OpenChain M&A Checklist -

Shane Coughlan <coughlan@...>

Hi all!

Indira (our community representative) is planning to kick off activity around an OpenChain M&A Checklist.

To get the ball rolling I have created a shared Google Doc here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15Mmj3Ngbb3mLStUBCBAhVBelgucG3tTgRp9JWPpv8_w/edit?usp=sharing
(Indira, empty doc for you!)

All welcome to join Indira on fleshing out / structuring the material.

How about we put a target release date of October 23rd, the day of the OpenChain Workshop at Open Source Summit Europe?

e: coughlan@...
p: +81 (0) 80 4035 8083
w: www.openchainproject.org

Professional profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/shanecoughlan

Get my free book on open source compliance here:
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/research/practical-gpl-compliance

J Lovejoy

is the checklist aimed to be a list of things to check for the acquirer? or for the target to make sure it has done?

:)

Jilayne

On Oct 10, 2018, at 6:29 AM, Shane Coughlan <coughlan@...> wrote:

Hi all!

Indira (our community representative) is planning to kick off activity around an OpenChain M&A Checklist.

To get the ball rolling I have created a shared Google Doc here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15Mmj3Ngbb3mLStUBCBAhVBelgucG3tTgRp9JWPpv8_w/edit?usp=sharing
(Indira, empty doc for you!)

All welcome to join Indira on fleshing out / structuring the material.

How about we put a target release date of October 23rd, the day of the OpenChain Workshop at Open Source Summit Europe?

e: coughlan@...
p: +81 (0) 80 4035 8083
w: www.openchainproject.org

Professional profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/shanecoughlan

Get my free book on open source compliance here:
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/research/practical-gpl-compliance

Shane Coughlan <coughlan@...>

Defer to Indira, but I understand her starting point is a checklist for the acquirer :)

Indira, the floor is yours!

On Oct 10, 2018, at 12:01, J Lovejoy <opensource@...> wrote:

[...]

Bhatt, Indira <ibhatt@...>

Hi Shane and Jilayne,

Thanks and I'm super excited about this one!

Typically at deal time the information request/checklist comes from the acquirer and is sent off to the target. The onus is on target to provide docs/and/or checklist responses to the acquirer in a timely manner. Acquirer then begins reviews etc. I would go with the acquirer to begin with. :)
Although, I think in the future we can do a checklist for both since it applies to both sides. Thoughts?

Indira

[...]

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in the governing KPMG client engagement letter.

Matija Šuklje

On sreda, 10. oktober 2018 18:53:27 CEST Bhatt, Indira wrote:
Although, I think in the future we can do a checklist for both
since it applies to both sides. Thoughts?
The proposed strategy sounds great and we should definitely pursue
it.

But I think it depends on the type of target on what and when they
want to start caring about the M&A. There is at least one group of
companies – lovingly sometimes referred to as: start up, cash in,
sell out (bro down) – whose main business plan is to be a target
of an M&A. Word on the street is that often in these cases,
companies try to look interesting to be a target, but once you
unwrap the shiny wrapper, there’s a lot of dirt to clean up. I
have seen even services promoting themselves to do the
sugarcoating and superficial clean-up to seem more appealing to be
acquired.

In the long term, we might want to have a separate target group
for companies that are actively looking to become an M&A target.
If a target would be compliant with the OpenChain spec already
before acquirer asked them to be, they may both be a more
interesting target and also reduce the risk for the acquiring
company.

cheers,
Matija Šuklje
--
gsm: +386 41 849 552
www: http://matija.suklje.name

Oliver Fendt

Hi all,

such kind of Check list would be a big help for the M&A teams.
I think it should be enough to have one. This one shall focus on the acquiring company. For the targets it is easy to derive the required things they have to do and to set up when they have the list the acquiring company will check.

Ciao
Oliver

[...]

Hi Shane and everyone,

The Google Doc is updated.

Shane, I'd love to call in to the OpenChain meeting if there is a dial-in planned. Please let me know.

Best,
Indira

[...]

Masao Taniguchi

Hello.

By the way, there is another LF white paper that argues about
compliance related to M&A transaction.

"Open Source Audits in Merger and Acquisition Transactions"
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/blog/2018/02/open-source-audits-merger-acquisition-transactions-get-free-ebook/

In chapter 11 "Recommended compliance-related development practices",
also seems to work as a kind of a check list.

I think would-be readers will be comfortable if mentioned the
relationship with this white paper in the document.

Best regards,

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 03:08:31 +0000
"Bhatt, Indira" <ibhatt@...> wrote:

Sub: Re: [OpenChain] OpenChain M&A Checklist -
[...]

Hello Masao-San,

Thank you. Very familiar with the white paper. I think it's a great idea to link to it.
There is also this course that I've both taken and had analysts and dev folk that I've trained take for basic compliance which is really pretty awesome.
There's a ton of good resources on LF!

https://training.linuxfoundation.org/training/compliance-basics-for-developers/

Indira

[...]

Hi Indira!

I am delighted to hear the Linux Foundation course was useful for you. This free course is one of the items that I think is worth sharing widely.

Disclaimer: I helped with revising the course ;)