Date

OpenChain China Work Group Meeting #6 - formal announcement of Huawei Platinum Membership / Board Seat @ OpenChain

OpenChain Global Work Team Call 2021-08-10 - full recording

This was the last major edit session of our now-published security reference guide. Recording here:
https://www.openchainproject.org/news/2021/08/11/global-work-team-2021-08-10

OpenChain Interview #15: Community and Execution in building an ISO standard

The OpenChain Interview Series continues with a deep-dive into the strategic background of creation and release of IEC/ISO 5230, the International Standard for open source license compliance. We are very lucky to welcome Max Sills, ex-Google and currently Square, to share part of his multi-year journey in building one of the largest governance communities in the world.
https://www.openchainproject.org/openchain-interview-15

Check out all our previous interviews here:
https://www.openchainproject.org/interviews

Huawei Joins The Governing Board Of The OpenChain Project / 华为加入OpenChain项目董事会

Huawei, a global leader in technology and open source, has joined the board of the OpenChain Project. Alongside 20 other global companies such as Qualcomm, Google, Siemens and Toyota, Huawei will work to align the supply chain behind OpenChain ISO 5230, the International Standard for quality open source compliance.

“Huawei is delighted to join the OpenChain Project . Huawei adheres open collaboration and innovation, has long been committed to establishing a compliance management system that aligns with industry best practices, and incorporating compliance management into end-to-end business activities and processes. ” Wang Yousheng, Director of Open Source & Developer Dept, Huawei. ““Huawei will be an active member in OpenChain Project , hopes through constantly enhancing mutual understanding, cooperation and trust with global developer and open source communities, to build a more secure and trustworthy open source software chain together.“

“China is the center of innovation across many types of technology, including open source,” says Shane Coughlan, OpenChain General Manager. “Huawei’s leadership in this space has helped build bridges across the world. Their decision to join the governing board of the OpenChain Project is  further evidence of this, and will be pivotable in taking OpenChain ISO 5230 to the next level. This will benefit every company using open source, a shared undertaking we approach with both excitement and respect.”

华为,作为全球信息技术和开源领域的领导者之一,加入了OpenChain项目的董事会。华为将同高通、谷歌、西门、丰田等其它20个全球企业一起努力协调开源软件供应链,以支持为高质量的开源软件合规而制定的 “OpenChain ISO 5230”国际标准。

“华为很高兴加入OpenChain 项目。华为坚持开放式合作与创新,同时长期致力于建立符合业界最佳实践的合规管理体系,并坚持将合规管理端到端地落实到业务活动及流程中。”华为开源与开发者部部长王有生说到:“华为将积极参与OpenChain项目,希望与全球开发者、开源社区一起,持续增强彼此的理解与互信合作,共建更加安全可信的开源软件供应链。”

“中国如今已是包括开源技术在内的多种技术的创新中心。”OpenChain的总经理Shane Coughlan说到:“华为在开源领域的领导地位,已帮助这一领域在全球范围内建立起了桥梁。他们加入OpenChain项目的董事会的决定进一步证明了这点,并将在把OpenChain ISO 5230标准提升到一个更高的水平的过程中发挥重要作用。这将使每家使用开源的公司都受益,这是我们既兴奋又尊重的共同事业。”

About Huawei

Founded in 1987, Huawei is a leading global provider of information and communications technology (ICT) infrastructure and smart devices. We have approximately 197,000 employees and we operate in over 170 countries and regions, serving more than three billion people around the world.
Huawei’s mission is to bring digital to every person, home and organization for a fully connected, intelligent world. To this end, we will: drive ubiquitous connectivity and promote equal access to networks to lay the foundation for the intelligent world; provide the ultimate computing power to deliver ubiquitous cloud and intelligence; build powerful digital platforms to help all industries and organizations become more agile, efficient, and dynamic; redefine user experience with AI, offering consumers more personalized and intelligent experiences across all scenarios, including home, travel, office, entertainment, and fitness & health.

关于华为

华为创立于1987年,是全球领先的ICT(信息与通信)基础设施和智能终端提供商。目前华为约有19.7万员工,业务遍及170多个国家和地区,服务全球30多亿人口。
华为致力于把数字世界带入每个人、每个家庭、每个组织,构建万物互联的智能世界:让无处不在的联接,成为人人平等的权利,成为智能世界的前提和基础;为世界提供最强算力,让云无处不在,让智能无所不及;所有的行业和组织,因强大的数字平台而变得敏捷、高效、生机勃勃;通过AI重新定义体验,让消费者在家居、出行、办公、影音娱乐、运动健康等全场景获得极致的个性化智慧体验。

OpenChain Webinar Today 2021-08-16 @ 14:00 UTC - Heads up on a very cool part of our forthcoming webinar. Carlo Piana and Alberto Pianon will open the door on a new frontier for OpenChain. Welcome to practical application in projects.

Heads up on a very cool part of our webinar today. Carlo Piana and Alberto Pianon will open the door on a new frontier for OpenChain. Welcome to practical application in projects.
'OpenChain beyond companies: How OpenHarmony and Openeuler have applied OpenChain ISO 5230 for process management'

And as mentioned earlier:

Helpful Engineering will discuss open innovation in the pandemic response with a focus on governance. Their case study will include a case study of an open source license violation (unpacking the situation, not naming names).

Join the call:
https://zoom.us/j/4377592799

Need to confirm your timezone?
2021-08-16 @ 14:00 UTC / 07:00 PST / 15:00 BST / 16:00 CEST / 19:30 IST / 22:00 CST / 23:00 KST / 23:00 JST

OpenChain Webinar Today 2021-08-16 @ 14:00 UTC / 07:00 PST / 15:00 BST / 16:00 CEST / 19:30 IST / 22:00 CST / 23:00 KST / 23:00 JST

OpenChain Webinar Today:

We have a bit of a treat today. Helpful Engineering will discuss open innovation in the pandemic response with a focus on governance. Their case study will include a case study of an open source license violation (unpacking the situation, not naming names).

Learn more about this organization:
https://helpfulengineering.org/

Join the call:
https://zoom.us/j/4377592799

Need to confirm your timezone?
2021-08-16 @ 14:00 UTC / 07:00 PST / 15:00 BST / 16:00 CEST / 19:30 IST / 22:00 CST / 23:00 KST / 23:00 JST

OpenChain ISO 5230 – Security Assurance Reference Guide Now Available

The OpenChain Project has a mission to establish trust in the Open Source from which Software Solutions are built. The International Standard OpenChain ISO 5230 addresses this matter from the perspective around open source license compliance. Many of the same processes are equally applicable to open source security and for this reason we are providing guidance regarding how they can be applied.

The OpenChain Security Assurance Reference Guide 1.0 has a similar format to OpenChain ISO 5230. It can be regarded as a map enabling a user to transpose the proven processes of ISO 5230 to the security domain. This first iteration of the reference guide focuses on the core process of identifying and addressing “known vulnerabilities.” Over time we will evolve the guide to refine its effectiveness.

The OpenChain Security Assurance Reference Guide should be understood as a method to complement rather than compete with security specific standards. It is quite possible that an organization is compliant with another given standard will automatically meet all the processes outlined in the OpenChain Security Assurance Reference Guide. This is by design.

As the OpenChain Project adds additional reference guides over time (e.g., quality, export compliance, malware and functional safety) the value of OpenChain ISO 5230 will grow. This work – as with all activity inside the OpenChain Project – will be undertaken by the community of user companies for the benefit of the community.

Get The Reference Guide
https://github.com/OpenChain-Project/SecurityAssuranceGuide/tree/main/Guide/1.0

Send Feedback To The Specification Team
https://lists.openchainproject.org/g/specification

Re: FINAL REMINDER: OpenChain Security Guidance Document - Last Call

Mark Gisi

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for the feedback. We briefly discussed your concern during the Specification working group meeting yesterday.

I know we'd like to focus on the open source part,
The Specification working group's mission is:
Establishing trust in the Open Source from which Software Solutions are built

but as realistically there are software components shipped down the supply chain that exist of both open source
and added self-developed code, shouldn't we at least add somewhere that people need to be aware of the
existing application specific security standards?
It is true the focus is on the open source part of the hybrid solutions you referred to. Most software solutions of at least moderate complexity will typically include some % of open source. In many cases (IoT devices, SaaS) it could be between 70-90%. We initially focus on the core process of identifying "known vulnerabilities" in the open source part because it typically represents a large % and that is where much of the data about vulnerabilities exists. That is where most companies start from and invest most of their effort in. Being able to detect vulnerabilities in the self-developed code (i.e., the non-open source part) is a more complex problem with much less public data and hence lower return on investment.

Because our focus is about establishing trust in open source the initial focus should contribute to that. We anticipate we will broaden the scope overtime based on community feedback (such as yours).

62443 anyway, why bother with the OpenChain security addendum at all...
OpenChain will likely complement as opposed to compete with many other standards. It is quite possible that an organization is compliant with another given standard that will automatically make them compliant with the OpenChain security addendum. That is ok - a supplier can claim compliant with both standards (something many suppliers like to do). Because the lion share of the software of many suppliers is comprised of open source, OEMs/manufacturers have become very interested in the health and well-being of the open source part. The key is for a manufacturer to obtain assurance that their suppliers are handling open source correctly (with respect to license compliance and security assurance). As OpenChain adds additional assurances overtime (e.g., quality, export compliance, malware and functional safety) the more valuable the OpenChain compliance suite becomes. That is - OpenChain will be able to provide a one stop shop for open source assurance (trust) which is a powerful value proposition.

I'd love to discuss this in today's call, but unfortunately I'm already off to another appointment...
We look forward to your future participation. These are the kinds of concerns we need to be discussing.

best,
Mark

Mark Gisi
Director, Open Source Program Office
Empowering Customers to Prosper using Open Source
(510) 749-2016