A question about license translations in Chinese, Korean and German

This is a question from the OpenChain Japan Work Group to our dear friends who speak Chinese, Korean or German.

In Japan there is a convenient website with reference translations of the OSI open source licenses:
https://licenses.opensource.jp/

The purpose of this translation set is to education regional engineers. It is expected legal experts will read and use the original English terms.

The question is: do you have similar resources in Chinese, Korean and German?

Haksung

Hi,

The Korea Copyright Commission has opened an open source license information website to help Korean companies and developers, and provides OSI open source licenses translated into Korean.: https://olis.or.kr/license/licenseOSI.do?mapcode=010001&page=1

Best Regards,
Haksung

This is a question from the OpenChain Japan Work Group to our dear friends who speak Chinese, Korean or German.

In Japan there is a convenient website with reference translations of the OSI open source licenses:
https://licenses.opensource.jp/

The purpose of this translation set is to education regional engineers. It is expected legal experts will read and use the original English terms.

The question is: do you have similar resources in Chinese, Korean and German?

Martin Bührlen

There are countless German language websites with information about OSS
licenses, but I am not aware of any 'official' website.

There is a private initiative (translated: )"Institute for Legal Issues of
the Free and Open Source Software (ifrOSS)" https://ifross.org/ which has a
pretty comprehensive list of licenses
https://ifross.github.io/ifrOSS/Lizenzcenter . But this is more directed
towards legal experts.

In my opinion, so far the best explanation in layman's terms is probably on
the German Wikipedia, which has a page for each of the mainstream licenses
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategorie:FLOSS-Lizenz.

More education is definitely needed for sw developers. I have heard so many
times "It's open source, so we can anyhow use it." which (as far as they are
aware) puts 0-BSD and AGPL into the same category.

Best regards

Martin

This is a question from the OpenChain Japan Work Group to our dear friends
who speak Chinese, Korean or German.

In Japan there is a convenient website with reference translations of the
OSI open source licenses:
https://licenses.opensource.jp/

The purpose of this translation set is to education regional engineers. It
is expected legal experts will read and use the original English terms.

The question is: do you have similar resources in Chinese, Korean and
German?

Hi Ueda San, just flagging for you :)

On Apr 7, 2022, at 15:00, Martin Bührlen via lists.openchainproject.org <martin=buehrlen.com@lists.openchainproject.org> wrote:

[...]

Satoru Ueda

Thanks Shane.

S. Ueda
===
| Satoru Ueda / TEL: +81-(0)70-2498-3190 or +81-(0)90-3815-9169
| Open Source Promotion Sec. Technology Alliance Dept.
| Corporate Technology Strategy Div. Sony Corporation

There are countless German language websites with information about
OSS licenses, but I am not aware of any 'official' website.

There is a private initiative (translated: )"Institute for Legal
Issues of the Free and Open Source Software (ifrOSS)"
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ifross.org/__;!!JmoZiZGBv3RvKRSx!r
0iCWr91nvFU4YGRjzwKdIMq-tCJXulkvzyukSc81-OAbWj-bEVw8bQKkwYd56Q$
[ifross[.]org] which has a pretty comprehensive list of licenses https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ifross.github.io/ifrOSS/Lizenzcenter__;!!JmoZiZGBv3RvKRSx!r0iCWr91nvFU4YGRjzwKdIMq-tCJXulkvzyukSc81-OAbWj-bEVw8bQKW27ip48$ [ifross[.]github[.]io] . But this is more directed towards legal experts.

mainstream licenses https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategorie:FLOSS-Lizenz__;!!JmoZiZGBv3RvKRSx!r0iCWr91nvFU4YGRjzwKdIMq-tCJXulkvzyukSc81-OAbWj-bEVw8bQKUoLe9Kg$ [de[.]wikipedia[.]org].

More education is definitely needed for sw developers. I have heard so
many times "It's open source, so we can anyhow use it." which (as far
as they are
aware) puts 0-BSD and AGPL into the same category.

Best regards

Martin

This is a question from the OpenChain Japan Work Group to our dear
friends who speak Chinese, Korean or German.

In Japan there is a convenient website with reference translations of
the OSI open source licenses:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://licenses.opensource.jp/__;!!JmoZiZ
GBv3RvKRSx!r0iCWr91nvFU4YGRjzwKdIMq-tCJXulkvzyukSc81-OAbWj-bEVw8bQKNAA
XDyE$ [licenses[.]opensource[.]jp]

The purpose of this translation set is to education regional
engineers. It is expected legal experts will read and use the original English terms.

The question is: do you have similar resources in Chinese, Korean and
German?

Lucien C.H. Lin - 林誠夏

Dear Shane & Ueda San,

This email thread has just been bumped into my eyes this afternoon, please bear with me for the late response.

Firstly, I shall not and can not answer the Simplified Chinese language situation for this question, I think many friends in the list might be able to do that much better than me. However, if you want to know how the Traditional Chinese language translation has been doing on this, I might be able to share some information in Taiwan as best as I can.

In principle, some people like me in the Traditional Chinese FOSS legal community might have contributed to some translation for the index licenses, such as GPL-3.0 and LGPL-3.0, listed here on my blog or on the wikipedia page.

http://lucien.cc/20071129-gpl3不負責任正體中文化草稿/
http://lucien.cc/20070823-lgpl3不負責任正體中文化初版/

However there isn't any complete FOSS license translation project in Traditional Chinese that has been carried out here, ever. I personally envy and admire the achievement you have there in Japanese and Korean language.

But we did prepare a summary introduction for most-used OSI-approved licenses when the "Open Source Software Foundry(OSSF)" project was performed. You can get access to the backup page for this license summary column in Traditional Chinese here: https://ossf.denny.one/tw/licenses.html

Warm Regards,

Lucien C.H. Lin, Legal Adviser at Open Culture Foundation

Satoru Ueda <satoru.ueda@...> 於 2022年4月21日 週四 下午4:40寫道:

Thanks Shane.

S. Ueda
===
| Satoru Ueda / TEL: +81-(0)70-2498-3190 or +81-(0)90-3815-9169
| Open Source Promotion Sec. Technology Alliance Dept.
| Corporate Technology Strategy Div. Sony Corporation

> There are countless German language websites with information about
> OSS licenses, but I am not aware of any 'official' website.
>
> There is a private initiative (translated: )"Institute for Legal
> Issues of the Free and Open Source Software (ifrOSS)"
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ifross.org/__;!!JmoZiZGBv3RvKRSx!r
> 0iCWr91nvFU4YGRjzwKdIMq-tCJXulkvzyukSc81-OAbWj-bEVw8bQKkwYd56Q$
> [ifross[.]org]  which has a pretty comprehensive list of licenses https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ifross.github.io/ifrOSS/Lizenzcenter__;!!JmoZiZGBv3RvKRSx!r0iCWr91nvFU4YGRjzwKdIMq-tCJXulkvzyukSc81-OAbWj-bEVw8bQKW27ip48$ [ifross[.]github[.]io] . But this is more directed towards legal experts.
>
> In my opinion, so far the best explanation in layman's terms is
> probably on the German Wikipedia, which has a page for each of the
> mainstream licenses https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategorie:FLOSS-Lizenz__;!!JmoZiZGBv3RvKRSx!r0iCWr91nvFU4YGRjzwKdIMq-tCJXulkvzyukSc81-OAbWj-bEVw8bQKUoLe9Kg$ [de[.]wikipedia[.]org].
>
> More education is definitely needed for sw developers. I have heard so
> many times "It's open source, so we can anyhow use it." which (as far
> as they are
> aware) puts 0-BSD and AGPL into the same category.
>
> Best regards
>
> Martin

This is great!

Hm, do you think OpenChain should make a reference page pointing to all these license translation resources?

Question for all community 🙂

On Apr 21, 2022, at 20:13, Lucien C.H. Lin - 林誠夏 <lucien.cc@...> wrote:

> [...]

> [ifross[.]org]  which has a pretty comprehensive list of licenses https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ifross.github.io/ifrOSS/Lizenzcenter__;!!JmoZiZGBv3RvKRSx!r0iCWr91nvFU4YGRjzwKdIMq-tCJXulkvzyukSc81-OAbWj-bEVw8bQKW27ip48$ [ifross[.]github[.]io] . But this is more directed towards legal experts.
>
> In my opinion, so far the best explanation in layman's terms is
> probably on the German Wikipedia, which has a page for each of the
> mainstream licenses https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategorie:FLOSS-Lizenz__;!!JmoZiZGBv3RvKRSx!r0iCWr91nvFU4YGRjzwKdIMq-tCJXulkvzyukSc81-OAbWj-bEVw8bQKUoLe9Kg$ [de[.]wikipedia[.]org].
>
> More education is definitely needed for sw developers. I have heard so
> many times "It's open source, so we can anyhow use it." which (as far
> as they are
> aware) puts 0-BSD and AGPL into the same category.

Jasmine zhang

that would be great,we dicussed the simplified-chinese translation this month in the wechat group. But i recommend the page pointing should withdraw a prominent notice stating that the translations have no legal force.

zhangjunxia@...

Date: 2022-04-28 11:38