Date

Call for adoption - Security Assurance Specification

Hey everyone

I am collecting stories about people’s engagement with and adoption plans for the security assurance specification. Partly this is to understand where we are at with the specification in market, and partly this is to identify areas where we need new material to help others engage.

If you are in the process of adopting the specification please email me ( scoughlan@... ) and let me know how it is going. You can also catch me via WeChat at shane_coughlan

Re: [education] [telco] [openchain-automotive-work-group] [oss-based-compliance-tooling] OpenChain Work Groups – New and Improved Structure

Jacob Wilson

Something like this?

On Thu, Oct 27, 2022 at 10:19 AM Jimmy Ahlberg via lists.openchainproject.org <jimmy.ahlberg=ericsson.com@...> wrote:

That makes sense. Im sensitive to to many arrows and flows as there naturally will be a flow from the Local UGs back into both the WGs and the SIG. The UG is not an endpoint as I see them, but another for a to discuss and feedback into the other groups.

Your suggestion is good, but we should be careful as to not be so detailed that we do not see the forest for all the trees that stand in the way. 😊

BR J

From: main@... <main@...> on behalf of Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...>
Date: Thursday, 27 October 2022 at 14:09
To: OpenChain Main <main@...>
Cc: OpenChain Education <education@...>

[External]

Steve, Mary and Jimmy… I think we made some real progress here. Thank you all for working on slide concepts.

As you iterated on each other, perhaps we are emerging at a great place to describe the project. Jimmy’s concept of splitting work groups, special interest groups and user groups seems to be the final missing part.

Adjusting the final summary slide, here is what we are looking at. What do you think?

Re: [education] [telco] [openchain-automotive-work-group] [oss-based-compliance-tooling] OpenChain Work Groups – New and Improved Structure

Jimmy Ahlberg

From: main@... <main@...> on behalf of Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...>
Date: Thursday, 27 October 2022 at 14:09
To: OpenChain Main <main@...>
Cc: OpenChain Education <education@...>

[External]

Steve, Mary and Jimmy… I think we made some real progress here. Thank you all for working on slide concepts.

As you iterated on each other, perhaps we are emerging at a great place to describe the project. Jimmy’s concept of splitting work groups, special interest groups and user groups seems to be the final missing part.

Adjusting the final summary slide, here is what we are looking at. What do you think?

Re: [education] [telco] [openchain-automotive-work-group] [oss-based-compliance-tooling] OpenChain Work Groups – New and Improved Structure

Steve Kilbane

I think it looks great. 😊

From: main@... <main@...> on behalf of Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...>
Date: Thursday, 27 October 2022 at 14:09
To: OpenChain Main <main@...>
Cc: OpenChain Education <education@...>

[External]

Steve, Mary and Jimmy… I think we made some real progress here. Thank you all for working on slide concepts.

As you iterated on each other, perhaps we are emerging at a great place to describe the project. Jimmy’s concept of splitting work groups, special interest groups and user groups seems to be the final missing part.

Adjusting the final summary slide, here is what we are looking at. What do you think?

Linux Foundation – Building Trust in Software Supply Chains - How OpenChain by the Linux Foundation and other projects enable a trusted supply chain for open source software

Karsten invited me to join “The Open Source Way” podcast over at SAP to explain what we do and how it impacts the supply chain and large market.

Check out the recording here:
https://podcast.opensap.info/open-source-way/2022/10/26/linux-foundation-building-trust-in-software-supply-chains/

Re: [education] [telco] [openchain-automotive-work-group] [oss-based-compliance-tooling] OpenChain Work Groups – New and Improved Structure

Steve, Mary and Jimmy… I think we made some real progress here. Thank you all for working on slide concepts.

As you iterated on each other, perhaps we are emerging at a great place to describe the project. Jimmy’s concept of splitting work groups, special interest groups and user groups seems to be the final missing part.

Adjusting the final summary slide, here is what we are looking at. What do you think?

Re: [education] [telco] [openchain-automotive-work-group] [oss-based-compliance-tooling] OpenChain Work Groups – New and Improved Structure

Steve Kilbane

Oh, very nice. I was flailing in that approximate direction, but this is much clearer and workable.

steve

From: main@... <main@...> on behalf of Jimmy Ahlberg via lists.openchainproject.org <jimmy.ahlberg=ericsson.com@...>
Date: Thursday, 27 October 2022 at 12:45
To: main@... <main@...>, education@... <education@...>

[External]

Some further thinking on this. The slide layout is horrible at the moment but that can be addressed later.

The main change I would propose to implement is given each of the kinds of workgroups more of a distinct identity, having Working Groups (WG) for Global “Core” OpenChain activities, Special Interest Groups (SIG) for industry specific (but still global) topics and discussions, and the User Groups (UG) for local anchoring, community building and creating a platform for everyone to engage with OpenChain in a way (culturally) and in a language they are comfortable with.

BR J

From: main@... <main@...> on behalf of Wang, Mary via lists.openchainproject.org <mary.wang=volvocars.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, 25 October 2022 at 20:19
To: education@... <education@...>, OpenChain Main <main@...>

I think it will be good if we put the box into different category, See slide 2 of the attachment, (My personal opinion)

#I donot know which box the policy wg belong to. If it is oss policy, then shall move to openchain areas, if it is government policy, then maybe move to the top box.

Open Chain areas work group

  • Education
  • Licensing
  • Security
  • Export Control
  • Open Chain

Open Chain geographical work group

  • China
  • Japan
  • Korea
  • ...

Open Chain industry work group

  • Telcom
  • Automotive
  • Policy/Goverment

BR

Mary

Here is the slide visualizing the OpenChain Working Groups, ready for remix into new verticals proof of concept.

Everyone, this file welcomes your edits too :)

> On Oct 20, 2022, at 9:30, Steve Kilbane <stephen.kilbane@...> wrote:

>> Shane:

>> Does anyone want to take a shot at this visualization?

>  …..maybe. Where does the slide live? (I had a poke around the various repos, but didn’t spot anything semi-obvious).

>  Steve

>> Steve:

>>> You didn’t mention the Telco or Automotive WGs. While there might not be any changes there, perhaps the diagram might separate out the industry-specific WGs into a Verticals column, as they’re distinct from the geographical WGs and the topical WGs? That would also allow for emphasis that there’s scope for more WGs in both verticals and geography as need or desire arises?

>> Shane:

>> Absolutely. I just ran out of space in the slide.

>> Does anyone want to take a shot at this visualization?

Re: [education] [telco] [openchain-automotive-work-group] [oss-based-compliance-tooling] OpenChain Work Groups – New and Improved Structure

Steve Kilbane

A few more ideas on different arrangements.

steve

Here is the slide visualizing the OpenChain Working Groups, ready for remix into new verticals proof of concept.

Everyone, this file welcomes your edits too :)

> On Oct 20, 2022, at 9:30, Steve Kilbane <stephen.kilbane@...> wrote:

>> Shane:

>> Does anyone want to take a shot at this visualization?

>  …..maybe. Where does the slide live? (I had a poke around the various repos, but didn’t spot anything semi-obvious).

>  Steve

>> Steve:

>>> You didn’t mention the Telco or Automotive WGs. While there might not be any changes there, perhaps the diagram might separate out the industry-specific WGs into a Verticals column, as they’re distinct from the geographical WGs and the topical WGs? That would also allow for emphasis that there’s scope for more WGs in both verticals and geography as need or desire arises?

>> Shane:

>> Absolutely. I just ran out of space in the slide.

>> Does anyone want to take a shot at this visualization?

Re: [education] [telco] [openchain-automotive-work-group] [oss-based-compliance-tooling] OpenChain Work Groups – New and Improved Structure

Wang, Mary

Hi Shane,

I think it will be good if we put the box into different category, See slide 2 of the attachment, (My personal opinion)

#I donot know which box the policy wg belong to. If it is oss policy, then shall move to openchain areas, if it is government policy, then maybe move to the top box.

Open Chain areas work group

  • Education
  • Licensing
  • Security
  • Export Control
  • Open Chain

Open Chain geographical work group

  • China
  • Japan
  • Korea
  • ...

Open Chain industry work group

  • Telcom
  • Automotive
  • Policy/Goverment

BR

Mary

Here is the slide visualizing the OpenChain Working Groups, ready for remix into new verticals proof of concept.

Everyone, this file welcomes your edits too :)

> On Oct 20, 2022, at 9:30, Steve Kilbane <stephen.kilbane@...> wrote:

>> Shane:

>> Does anyone want to take a shot at this visualization?

>  …..maybe. Where does the slide live? (I had a poke around the various repos, but didn’t spot anything semi-obvious).

>  Steve

>> Steve:

>>> You didn’t mention the Telco or Automotive WGs. While there might not be any changes there, perhaps the diagram might separate out the industry-specific WGs into a Verticals column, as they’re distinct from the geographical WGs and the topical WGs? That would also allow for emphasis that there’s scope for more WGs in both verticals and geography as need or desire arises?

>> Shane:

>> Absolutely. I just ran out of space in the slide.

>> Does anyone want to take a shot at this visualization?

Re: [telco] [openchain-automotive-work-group] [oss-based-compliance-tooling] OpenChain Work Groups – New and Improved Structure

[...]

OpenChain Small Company Playbook Now Available As MarkDown

The OpenChain small company playbook (version 1) has been updated as part of our ongoing effort to make it easier to edit and translate OpenChain reference material. You can get it here:
https://github.com/OpenChain-Project/Reference-Material/blob/master/PlayBooks/Official/Version-1/Small-Company/en/OpenChain%20PlayBook%20-%20Small%20Company.md

Do you have ideas for improving this playbook? You can submit them in this email thread or by opening an issue on GitHub:
https://github.com/OpenChain-Project/Reference-Material/issues/new/choose

From: telco@... <telco@...> on behalf of Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...>
Date: Wednesday, 19 October 2022 at 15:25
To: OpenChain Automotive <openchain-automotive-work-group@groups.io>
Cc: OpenChain Tooling <oss-based-compliance-tooling@groups.io>, OpenChain Main <main@...>, OpenChain Education <education@...>, OpenChain Telco Work Group <telco@...>, OpenChain Conformance <conformance@...>, OpenChain Specification <specification@...>

[External]

Hi Steve

> On Oct 13, 2022, at 8:48, Steve Kilbane <stephen.kilbane@...> wrote:
> * I’m keen to see the Export Control WG get up and running. :-)

No sooner said than done. Mailing list now active and we formally launch in November. Lot of interest in this one.

> * Co-ordination between the Licensing and Security WGs will be important, IMO – if the two specs can remain as close as possible while evolving and improving, that will help with adoption, I think.

> * You didn’t mention the Telco or Automotive WGs. While there might not be any changes there, perhaps the diagram might separate out the industry-specific WGs into a Verticals column, as they’re distinct from the geographical WGs and the topical WGs? That would also allow for emphasis that there’s scope for more WGs in both verticals and geography as need or desire arises?

Absolutely. I just ran out of space in the slide.

Does anyone want to take a shot at this visualization?

Re: [openchain-automotive-work-group] [oss-based-compliance-tooling] OpenChain Work Groups – New and Improved Structure

[...]

OpenChain @ OSPOlogy.live Sweden 2022

The OpenChain Project took center stage alongside our peers at OpenSSF and TODO Group during the OSPOlogy.live event hosted by Ericsson in Sweden on the 19th and 20th of October 2022. The main presentation slides are available now for your review. Learn more:
https://www.openchainproject.org/news/2022/10/19/ospology-live-sweden-2022

Re: How To Join The New Export Control Work Group

Hi Sakshi (and everyone)

On Oct 19, 2022, at 10:45, Sakshi Sharma <sakshi.sharma@...> wrote:
Yes, I got an error saying my email is undeliverable.

Sakshi, I have added you directly to that work group.

Joining OpenChain Tooling Reference Work Group meetings (was Re: [openchain] How To Join The New Export Control Work Group)

Hi Sakshi!

From your email below, it is stated that you are trying to join an OpenChain Tooling Reference Work Group meeting? However, the email thread is about joining our Export Control Work Group. I am happy to help with both.

The next meeting of the OpenChain Tooling Reference Work Group is scheduled for today at 14:00 UTC (in about one hour) on their usual bi-weekly schedule.

At the scheduled time click to join the voice, video or screen sharing session:
https://conf.fsfe.org/b/compliance-tooling

Access Code: 199143

On Oct 19, 2022, at 10:38, Sakshi Sharma <sakshi.sharma@...> wrote:

Hi Shane,

I am trying to join the open source compliance tooling meeting. But seems I am unable to do so.

Regards,
Sakshi

From: main@...
<main@...> on behalf of Balakrishna Mukundaraj
<balakrishna1838@...>
Date: Monday, 17 October 2022 at 10:00 PM
To: oss-based-compliance-tooling@groups.io
<oss-based-compliance-tooling@groups.io>
Cc: OpenChain Main <main@...>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [openchain] Export Control Work Group Start
Date (was Re: [oss-based-compliance-tooling] OpenChain Work Groups –
New and Improved Structure)

I would also like to join please.

On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 at 21:48, Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...> wrote:
Julian, Chris and Steve, you have all been added to the next Export Control WG mailing list.

Anyone else want to join before the formal launch in November?

Subscribe by sending an email to this address:
export-control-wg+subscribe@...

On Oct 13, 2022, at 15:50, Christopher Wood <cvw01@...> wrote:

Shane
I would be interested in participating in the Export Control WG. I have a lot of experience working these issues.

On Oct 13, 2022, at 6:05 AM, Shane Coughlan <scoughlan@...> wrote:

Topical, definitely ;)

How about we have the first meeting in November? I am thinking circa 15th November.

On Oct 13, 2022, at 11:26, Julian Coccia <julian.coccia@...> wrote:

I'm also very interested in the Export Control WG!

On 13 Oct 2022, at 08:48, Steve Kilbane <stephen.kilbane@...> wrote:
HI all,

Looks good to me.

From: oss-based-compliance-tooling@groups.io
<oss-based-compliance-tooling@groups.io> on behalf of Shane
Coughlan <scoughlan@...>
Date: Wednesday, 12 October 2022 at 15:59
To: OpenChain Main <main@...>
Cc: OpenChain Education <education@...>,
OpenChain Telco Work Group <telco@...>,
OpenChain Conformance <conformance@...>,
OpenChain Specification
<specification@...>, OpenChain Automotive
<openchain-automotive-work-group@groups.io>, OpenChain Tooling
<oss-based-compliance-tooling@groups.io>
Subject: [oss-based-compliance-tooling] OpenChain Work Groups –
New and Improved Structure [External]

The OpenChain Project has been very active since its formal launch in late 2016. Our global community has built an ISO/IEC standard for license compliance, launched a de facto (and soon to be ISO/IEC) standard for security. We have contributed to SBOM, OSPO, training, policy and other discussions. We built the world’s largest library of open source management reference material.

To reflect our growth and to make it easier to navigate the project we are going to make some adjustments to our work groups. Nothing too radical, but definitely something to help people find their way around more quickly, and to get the information they want faster. The image above contains a summary of the evolution approved by our Governing Board at their last meeting in September, and targeted for release during October 2022.

The changes?

• The Specification Work Group will split into two parts – a Licensing Work Group for ISO/IEC 5230 and a Security Work Group for the Security Assurance Specification.
• The Education Work Group and Outreach Work Group will combine into the Education Work Group.
• We will launch a new Export Control Work Group and a new Policy Work Group. The former will help to navigate issues around increasing international trade tensions. The later will help us provide strategic advice around the highest level of planning for open source in legislation and business.
• The dormant Conformance Work Group will be wound down and discussions regarding self-certification moved to Education Work Group, with discussions about the nuance of conformance parameters moved to our Steering Committee.
• Finally (if there are no objections), we will re-brand the Reference Tooling Work Group to the Automation Work Group to help guide people hearing about automation to the right solutions.

Feedback?

Your feedback – as always – is most welcome. Please provide comments to our main mailing list:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lists.openchainproject.org/g/
main__;!!A3Ni8CS0y2Y!7UKvKw4i4uqlo8p2ARHma4zmbQsXGYNBVRH1C9pmK0rn
BuU4nP0j89f7myAOFhWMB1tdfW_n1uYdsBBzIdcFz1RC3wbVjik$<https://urld
efense.com/v3/__https:/lists.openchainproject.org/g/main__;!!A3Ni
8CS0y2Y!7UKvKw4i4uqlo8p2ARHma4zmbQsXGYNBVRH1C9pmK0rnBuU4nP0j89f7m
yAOFhWMB1tdfW_n1uYdsBBzIdcFz1RC3wbVjik$>
(or just reply all to this email)

Please provide feedback by Close of Business UTC (17:00 UTC) on the 18th of October 2022.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Balakrishna

Re: How To Join The New Export Control Work Group

Gilles Gravier

Hi!

Could you send the content of that "email is undeliverable" email? It might give a hint as to what is happening. 🙂

With my best regards,

Gilles Gravier
Director, Senior Strategy Advisor
Open Source Program Office