OSADL demo for consideration of certification prototype -- OpenChain agenda 12/7

Dave Marr

On Jan 11, 2016, at 5:02 PM, Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...> wrote:

[...] The general perception appears to be that improved ecosystem compliance offers long-term strategic benefits which offset the “cost" of reducing short-term individual company compliance process advantages.
Better said than my long run-on attempt at a sentence. Very glad there is that consistency across geos. Esp. for OpenChain it would seem we need it to be global and not confined to regional success.

Dave

Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...>

Hi Dave

I wanted to chime in and note that this perspective aligns with what I have heard from larger companies in China, Japan and Korea with significant Open Source engagement. The general perception appears to be that improved ecosystem compliance offers long-term strategic benefits which offset the “cost" of reducing short-term individual company compliance process advantages.

On Jan 5, 2016, at 06:20 , Marr, David <dmarr@...> wrote:

Yes, much of what each of us might do in our company roles is often intended to benefit folks downstream through good compliance and some of those practices might be positive differentiators for a company, but the reason why we (or at least I) wish to make contributions to OpenChain is because we would happily trade those possible differentiators for the outcomes of better ecosystem compliance, shortened time-to-market, and cost savings.

De : Jim Hutchison [mailto:hutch@...] Envoyé : jeudi 10
décembre 2015 01:18 À : RUFFIN, MICHEL (MICHEL); RUFFIN, MICHEL
(MICHEL) Objet : OSADL demo for consideration of certification
prototype -- [OpenChain] OpenChain agenda 12/7

Hi Michel,

In our last OpenChain meeting, OSADL shared this prototype with the
working group. You might find it interesting, as a representation of
current thinking of how we might collect certification data.

https://www.foss-slca.org
User name: openchain
Password: buE93oaCw

If you don't submit at the end, Till assured us they would receive no
data. Also they would not be worried by test/hypothetical data you
might enter in trying out their prototype.

Regards,

Jim Hutchison

RUFFIN, MICHEL (MICHEL) <michel.ruffin@...>

Jilayne Lovejoy <Jilayne.Lovejoy@...>

behalf of hutch@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim,
I am sorry not being able to participate more to Openchain discussions, I really think it is important but at the moment I am involved in the integration between Alcatel-Lucent and Nokia (on FOSS issues 8-)) and this is taking a lot of my bandwidth.

Anyway I am available to answer dedicated questions and will try in the future to participate to Openchain more.

My point of view is that the questions sent to companies should be more on

"an issue, how do you solve the issue", not on "proposing a solution and how you comply with this solution".

Second point is not attaching documents, I have no time to write special documents for OpenChain and the ALU process is are around 140 pages of text and mixed sometimes with confidential information, so replace it with free text

We will need more discussion on this and I am happy to help. it is in the interest of ALU and Nokia that Openchain is successful and so far I have a white blanket to participate from ALU and Nokia.