Date

OpenChain Third Monday Meeting - This Monday at 5pm San Francisco + Tuesday 8am Beijing & Taipei / 9am Seoul & Tokyo

Dear All

This is a reminder that our regular Third Monday call will take place this Monday at 5pm San Francisco, that being Tuesday 8am Beijing & Taipei / 9am Seoul & Tokyo.

We will be catching up on latest news, digging into some of the new reference material, and talking about forthcoming (virtual) global and regional work group activities. We will also take one last spin through the ISO draft spec to discuss the appropriate timing to launch online self-certification.

==

Join the call: https://uberconference.com/openchainproject

Optional US dial in number: 855-889-3011
No PIN needed

If you need to use an international phone number:
1. Dial the country number based on your location.
2. Enter 855 889 3011 and then # to enter the room.

Argentina
011 5352-7853

Australia
(02) 8417 2302

Austria
0720 883760

Belgium
02 808 40 28

Brazil
(11) 3500-8339

Bulgaria

Canada
(647) 694-4842

Colombia
(1) 5087553

Croatia

Cyprus
25 030290

Czech Republic
228 881 354

Czech Republic
597 499 796

Denmark
69 91 25 10

Dominican Republic
(829) 954-8429

El Salvador
2113 1872

Estonia
668 3205

Finland
09 42450409

France
01 82 88 57 11

Germany
030 30807999

Greece

Hong Kong
5808 3219

Hungary
(1) 408 8251

Ireland
(01) 525 5652

Israel
072-223-7397

Italy

Japan

Latvia

Lithuania
(8-5) 214 0245

Luxembourg
27 86 01 18

Malaysia
03-9212 1770

Malta
2778 0968

Mexico
01 55 4628 2602

Netherlands
020 808 4062

New Zealand
09-887 3488

Norway
23 96 01 42

Panama
833-9020

Peru
(01) 7087243

Poland
22 307 18 02

Portugal
308 802 875

Puerto Rico
(787) 919-0379

Romania
031 630 0092

Singapore
3158 0641

Slovakia
02/334 183 24

Slovenia
(01) 888 82 12

South Africa
087 551 7697

South Korea
02-6022-2388

Spain
911 23 89 04

Sweden
08-408 394 78

Switzerland
022 518 08 35

Taiwan

United Kingdom
020 3514 1993

United States
(401) 283-2000

OpenChain is open for business

The COVID-19 situation has had a real impact on physical meetings around the OpenChain Project, with shutdowns all across Asia, and pauses in the United States and Europe. However, I am proud to say that our globally community is continuing to carry forward our mission, and we have seen a great uptick in our online activities. On target for more global work groups, releases and our forthcoming graduation from ISO. Nice work everyone!
https://www.openchainproject.org/news

OpenChain Releases Metrics to Evaluate Source Code Scanning Tools

Today the OpenChain Project is releasing a community contribution from Ibrahim Haddad covering metrics that can be applied to evaluate source code scanning tools. This is a timely topic, given the amount of discussion around our global community around automation, and the initial release of this document is intended to encourage discussion about what a final, official OpenChain reference document could contain.
https://www.openchainproject.org/news/2020/03/13/openchain-releases-metrics-to-evaluate-source-code-scanning-tools

The 5th Meeting of OpenChain Korea Work Group – Remote and Going Ahead on the 19th of March - Typo Corrected

The fifth meeting of the OpenChain Korea Work Group will take place as a remote conference call at 2pm on the 19th of March. All interested parties are invited to attend and to help make the first major meeting in Korea this year a success. Topics will include a review of open source use in enterprises, an exploration of a new ‘Introduction to OpenChain’ manual published by NIPA, and a collaborative round-table session on Bill of Material tracking.

Join the Meeting:
• Schedule: 2020-03-19 (Thu) 2:00~ pm
• How to join on PC
(2) Your Name 입력 후, “Join audio-only” 클릭하여 방에 입장
(3) Confirm settings 화면에서 마이크와 스피커 설정 확인 후 > Join conference
• How to join on Phone
(1) 핸드폰에서 02-6022-2388로 전화
(2) 855 889 3011 # 입력

Get More Details on the Meeting:

Get More Details on all OpenChain Korea Activities:

The 5th Meeting of OpenChain Korea Work Group – Remote and Going Ahead on the 19th of March

The fifth meeting of the OpenChain Korea Work Group will take place as a remote conference call at 2pm on the 19th of March. All interested parties are invited to attend and to help make the first major meeting in Korea this year a success. Topics will include a review of open source use in enterprises, an exploration a new ‘Introduction to OpenChain’ manual published by NIPA, and a collaborative round-table session on Bill of Material tracking.

Join the Meeting:
• Schedule: 2020-03-19 (Thu) 2:00~ pm
• How to join on PC
(2) Your Name 입력 후, “Join audio-only” 클릭하여 방에 입장
(3) Confirm settings 화면에서 마이크와 스피커 설정 확인 후 > Join conference
• How to join on Phone
(1) 핸드폰에서 02-6022-2388로 전화
(2) 855 889 3011 # 입력

Get More Details on the Meeting:

Get More Details on all OpenChain Korea Activities:

Making it easier to explore official OpenChain partners

The OpenChain Partner information page has been revamped to make it easier to identify the various solution providers in our eco-system. You can check the details here:
https://www.openchainproject.org/partners

OpenChain Welcomes South Toranomon Law Offices as Our Latest Partner

The OpenChain Project is delighted to welcome South Toranomon Law Offices as the latest participant in our partner program. South Toranomon Law Offices is one of the oldest leading business law firms in Japan, providing services and support around litigation, general corporate, intellectual property, employment, international and professional liability among other things. They have deep experience in working with corporate clients around the management of open source software, including in the area of open source license compliance.

“South Toranomon Law Offices are the first law firm in Japan to join the OpenChain Partner Program,” says Shane Coughlan, OpenChain General Manager. “We are delighted to have the opportunity to collaborate with legal professionals such as Uenuma San in the development of strong support services for the OpenChain industry standard in Japan.”

Learn More:
https://www.openchainproject.org/featured/2020/03/12/openchain-welcomes-south-toranomon-law-offices-as-our-latest-partner

Open Source Software: The Legal Framework for Free Software 5th Edition Out Now - Featuring OpenChain

The fifth edition of the seminal open source compliance book by Dr Till Jaeger and Professor Axel Metzger is now out in German. This updated edition features OpenChain prominently in the compliance chapter, further solidifying our place in the larger software governance ecosystem, and ensuring a new audience can understand our role in defining the key requirements of quality open source compliance programs. While an English version of this book is not available, OpenChain has an extensive and growing German Work Group, and we hope this text may be useful in discussions with suppliers.

Get a Copy
https://www.amazon.de/Open-Source-Software-Rechtliche-Rahmenbedingungen/dp/3406734979/

Fiducia & GAD Win Multiple Awards at SAM Strategies

Fiducia & GAD came third in the Public Award category and received the special Jury Award at the recent SAM Strategies event held in Germany. Stefan Thanheiser and his team have spearheaded the topic of open source license compliance in software asset management, and have been an early participant in the OpenChain Project German community as we formalize the key requirements of quality open source compliance programs. We are delighted to celebrate their work and promotion of OpenChain in Germany and beyond.

Learn More About Fiducia & GAD
http://www.fiduciagad.de/

Check Out SAM Strategies
https://www.sam-strategies.de/

EACG OpenChain One-Slide Explanation

Jan Thielscher and his team at EACG have prepared a one-slide overview of the OpenChain Project. Clear, easy-to-digest communication is critical as OpenChain expands and our industry standard for open source compliance is more widely adopted. We deeply appreciate all the work by our users and partners in helping with this process.

The EACG overview material is licensed under CC-BY-SA-4.0. It is not part of our CC-0 reference library but it is freely available.

Get It Here

https://www.openchainproject.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2020/03/EACG-OpenChain-One-Slide-Overview.zip

OpenChain Releases Draft Worksheets

As part of the OpenChain Project’s ongoing commitment to providing a large library of useful reference material, and thanks to the kind contribution of Ibrahim Haddad, we are delighted to release a series of draft worksheets to help companies with their governance activities. This material is sourced from Ibrahim’s book ‘Assessment Of Open Source Practices As Part Of Due Diligence In Merger and Acquisition Transactions’. You can get the full book for free on the Linux Foundation website.

The Draft Worksheets Cover
• Adaption of Business Processes
• Automation and Tool Support
• Community Contributions
• Compliance Process Management
• Compliance Staffing
• Discover of Open Source Software
• Obligation Satisfaction
• Open Source Software Inventory
• Policy
• Process Adherence
• Review and Approval of the Usage of Open Source Software
• Training
• Verification

As usual this additions to the OpenChain Project library are under CC-0. We look forward not only to your use of this material, but also your help in further improving it over time.

Review, Use, Share and Improve the Worksheets:
https://github.com/OpenChain-Project/Reference-Material/tree/master/Worksheets/Official/Starter-Worksheet-Set/en/Beta-Release-1

A note to the OpenChain Community - The Linux Foundation Membership Summit (10~12 March, Tahoe) has been cancelled

Dear OpenChain Community

The Linux Foundation Membership Summit (10~12 March, Tahoe) has been cancelled due to the evolving situation around COVID-19. This was a difficult decision but ultimately it is the right thing to do for the safety and comfort of the Linux Foundation community.

This development means a couple of things:
(1) The OpenChain talks and panels will not take place
(2) The meetings we had planned (our board meeting) will be moved to pure teleconference
(3) We will seek to ensure the information and knowledge that would have been shared face-to-face is instead shared via our mailing lists and calls.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

e: @shanecoughlan

https://calendly.com/shanecoughlan

Yoma Bank Announces the Latest OpenChain Conformant Program

The OpenChain Project is delighted to highlight that Yoma Bank is the latest organization to have a publicly announced OpenChain conformant program. Yoma Bank joins many other companies from a diverse range of market sectors collaborating to make open source compliance faster, more effective and more efficient.

Yoma is the first bank to announce OpenChain conformance.
https://www.openchainproject.org/news/2020/03/05/yoma-bank-announces-the-latest-openchain-conformant-program

id est avocats is the Latest OpenChain Partner

Exciting news on the OpenChain community infrastructure side: id est avocats is the Latest OpenChain Partner - our 25th! Michel Jaccard and his team have deep experience in the field and mark our official expansion into Switzerland. As usual in our partner growth, this is a law firm that can support user companies of all sizes in all markets seeking outside counsel for support.
https://www.openchainproject.org/news/2020/03/05/id-est-avocats-is-the-latest-openchain-partner

OpenChain Reference Library Relaunched – Discovery and Translation First

We walked through this item in detail on the First Monday call and now I am starting our global public promotion. Check out the reference library. It is now a super-quick way for anyone to discover official and community knowledge + contribute new material or improvements.

This is by far the single biggest release we have ever had (over 400 documents completely reorganized).

==

The OpenChain Project has a comprehensive reference library covering all aspects of open source compliance management, including numerous resources related to training, policy and process content. This official and community-sourced reference material has been extensively reordered to allow easier discovery of content and to provide a multi-language first approach.

This involved consolidating 43 repositories into 1 to ensure anyone can quickly access, download, share and remix our extensive CC-0 material, while also being able to access, download and share case studies and similar material under different licenses.

At the same time as reorganizing the 395 documents in the reference library we took the opportunity to make the official Specification and translation easier to browse, to make our community image assets simpler to access, and to locate the project charter and other official agreements in a single location.

We invite you to check out the results and to help us expand, improve and translate the material ahead of becoming an ISO standard.

https://www.openchainproject.org/uncategorized/2020/03/04/openchain-reference-library-relaunched-discovery-and-translation-first

New Spec editing issue submitted during First Monday call

Hi all

Hans from Bosch brought up a topic on one rationale in the spec and - subsequent to the call - opened an issue on GitHub:
https://github.com/OpenChain-Project/Specification/issues/50

Pasted below for easy reference:

= Text under review =

§3.4.1 Compliance Artifacts -- Rationale:
“To ensure reasonable commercial efforts have been instituted in the preparation of the compliance artifacts that accompany the supplied software, as required by the identified licenses”

= Proposition =

There should be no reference to a “reasonable efforts” standard in respect of fulfillment of an OSS license, because the law applies “strict liability”.

= Reasoning =

Generally and probably world wide, copyright law forbids copying, modifying and distributing of copyrighted works, if and insofar there is no grant of such a right by the author/copyright holder. And in respect of Open Source Software, this right is granted under conditions – the OSS License. If the OSS License is not fulfilled, there is no such permission, thus an infringement of copyright. Whether or not an OSS license is fulfilled depends on a strict standard of care (because it is a grant “in rem”, not a mere contract between parties). So the answer can only be “yes, OSS license fulfilled” or “no, OSS license not fulfilled”. There is no grey zone like “yes, if reasonable efforts were made to fulfill the OSS license”. We should avoid any language, even in a rationale, which could give the impression of accepting a standard of care which is not in line with the law.

= Suggestion for a new rationale =

“To ensure the compliance artifacts that accompany the supplied software have been provided and prepared, as required by the identified licenses”

Re: OpenChain First Monday Call - Today at 9am Pacific / 5pm UK / 6pm CET

Dear all

We had an excellent OpenChain Global First Monday call. We covered a lot of news and we had a robust, useful discussion on some items in the specification.

You can review the agenda here:
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/_media/openchain/openchain_agenda_2020-03-02.pdf
You can review the video minutes here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PogZgLLeKyc

As always, you can see all our agenda slides and minutes here:
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openchain/minutes

On Mar 3, 2020, at 1:19, Shane Coughlan via Lists.Openchainproject.Org <scoughlan=linuxfoundation.org@...> wrote:

Dear OpenChain Community

This is a reminder that our regular First Monday call takes place today at 9am Pacific / 5pm UK / 6pm CET.

This call will primarily address the biggest update and consolidation ever undertaken for our library of reference material and provide a practical walk-through. We also have some great new reference material to review on the call.

The goal is to talk through how we fit existing and new reference material into our global messaging ahead of becoming an ISO standard. Our reference material, whether in the form of training, process examples, policy examples or various guides, will be critical to ensure customers, suppliers and other interested parties have a clear understanding of how to adopt the key requirements of a quality open source compliance program.

==

Agenda and Minutes: https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openchain/minutes

[...]

Re: Draft OpenChain Specification 2.0 Available in Russian

Sure! That works. We just need a technical or legal professional in the field who can provide a balanced second set of eyes.

We do not need both, so just one person is fine.

On Mar 4, 2020, at 5:30, Денис <dda-lawyer@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Shane,
please remind me, what kind of contacts who knows Russian do you need?
As I remember previous our procedure of verification, we needed one Russian-speaking lawyer and one developer to check and verify my translation.
Is now the procedure the same?

regards,
Denis

27.02.2020, 04:37, "Shane Coughlan" <@shanecoughlan>:
Thanks Jeremiah! That’s fantastic.

On Feb 25, 2020, at 23:49, Jeremiah C. Foster <@jeremiah> wrote:

Hello,

I have contacts in Russia at Luxoft who may be willing to review the translation. I'll contact them.

Regards,

Jeremiah