Date

Re: OpenChain Certification and Business Value

Trent Allgood

I agree with the previous statements as well. In addition, it might be hard to find current statements on Open Chain itself due to its relative infancy, especially as an ISO PAS, but Gartner has said a lot over the years about the business value of proper IT Asset Management (ITAM) & Software Asset Management (SAM) governance. ITAM includes SAM which itself includes Software License Management & Compliance which itself includes Open Source License Management & Compliance. One of the most common statistics used from Gartner (paraphrased) is: 'companies with mature Software Asset Management practices can recognize 30% cost savings the first year and 5% cost savings in each of the subsequent 5 years' (See G00214140 for the exact language). Gartner has also made several statements on the trend of IT Security concerns being the main driver for adopting proper SAM governance programs. An organization can't manage and mitigate what it is not aware of (e.g. the Equifax breach; the congressional report directly blames the lack of knowledge of what Software was running in the environment). This is commonly referred to as 'shadow IT' and Gartner states that it expects a third of future cyber security breaches to be facilitated by unmanaged shadow IT ('Gartner Predictions for IT Infrastructure and Operations 2016'). So depending on if your organization's scope is more broad than Open Source License Compliance, you may find additional compelling reasons and statistics. Keep in mind, there is also a family of ISO Standards for IT Asset Management: ISO/IEC 19770-1:2017.

Kind regards,

Trent Allgood
ISO/IEC JTC1 SC7/WG21, Secretary
Anglepoint, Director, ITAM

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 9:44 PM Prasad Iyer via lists.openchainproject.org <prasadiy=cisco.com@...> wrote:

This is an interesting question and really valid points from Oliver. In any major organization like ours, it is common for the portfolio governance Team to get the relevant justifications on the business(financial) value before they make a call to invest on any major initiative/projects. When it comes to Compliance related initiatives, it is really difficult to quantify in actual dollars the business value-add.

Here are some thoughts that I would like to share  on this -- Apart from the legal obligation, Compliance can be considered more as an insurance policy for the larger organization that offers protection from any potential license violation related liabilities/law suits and leakage of IPs in the future. In addition to this, having a robust compliance process is fundamental to generating and maintaining the most accurate Bill Of Materials (BOMs) for a given Product that may improve corresponding organization’s Supply chain forecasting accuracy. A stable and well managed Compliance program helps major organizations to ensure not to miss or over pay on their royalty payment obligations which at times can lead to major financial losses or litigations. So just to summarize, one may not be able to tag a given dollar amount as the Business value-add for having a dynamic and effective compliance program  since it may not be realized accurately in a short term. However, Organization’s overall Productivity and improved forecasting accuracy are the most certain business values one may realize due to Compliance in addition to legal and liability protection that can’t be quantified and may vary from case to case as appropriate.

Cheers,

signature_126515226

Prasad Iyer

Director, Engineering - Product Operations

Email : prasadiy@...

Phone: +1 (408) 315-5101

DNS

From: <main@...> on behalf of Oliver Fendt <oliver.fendt@...>
Date: Saturday, February 20, 2021 at 8:52 AM
To: "main@..." <main@...>
Subject: Re: [openchain] OpenChain Certification and Business Value

Hi Robert,

This is a kind of strange question – it sounds to me like – What is the business justification not to breaking the law?

Would this organization do business with organizations which do not care about law? Or put it the other way – Are they a serious business partner, with such kind of attitude?

But coming back to your question, I am not aware about studies in this regard, I think it is to early for existing studies, it is an ISO standard since 2 months now.

OpenChain conformance is not only about OSS compliance it is about license compliance in general.

So the business justification is less damages, settlements and lawsuits => cost reduction. The copyright act defines strong measures against entities, which are not in compliance with law at least in Germany ( https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/englisch_urhg/englisch_urhg.html#p0561 – this has to be taken seriously, think about the consequences in such a case

I am sure that we will see more and more companies requiring OpenChain conformance in their supplier conditions. Especially those companies, which integrate supplier goods in their own offerings will require OpenChain conformance. It might be that the public sector will also require it.

The business justification is that this organization will be able to do business with companies that will require OpenChain conformance.

Ciao

Oliver

Recently, I was asked whether I could supply a business justification for OpenChain certification. "Business justification," in this case, means will it have any effect on sales. Is there a dollar amount that can be attached to compliance? Have we lost or gained a sale by compliance/certification? Personally, I do not know. Has there been a study that demonstrates tangible business value? Does anyone have experience with a sale that depended on having OpenChain compliance? Or a well-defined Open Source program?

OpenChain Certification and Business Value

Robert

Recently, I was asked whether I could supply a business justification for OpenChain certification. "Business justification," in this case, means will it have any effect on sales. Is there a dollar amount that can be attached to compliance? Have we lost or gained a sale by compliance/certification? Personally, I do not know. Has there been a study that demonstrates tangible business value? Does anyone have experience with a sale that depended on having OpenChain compliance? Or a well-defined Open Source program?

Latest OpenChain Newsletter now available

Jennifer McGinnis <jmcginnis@...>

OpenChain Global Work Teams - Fourth Monday Call - Mon, 2021-02-22 7:00am-8:00am, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

main@lists.openchainproject.org Calendar <main@...>

Reminder: OpenChain Global Work Teams - Fourth Monday Call

When: Monday, 22 February 2021, 7:00am to 8:00am, (GMT-08:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:Zoom - https://us02web.zoom.us/j/9990120120?pwd=NzVCaFE2L1RRRFZaSkk0dm8xdlplUT09

Organizer: Shane Coughlan scoughlan@...

Join Zoom Meeting ( https://us02web.zoom.us/j/9990120120?pwd=NzVCaFE2L1RRRFZaSkk0dm8xdlplUT09 )
Meeting ID: 999 012 0120
Password: 123456

OpenChain Webinar #18 – Exploring Sustainable Community Management Through FreeDOS – Full Recording

Catch up with our latest webinar - full recording out now.
https://www.openchainproject.org/featured/2021/02/17/openchain-webinar-18-recording

FreeDOS is a 23 year old community project focused on providing a complete DOS-compatible environment for running legacy software and supporting embedded systems. It has maintained stable development and community management throughout its multi-decade life. In this webinar Jim Hall explores how this type of consistency was possible and how it can apply to other projects.

OpenChain Bi-Weekly Webinar - Mon, 2021-02-15 #cal-notice

main@lists.openchainproject.org Calendar <noreply@...>

OpenChain Bi-Weekly Webinar

When:
Monday, 15 February 2021
7:00am to 8:00am
(GMT-08:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/9990120120?pwd=NzVCaFE2L1RRRFZaSkk0dm8xdlplUT09

Organizer:
scoughlan@... 00818040358083

This is part of the bi-weekly OpenChain Webinar series. Every two weeks we have international speakers covering a wide range of topics related to practical open source compliance challenges, solutions and considerations. You can learn more about this series here: https://www.openchainproject.org/webinars-interviews

Join Our Zoom Meeting

One Tap Telephone (no screensharing)

  • +358 9 4245 1488,,9990120120# Finland
  • +33 7 5678 4048,,9990120120# France
  • +49 69 7104 9922,,9990120120# Germany
  • +852 5808 6088,,9990120120# Hong Kong
  • +39 069 480 6488,,9990120120# Italy
  • +353 6 163 9031,,9990120120# Ireland
  • +81 524 564 439,,9990120120# Japan
  • +82 2 6105 4111,,9990120120# Korea
  • +34 917 873 431,,9990120120# Spain
  • +46 850 539 728,,9990120120# Sweden
  • +41 43 210 71 08,,9990120120# Switzerland
  • +44 330 088 5830,,9990120120# UK
  • +16699006833,,9990120120# US (San Jose)
  • +12532158782,,9990120120# US

Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/abeUqy3kYQ
Not all countries have available numbers.

After dialing the local number enter 9990120120#

Webinar right now: Exploring Sustainable Community Management Through FreeDOS

We are just about to start our latest webinar. Like, right now.

This time we use a fun optic (FreeDOS) to discuss a very serious item: successful and sustainable project management.

We meet without registration via Zoom: ⁨https://us02web.zoom.us/j/9990120120?pwd=NzVCaFE2L1RRRFZaSkk0dm8xdlplUT09⁩

Learn more:
https://www.openchainproject.org/.../15/openchain-webinar-18

OpenChain Bi-Weekly Webinar - Mon, 2021-02-15 7:00am-8:00am, Please RSVP #cal-reminder

main@lists.openchainproject.org Calendar <main@...>

Reminder: OpenChain Bi-Weekly Webinar

When: Monday, 15 February 2021, 7:00am to 8:00am, (GMT-08:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:https://us02web.zoom.us/j/9990120120?pwd=NzVCaFE2L1RRRFZaSkk0dm8xdlplUT09

Organizer: Shane Coughlan scoughlan@... 00818040358083

Description: This is part of the bi-weekly OpenChain Webinar series. Every two weeks we have international speakers covering a wide range of topics related to practical open source compliance challenges, solutions and considerations. You can learn more about this series here: https://www.openchainproject.org/webinars-interviews

[...]

This time we use a fun optic to discuss a very serious item: successful and sustainable project management.

FreeDOS is a 23 year old community project focused on providing a complete DOS-compatible environment for running legacy software and supporting embedded systems. It has maintained stable development and community management throughout its multi-decade life. In this webinar Jim Hall will explore how this type of consistency was possible and how it can apply to other projects.

Join Us Monday 15th February:
07:00 Pacific (PST)
15:00 London (GMT)
16:00 Berlin (CET)
23:00 Beijing / Taipei (CST)
00:00 Seoul / Tokyo (KST / JST)

We meet without registration via Zoom: ⁨https://us02web.zoom.us/j/9990120120?pwd=NzVCaFE2L1RRRFZaSkk0dm8xdlplUT09⁩

Learn More:
https://www.openchainproject.org/featured/2021/02/15/openchain-webinar-18

Introducing Jennifer McGinnis (Jenni)

Hi Everyone!

I would like to introduce you to Jennifer McGinnis (Jenni), who will be helping OpenChain around Project Management moving forward.

Jenni has already been collaborating with Rachel in the background and will become more visible in our everyday activities. You can expect to meet her on calls, around our news and so on. I’m looking forward to this new chapter for OpenChain!

e: scoughlan@...

[oss-based-compliance-tooling] recordings available

Heads up everyone! Latest tooling workgroup recordings available :)

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Oliver Fendt" <oliver.fendt@...>
Subject: [oss-based-compliance-tooling] recordings available
Date: February 11, 2021 5:55:13 JST

OpenChain Global Work Group Meeting 8th February – Full Recording

OpenChain Global Work Group Meeting 8th February – Full Recording
This was a pretty big meeting covering the spec, extensions and our new online course:
https://www.openchainproject.org/news/2021/02/11/openchain-global-work-group-meeting-8th-february-full-recording

OpenChain Education Work Group Call #7 - Full Recording

OpenChain Education Work Group Call #7 - Full Recording
This was a short meeting discussing approaches to building the online course:
https://www.openchainproject.org/news/2021/02/11/openchain-education-work-group-call-7-full-recording

1241 - 1260 of 5042