest number of votes are the two new chairs?
I’m asking because, if you’re aiming for one chair well-versed in license compliance and another well-versed in security, you could end up electing two people who fall on the same side of that divide.
To give people some background, I’m the OSPO director at Analog Devices, and I’m very much on the license-compliance side, not so much on the security side.
steve
From: main@... <main@...> on behalf of Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...>
Date: Wednesday, 2 November 2022 at 08:30
To: OpenChain Specification <specification@...>
Cc: OpenChain Main <main@...>
Subject: Re: [openchain] Introducing Work Group Chair Elections: Specification Work Group
[External]

Hello everyone!

Here are our current nominees in the specification co-chair election:
Steve Kilbane, Analog Devices
Jacob Wilson, Gemini
Helio Chissini de Castro, CARIAD
Chris Wood, Lockheed Martin

There are two spaces, so we already have an interesting and excellent election! Well done all.

Are you interested in entering this election? You can nominate yourself before November 15th.

Please note: everyone is standing as an individual. I am just citing their companies as a way to contextualize who I am referring to, due to our community containing thousands of people :)

Regards

Shane

On Oct 31, 2022, at 20:56, Jacob Wilson <jacobdjwilson@...> wrote:
== How do I nominate myself? ==

Just say so in this thread.

[…]

== What happens next ==

(1) We have two spaces in total available (co-chairs);
(2) If two or fewer people are nominated before November 15th, they will become co-chairs of the specification activity around OpenChain with a one year term;
(3) If more than two people are nominated before November 15th, an election will be triggered;
(4) The election will take place via email between 15th and 22nd November and will be “first past the post;”
(5) Current chairs may be re-elected in the next cycle in the same manner as this time.

We may, of course, adjust this process for future years depending on lessons learned from this first election cycle.









NAVER Announces An OpenChain ISO/IEC 5230 Conformant Program

 

We had a very exciting end of week on Friday with NAVER announcing the adoption of ISO/IEC 5230, the international standard for open source license compliance. It’s another example of the tremendous traction we are seeing in Korea, Asia and - more broadly - worldwide.

Formally speaking…
NAVER, a global ICT company, today announces the adoption of ISO/IEC 5230, the International Standard for open source license compliance. As a global leader in search, messaging, cloud, contents, metaverse and digital twin, NAVER has significant engagement with open source technology. The adoption of ISO/IEC 5230 underlines their commitment to excellence in open source process management.”


Shane Coughlan
OpenChain General Manager
+818040358083
Book a meeting:
https://meetings.hubspot.com/scoughlan


Re: Introducing Work Group Chair Elections: Specification Work Group

 

Thanks Steve. Great question.

Let’s clarify the election process.

For the nomination period, we happen to have two people well versed in license compliance (Steve and Helio) and two people with a security background (Jacob and Chris). This suggest that our co-chair election - for *this* specific election, should break into two threads: one license biased (two nominees) and one security biased (two nominees). The result will be two chairs to fill the co-chair positions after approval by the OpenChain Governing Board.

Any objections?

I will send an email early next week clarifying the election period itself in the post November 15th period: how the community votes, what precisely the vote means, and how it relates to the Governing Board. Nutshell: there will be an open vote and the resulting names will go before the Governing Board. More to follow.

Regards

Shane

On Nov 2, 2022, at 9:52, Steve Kilbane <stephen.kilbane@...> wrote:
Hi Shane,
Can you clarify the election process, please? Are there two separate votes, for each of the chair positions, or one single vote, and the two candidates who receive the highest number of votes are the two new chairs?
I’m asking because, if you’re aiming for one chair well-versed in license compliance and another well-versed in security, you could end up electing two people who fall on the same side of that divide.
To give people some background, I’m the OSPO director at Analog Devices, and I’m very much on the license-compliance side, not so much on the security side.
steve
From: main@... <main@...> on behalf of Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...>
Date: Wednesday, 2 November 2022 at 08:30
To: OpenChain Specification <specification@...>
Cc: OpenChain Main <main@...>
Subject: Re: [openchain] Introducing Work Group Chair Elections: Specification Work Group
[External]

Hello everyone!

Here are our current nominees in the specification co-chair election:
Steve Kilbane, Analog Devices
Jacob Wilson, Gemini
Helio Chissini de Castro, CARIAD
Chris Wood, Lockheed Martin

There are two spaces, so we already have an interesting and excellent election! Well done all.

Are you interested in entering this election? You can nominate yourself before November 15th.

Please note: everyone is standing as an individual. I am just citing their companies as a way to contextualize who I am referring to, due to our community containing thousands of people :)

Regards

Shane

On Oct 31, 2022, at 20:56, Jacob Wilson <jacobdjwilson@...> wrote:

== How do I nominate myself? ==

Just say so in this thread.

[…]

== What happens next ==

(1) We have two spaces in total available (co-chairs);
(2) If two or fewer people are nominated before November 15th, they will become co-chairs of the specification activity around OpenChain with a one year term;
(3) If more than two people are nominated before November 15th, an election will be triggered;
(4) The election will take place via email between 15th and 22nd November and will be “first past the post;”
(5) Current chairs may be re-elected in the next cycle in the same manner as this time.

We may, of course, adjust this process for future years depending on lessons learned from this first election cycle.





OpenChain Export Control Work Group - First Meeting - 22nd of November at 15:00 UTC (16:00 CET)

 

The OpenChain Export Control Work Group will hold its first meeting on the 22nd of November at 15:00 UTC (16:00 CET).

This meeting will have the following agenda:

(1) Introductions
(2) Overview of why export control matters from the perspective of open source and compliance
(3) Open discussion about how our community can contribute to the field

All welcome. Join here:
https://zoom.us/j/93456802267

Regards

Shane


Invitation: OpenChain Export Control Work Group - First Meeting @ Tue Nov 22, 2022 16:00 - 17:00 (CET) (main@lists.openchainproject.org)

 

OpenChain Export Control Work Group - First Meeting
The OpenChain Export Control Work Group will hold its first meeting on the 22nd of November at 15:00 UTC (16:00 CET).This meeting will have the following agenda:(1) Introductions(2) Overview of why ex
 
The OpenChain Export Control Work Group will hold its first meeting on the 22nd of November at 15:00 UTC (16:00 CET).

This meeting will have the following agenda:

(1) Introductions
(2) Overview of why export control matters from the perspective of open source and compliance
(3) Open discussion about how our community can contribute to the field


~==========================~
You have been invited to a Zoom meeting:

https://zoom.us/j/93456802267

Meeting ID: 93456802267

Check your timezone:
PDT United States Pacific UTC-07:00
UTC Coordinated Universal Time UTC
CET Central European Time UTC+01:00
IST India Standard Time UTC+05:30
CST China Standard Time UTC+08:00
KST Korea Standard Time UTC+09:00
JST Japan Standard Time UTC+09:00

Compare timezones:
https://www.worldtimebuddy.com

Join via one tap mobile:
+86 10 8783 3177,,93456802267# Mainland China
+33 1 8699 5831,,93456802267# France
+49 69 7104 9922,,93456802267# Germany
+81 524 564 439,,93456802267# Japan
+82 2 3143 9612,,93456802267# Korea
+91 80 71 279 440,,93456802267# India
+886 (2) 7741 7473,,93456802267# Taiwan
+44 330 088 5830,,93456802267# UK
+13017158592,,93456802267# USA
~==========================~

When

Tuesday Nov 22, 2022 ⋅ 16:00 – 17:00 (Central European Time - Paris)

Location

https://zoom.us/j/93456802267
View map
Reply for main@...

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this email because you are an attendee on the event. To stop receiving future updates for this event, decline this event.

Forwarding this invitation could allow any recipient to send a response to the organizer, be added to the guest list, invite others regardless of their own invitation status, or modify your RSVP. Learn more


OpenChain Partner Webinar: PwC – November 29th 2022

 

The OpenChain Partner Webinars continue on the 29th of November with a presentation by PwC on their products and services around OpenChain ISO/IEC 5230, the International Standard for open source license compliance. You can attend this webinar without registration in our usual Zoom room:
https://zoom.us/j/4377592799

This series highlights offerings from various service providers throughout the global OpenChain eco-system. Each featured partner has an official relationship with the project, whereby they may use our trademark for marketing OpenChain-specific services, and in exchange they help with community outreach, education and other aspects of collaborative (and free) support.

Check out the whole series:
https://www.openchainproject.org/partner-webinars


Re: OpenChain Telco Work Group Monthly Meeting - Morning and Afternoon - Tomorrow - November 3rd

 

A reminder that our regular telco work group meeting takes place in about 40 minutes. Focus, as usual, is the telco SBOM:

On Nov 2, 2022, at 20:23, Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...> wrote:


A reminder that our telco work group call (morning edition) takes place tomorrow, November 3rd, at 08:00 UTC. Our afternoon call takes place at 15:00 UTC. Calendar invitations for both attached.

All welcome.
<zoom.ico>


The Telco Work Group has a GitHub repo here and this is where the key work is recorded:
https://github.com/OpenChain-Project/telco

Right now the primary formal focus is on building a telco specification related to SBOM.

<OpenChain Telco Work Group Monthly Meeting - Morning.ics>


<OpenChain Telco Work Group Monthly Meeting - Afternoon.ics>




Shane Coughlan
OpenChain General Manager
+818040358083
Book a meeting:
https://meetings.hubspot.com/scoughlan


OpenChain Telco Work Group Monthly Meeting - Morning and Afternoon - Tomorrow - November 3rd

 

A reminder that our telco work group call (morning edition) takes place tomorrow, November 3rd, at 08:00 UTC. Our afternoon call takes place at 15:00 UTC. Calendar invitations for both attached.

All welcome.


The Telco Work Group has a GitHub repo here and this is where the key work is recorded:
https://github.com/OpenChain-Project/telco

Right now the primary formal focus is on building a telco specification related to SBOM.







Shane Coughlan
OpenChain General Manager
+818040358083
Book a meeting:
https://meetings.hubspot.com/scoughlan


Re: OpenChain Monthly Call 2022-11-01 Full Recording

 

Our most *recent* monthly call.

Note to self: stop sending email at 20:00 after 12 hour days.

🤦‍♂️

On Nov 2, 2022, at 20:08, Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...> wrote:

The full recording of our most recently monthly call is here:
https://youtu.be/gFuFAEbZM6s

Slides attached.

tl;dr:

(1) Certification support for our license and security specifications continues to grow

(2) We are starting the editing cycle for the next generation of both specifications

(3) This does not impact adoption - ETA for both updates is 2024

(4) But you have a chance to help shape them and can easily participate on GitHub, via these lists, and every month on our calls

(5) Meanwhile, education work group is busy with a ton of material to review

(6) And other areas of our project (like automation) are also doing great work

(7) During our monthly calls from November onward we will be doing critical live editing

(8) Your voice is welcome

Regards

Shane

<OpenChain-Monthly-Meeting-2022-11-01.pdf>


OpenChain Monthly Call 2022-11-01 Full Recording

 

The full recording of our most recently monthly call is here:
https://youtu.be/gFuFAEbZM6s

Slides attached.

tl;dr:

(1) Certification support for our license and security specifications continues to grow

(2) We are starting the editing cycle for the next generation of both specifications

(3) This does not impact adoption - ETA for both updates is 2024

(4) But you have a chance to help shape them and can easily participate on GitHub, via these lists, and every month on our calls

(5) Meanwhile, education work group is busy with a ton of material to review

(6) And other areas of our project (like automation) are also doing great work

(7) During our monthly calls from November onward we will be doing critical live editing

(8) Your voice is welcome

Regards

Shane


Re: Introducing Work Group Chair Elections: Education Work Group

Sebastian Crane
 

Dear Nathan,

My congratulations and best wishes for the future with your new post!

Sebastian

On Tue, Nov 01, 2022 at 05:28:56AM +0000, Nathan Kumagai wrote:
Hi everyone –

Thank you all and thanks to Balakrishna. I look forward to meeting and working with many of you over the coming year.

The path to onboarding to OpenChain can be a challenge – especially if you need to create resources from scratch to support your organization or team. The supporting material created by the education team and the community has paved the way for many of our new members, and it’s so important now that we’re reaching new industries. It’s an exciting time to be part of this project!


Nathan Kumagai

nathank@... / https://www.linkedin.com/in/nathan-kumagai-00229a1b/


________________________________
From: Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...>
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2022 10:49 AM
To: OpenChain Main <main@...>
Cc: OpenChain Education <education@...>; Nathan Kumagai <nathank@...>
Subject: Re: Introducing Work Group Chair Elections: Education Work Group

This is a note to confirm that Nathan has formally been elected Chair of the Education Work Group as per the process outlined below. From November onward he will be leading our work around developing and delivering best in class reference material to support a trusted supply chain.

On Oct 14, 2022, at 21:00, Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...> wrote:

The OpenChain Project has always had a strong focus on sustainability. As the maintainer of two industry standards, and the facilitator of a large supply chain community, our strategic position has always been to look at multi-year horizons.

As part of this, we are aware of the need to ensure our project reflects how people and activities adjust their priorities over time. A key example is the question it how we will address continuity in our work groups as our initial chairpeople reach the natural end of their tenure.

The answer is straightforward (as with most things in this project). We will introduce elections to allow chairs to rotate in a manner that is predictable and accessible.

To begin this process, we will see a transition with our Education Work Group. Balakrisha, after a stellar period of leading the group, has expressed a desire to allow another to carry the leadership torch as the next phase of project reference and training material is developed. This coincides nearly with some work we have been doing to adjust our Outreach Work Group into the more formal Outreach committee outlined in our charter, and the question of how to direct related volunteer energy and activity.

Nathan, chair of Outreach, is stepping forward as a candidate for Education Work Group. If you wish to also step forward for this position and trigger an election, please feel free to do so before October 25th. If there are no other contenders, Nathan will formally become chair of the Education Work Group with a one year term. He may be re-elected in the next cycle in the same manner as this time.

Throughout this quarter and into 2023 we will gradually introduce more elections, and by 2H 2023 all the primary OpenChain work groups should have completed the introduction of chair elections.

Regards

Shane

Shane Coughlan
OpenChain General Manager
+818040358083
Book a meeting:
https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmeetings.hubspot.com%2Fscoughlan&;data=05%7C01%7C%7C998255f1c97f4d59666d08dabb685400%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638028354002724176%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=AViXGGkUBhcZbvP4t1YMMFy%2F1PJmkOlAiDsHwGHypFg%3D&amp;reserved=0






Re: Introducing Work Group Chair Elections: Education Work Group

 

Nathan, please accept my formal congratulations on being elected Chair of the Education Work Group. And, of course, a big thank you to Bakakrishna for his excellent work as previous chair. We have been very fortunately to oversee a period of exceptional knowledge-sharing. There is a lot left to do, but we are entering 2023 from a good space.

On Nov 1, 2022, at 6:28, Nathan Kumagai <nathank@...> wrote:
Hi everyone –
Thank you all and thanks to Balakrishna. I look forward to meeting and working with many of you over the coming year.
The path to onboarding to OpenChain can be a challenge – especially if you need to create resources from scratch to support your organization or team. The supporting material created by the education team and the community has paved the way for many of our new members, and it’s so important now that we’re reaching new industries. It’s an exciting time to be part of this project!

Nathan Kumagai
nathank@... / https://www.linkedin.com/in/nathan-kumagai-00229a1b/


From: Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...>
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2022 10:49 AM
To: OpenChain Main <main@...>
Cc: OpenChain Education <education@...>; Nathan Kumagai <nathank@...>
Subject: Re: Introducing Work Group Chair Elections: Education Work Group This is a note to confirm that Nathan has formally been elected Chair of the Education Work Group as per the process outlined below. From November onward he will be leading our work around developing and delivering best in class reference material to support a trusted supply chain.

On Oct 14, 2022, at 21:00, Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...> wrote:

The OpenChain Project has always had a strong focus on sustainability. As the maintainer of two industry standards, and the facilitator of a large supply chain community, our strategic position has always been to look at multi-year horizons.

As part of this, we are aware of the need to ensure our project reflects how people and activities adjust their priorities over time. A key example is the question it how we will address continuity in our work groups as our initial chairpeople reach the natural end of their tenure.

The answer is straightforward (as with most things in this project). We will introduce elections to allow chairs to rotate in a manner that is predictable and accessible.

To begin this process, we will see a transition with our Education Work Group. Balakrisha, after a stellar period of leading the group, has expressed a desire to allow another to carry the leadership torch as the next phase of project reference and training material is developed. This coincides nearly with some work we have been doing to adjust our Outreach Work Group into the more formal Outreach committee outlined in our charter, and the question of how to direct related volunteer energy and activity.

Nathan, chair of Outreach, is stepping forward as a candidate for Education Work Group. If you wish to also step forward for this position and trigger an election, please feel free to do so before October 25th. If there are no other contenders, Nathan will formally become chair of the Education Work Group with a one year term. He may be re-elected in the next cycle in the same manner as this time.

Throughout this quarter and into 2023 we will gradually introduce more elections, and by 2H 2023 all the primary OpenChain work groups should have completed the introduction of chair elections.

Regards

Shane

Shane Coughlan
OpenChain General Manager
+818040358083
Book a meeting:
https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmeetings.hubspot.com%2Fscoughlan&;data=05%7C01%7C%7C998255f1c97f4d59666d08dabb685400%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638028354002724176%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=AViXGGkUBhcZbvP4t1YMMFy%2F1PJmkOlAiDsHwGHypFg%3D&amp;reserved=0


Full two-day schedule of Open Compliance Summit 2022 - December 7th and 8th in Yokohama, Japan

 

Dear all

The full schedule of the Open Compliance Summit 2022 is available here:
https://events.linuxfoundation.org/open-compliance-summit/program/schedule/

== Description ==
The Open Compliance Summit is an event for Linux Foundation members and select invitees to discuss open source license, security and export control compliance. This is the world’s foremost venue to discuss, learn about and network with experienced peers in the domain of open source process management. Our goal is to ensure the global development community, supply chain and support chain works effectively and efficiently.
== End ==

Want to be part of this event? Registration here:
https://events.linuxfoundation.org/open-compliance-summit/register/

Regards

Shane


Re: Introducing Work Group Chair Elections: Specification Work Group

Steve Kilbane
 

Hi Shane,

 

Can you clarify the election process, please? Are there two separate votes, for each of the chair positions, or one single vote, and the two candidates who receive the highest number of votes are the two new chairs?

 

I’m asking because, if you’re aiming for one chair well-versed in license compliance and another well-versed in security, you could end up electing two people who fall on the same side of that divide.

 

To give people some background, I’m the OSPO director at Analog Devices, and I’m very much on the license-compliance side, not so much on the security side.

 

steve

 

From: main@... <main@...> on behalf of Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...>
Date: Wednesday, 2 November 2022 at 08:30
To: OpenChain Specification <specification@...>
Cc: OpenChain Main <main@...>
Subject: Re: [openchain] Introducing Work Group Chair Elections: Specification Work Group

[External]

Hello everyone!

Here are our current nominees in the specification co-chair election:
Steve Kilbane, Analog Devices
Jacob Wilson, Gemini
Helio Chissini de Castro, CARIAD
Chris Wood, Lockheed Martin

There are two spaces, so we already have an interesting and excellent election! Well done all.

Are you interested in entering this election? You can nominate yourself before November 15th.

Please note: everyone is standing as an individual. I am just citing their companies as a way to contextualize who I am referring to, due to our community containing thousands of people :)

Regards

Shane

> On Oct 31, 2022, at 20:56, Jacob Wilson <jacobdjwilson@...> wrote:
>
> == How do I nominate myself? ==
>
> Just say so in this thread.
>
> […]
>
> == What happens next ==
>
> (1) We have two spaces in total available (co-chairs);
> (2) If two or fewer people are nominated before November 15th, they will become co-chairs of the specification activity around OpenChain with a one year term;
> (3) If more than two people are nominated before November 15th, an election will be triggered;
> (4) The election will take place via email between 15th and 22nd November and will be “first past the post;”
> (5) Current chairs may be re-elected in the next cycle in the same manner as this time.
>
> We may, of course, adjust this process for future years depending on lessons learned from this first election cycle.






Re: Introducing Work Group Chair Elections: Specification Work Group

 

Hello everyone!

Here are our current nominees in the specification co-chair election:
Steve Kilbane, Analog Devices
Jacob Wilson, Gemini
Helio Chissini de Castro, CARIAD
Chris Wood, Lockheed Martin

There are two spaces, so we already have an interesting and excellent election! Well done all.

Are you interested in entering this election? You can nominate yourself before November 15th.

Please note: everyone is standing as an individual. I am just citing their companies as a way to contextualize who I am referring to, due to our community containing thousands of people :)

Regards

Shane

On Oct 31, 2022, at 20:56, Jacob Wilson <jacobdjwilson@...> wrote:

== How do I nominate myself? ==

Just say so in this thread.

[…]

== What happens next ==

(1) We have two spaces in total available (co-chairs);
(2) If two or fewer people are nominated before November 15th, they will become co-chairs of the specification activity around OpenChain with a one year term;
(3) If more than two people are nominated before November 15th, an election will be triggered;
(4) The election will take place via email between 15th and 22nd November and will be “first past the post;”
(5) Current chairs may be re-elected in the next cycle in the same manner as this time.

We may, of course, adjust this process for future years depending on lessons learned from this first election cycle.


Re: Introducing Work Group Chair Elections: Specification Work Group

 

Fantastic, thank you Chris!

Four people in the ring now, this is getting exciting. :)

On Nov 1, 2022, at 22:42, Christopher Wood <cvw01@...> wrote:

Hello Shane
I would be interested in stepping up for the security side.
Regards
Chris

On Nov 1, 2022, at 11:49 AM, Helio Chissini de Castro <heliocastro@...> wrote:

Hello Shane and all

I'm stepping up for one of the positions of specification working group chair.

I've been on the OpenChain board before through my previous company, and in my current company, Cariad, I'm in charge of setting the open source tooling processes and technologies to be applied in the compliance area, so I think coming back to OpenChain is a good fit right now.

Best regards




On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 7:15 PM Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...> wrote:
Mark Gisi, our founding chair of the OpenChain Specification Work Group (leading the creation of ISO/IEC 5230), will formally pass the leadership torch before end of year.

Because of this we are seeking two people to act as OpenChain Specification Chairs. The idea is to allow chairs to split the work and/or alternate between editing around License Compliance (ISO/IEC 5230) and Security (OpenChain Security Assurance Specification).

== How this will work ==

Being a chair around our specifications does not require specialized experience, but of course we do have some preferences:
(1) Be from a company using open source in products or services;
(2) Have domain knowledge in either license compliance or security assurance;
(3) Be detail-focused and unbiased;
(4) Have experience building consensus in community discussions.

== What the chairs do ==

(a) Participate in our monthly community calls;
(b) Help lead the segment reviewing open issues or accepting new issues around the specifications;
(c) Make judgement calls around what is included in the edit cycle and what is not (subject to Steering Committee approval for final decisions);
(d) Coordinate with the General Manager to finalize editing around the specifications;
(e) Participate in future Steering Committee meetings (4 per year from 2023) to vote on final versions of our specifications.

== How do I nominate myself? ==

Just say so in this thread.

== Is anyone else currently nominated? ==

Yes, Steve Kilbane from Analogue Devices has kindly stepped forward as a nominee for specification chair.

== What happens next ==

(1) We have two spaces in total available (co-chairs);
(2) If two or fewer people are nominated before November 15th, they will become co-chairs of the specification activity around OpenChain with a one year term;
(3) If more than two people are nominated before November 15th, an election will be triggered;
(4) The election will take place via email between 15th and 22nd November and will be “first past the post;”
(5) Current chairs may be re-elected in the next cycle in the same manner as this time.

We may, of course, adjust this process for future years depending on lessons learned from this first election cycle.

== Rationale ==

The OpenChain Project has always had a strong focus on sustainability. As the maintainer of two industry standards, and the facilitator of a large supply chain community, our strategic position has always been to look at multi-year horizons.

As part of this, we are aware of the need to ensure our project reflects how people and activities adjust their priorities over time. A key example is the question it how we will address continuity in our work groups as our initial chairpeople reach the natural end of their tenure.

The answer is straightforward (as with most things in this project). We are introducing elections to allow chairs to rotate in a manner that is predictable and accessible.

Throughout this quarter and into 2023 we will gradually introduce more elections, and by 2H 2023 all the primary OpenChain work groups should have completed the introduction of chair elections.

== End ==

Regards

Shane

Shane Coughlan
OpenChain General Manager
+818040358083
Book a meeting:
https://meetings.hubspot.com/scoughlan




Re: Introducing Work Group Chair Elections: Specification Work Group

 

Excellent, thank you Helio!

On Nov 1, 2022, at 17:49, Helio Chissini de Castro <heliocastro@...> wrote:

Hello Shane and all

I'm stepping up for one of the positions of specification working group chair.

I've been on the OpenChain board before through my previous company, and in my current company, Cariad, I'm in charge of setting the open source tooling processes and technologies to be applied in the compliance area, so I think coming back to OpenChain is a good fit right now.

Best regards




On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 7:15 PM Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...> wrote:
Mark Gisi, our founding chair of the OpenChain Specification Work Group (leading the creation of ISO/IEC 5230), will formally pass the leadership torch before end of year.

Because of this we are seeking two people to act as OpenChain Specification Chairs. The idea is to allow chairs to split the work and/or alternate between editing around License Compliance (ISO/IEC 5230) and Security (OpenChain Security Assurance Specification).

== How this will work ==

Being a chair around our specifications does not require specialized experience, but of course we do have some preferences:
(1) Be from a company using open source in products or services;
(2) Have domain knowledge in either license compliance or security assurance;
(3) Be detail-focused and unbiased;
(4) Have experience building consensus in community discussions.

== What the chairs do ==

(a) Participate in our monthly community calls;
(b) Help lead the segment reviewing open issues or accepting new issues around the specifications;
(c) Make judgement calls around what is included in the edit cycle and what is not (subject to Steering Committee approval for final decisions);
(d) Coordinate with the General Manager to finalize editing around the specifications;
(e) Participate in future Steering Committee meetings (4 per year from 2023) to vote on final versions of our specifications.

== How do I nominate myself? ==

Just say so in this thread.

== Is anyone else currently nominated? ==

Yes, Steve Kilbane from Analogue Devices has kindly stepped forward as a nominee for specification chair.

== What happens next ==

(1) We have two spaces in total available (co-chairs);
(2) If two or fewer people are nominated before November 15th, they will become co-chairs of the specification activity around OpenChain with a one year term;
(3) If more than two people are nominated before November 15th, an election will be triggered;
(4) The election will take place via email between 15th and 22nd November and will be “first past the post;”
(5) Current chairs may be re-elected in the next cycle in the same manner as this time.

We may, of course, adjust this process for future years depending on lessons learned from this first election cycle.

== Rationale ==

The OpenChain Project has always had a strong focus on sustainability. As the maintainer of two industry standards, and the facilitator of a large supply chain community, our strategic position has always been to look at multi-year horizons.

As part of this, we are aware of the need to ensure our project reflects how people and activities adjust their priorities over time. A key example is the question it how we will address continuity in our work groups as our initial chairpeople reach the natural end of their tenure.

The answer is straightforward (as with most things in this project). We are introducing elections to allow chairs to rotate in a manner that is predictable and accessible.

Throughout this quarter and into 2023 we will gradually introduce more elections, and by 2H 2023 all the primary OpenChain work groups should have completed the introduction of chair elections.

== End ==

Regards

Shane

Shane Coughlan
OpenChain General Manager
+818040358083
Book a meeting:
https://meetings.hubspot.com/scoughlan




81 - 100 of 5035