License issue on linuximq

曹知渊(Joel)

Hello everyone.

We are considering using https://github.com/imq/linuximq in some product. The files are patches for Linux Kernel. But the license of this project seems a bit confusing. As stated in the README, the license is GPLv3+. GPLv3+ is not compatible with GPLv2 which means these patches should not be applied to Linux Kernel. But if you open the patches, you will find GPLv2 notice in there instead of GPLv3+. So can we just simply treat this project as a GPLv2’ed one? Thanks.

Joel Cao
Engineer
Open Source Program Office | OPPO
+86-13817587682

OPPO

本电子邮件及其附件含有OPPO公司的保密信息,仅限于邮件指明的收件人使用(包含个人及群组)。禁止任何人在未经授权的情况下以任何形式使用。如果您错收了本邮件,请立即以电子邮件通知发件人并删除本邮件及其附件。

This e-mail and its attachments contain confidential information from OPPO, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by phone or email immediately and delete it!

Carlo "Kappa" Piana

Dear Joel,

My take in this case is that the specific licensing in the file trumps the overarching license for the project. I wonder if there is any contrarian views. Certainly they should have explained better what their intention was.

Actually I see they use GPL 2+, which is incidentally somewhat aligned, meaning that you can treat the software equally as 2+ or 3+. So perhaps the intention is to prefer the latter, but allow for the earlier version.

Cheers

Carlo

[...]

Manbeck, Jack

I would contact the repo owner for clarification. In situations like this, that is what we normally do.

Best Regards,

Jack Manbeck

Texas Instruments

We are considering using https://github.com/imq/linuximq in some product. The files are patches for Linux Kernel. But the license of this project seems a bit confusing. As stated in the README, the license is GPLv3+. GPLv3+ is not compatible with GPLv2 which means these patches should not be applied to Linux Kernel. But if you open the patches, you will find GPLv2 notice in there instead of GPLv3+. So can we just simply treat this project as a GPLv2’ed one? Thanks.

Joel Cao

Engineer

Open Source Program Office | OPPO

+86-13817587682

OPPO

电子邮件及其附件含OPPO公司的保密信息,仅限于邮件指明的收件人使用(包含个人及群组)。禁止任何人在未经授权的情况下以任何形式使用。如果您错收了本邮件,请立即以电子邮件通知发件人并删除本邮件及其附件。

This e-mail and its attachments contain confidential information from OPPO, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by phone or email immediately and delete it!

曹知渊(Joel)

Filed an issue several days ago but still waiting for reply. T_T

2020年9月18日 22:25,Manbeck, Jack via lists.openchainproject.org <j-manbeck2=ti.com@...> 写道:

[...]

G, Rahul Mohan

Dear Joel and Carlo,

They have changed the license.

Regards,

Rahul

[...]

Hi Rahul. Thanks for the clue. A member of our team also noticed this commit. So just I assume your opinion is that it should be GPLv2+ since they intentionally changed the text, right?

2020年9月19日 14:42,G, Rahul Mohan via lists.openchainproject.org <rahul.g=siemens.com@...> 写道:

Dear Joel and Carlo,

They have changed the license.

<image001.png>

[...]