OpenChain Reference Training Slides now in MarkDown (Draft, needs work)

Well, this is big news. Our reference training slides - one of the most used parts of our reference library - is now in MarkDown. The conversation status is “draft” and we need to check for rough edges:
https://github.com/OpenChain-Project/Reference-Material/blob/master/Training-Slides/Official/2.1/en/openchain-reference-training-slides-iso5230-version1.md

Original PowerPoint slides here for compare, contrast and planning:
https://github.com/OpenChain-Project/Reference-Material/blob/master/Training-Slides/Official/2.1/en/openchain-reference-training-slides-for-ISO-5230-en.pptx

The biggest to-do item is that we need to extract the images from the slides and add them to the MarkDown. This is probably a relatively big lift… we may want to recreate some of the images at this juncture.

Carlo Piana <carlo@...>

Hi,

I have tried to figure out an easier way to do it and extract the images in a bulk-ish way, but they appear to be Powerpoint internal objects without any coherence. The best way I have figured out without spending too much time, was to export to PDF, open the PDF in Inkscape, remove the text, group the graphic and export what remains as SVG.

Now Inkscape can deal with multiple pages, but it would be a much better idea to separate each page, remove the ones without images, put the remaining ones in a place and proceed page by page.

It's painful and error prone. Powerpoint is something that is better left with presentations (or even better, alone, sitting in the dark to rotten), not documents.

Cheers

Carlo

Well, this is big news. Our reference training slides - one of the most used
parts of our reference library - is now in MarkDown. The conversation status is
“draft” and we need to check for rough edges:
https://github.com/OpenChain-Project/Reference-Material/blob/master/Training-Slides/Official/2.1/en/openchain-reference-training-slides-iso5230-version1.md

Original PowerPoint slides here for compare, contrast and planning:
https://github.com/OpenChain-Project/Reference-Material/blob/master/Training-Slides/Official/2.1/en/openchain-reference-training-slides-for-ISO-5230-en.pptx

The biggest to-do item is that we need to extract the images from the slides and
add them to the MarkDown. This is probably a relatively big lift… we may want
to recreate some of the images at this juncture.

Carlo Piana <carlo@...>

Anyway, even in Powerpoint online, the charts have issues.

see here:

Well, this is big news. Our reference training slides - one of the most used
parts of our reference library - is now in MarkDown. The conversation status is
“draft” and we need to check for rough edges:
https://github.com/OpenChain-Project/Reference-Material/blob/master/Training-Slides/Official/2.1/en/openchain-reference-training-slides-iso5230-version1.md

Original PowerPoint slides here for compare, contrast and planning:
https://github.com/OpenChain-Project/Reference-Material/blob/master/Training-Slides/Official/2.1/en/openchain-reference-training-slides-for-ISO-5230-en.pptx

The biggest to-do item is that we need to extract the images from the slides and
add them to the MarkDown. This is probably a relatively big lift… we may want
to recreate some of the images at this juncture.

Carlo Piana <carlo@...>

Too fast.

see attached.

[...]

Jacob Wilson

Hi Carlo,

First of all excellent work, this is no small task and is a huge benefit to the community. Second you mentioned conversion of the powerpoint graphs to SVG and then displaying in markdown. Have you had a chance to read this github blog post tackling similar issues? I took a pass at what this might look like in pull request 41 specifically for slide 54 from your last screen shot. Luckily the Mermaid dev team was nice enough to include a live editor, here's a link to the source code for this diagram in action. The chart type I picked was a sequence diagram, it could be that flow diagram or even a mind map works better. Hopefully this helps, or at least provides another option.

Jacob Wilson

On Fri, Nov 18, 2022 at 8:02 AM Carlo Piana <carlo@...> wrote:
Too fast.

see attached.