Re: It is official – we are now seeking public comments for ISO submission version 2.1 of the Specification

Osaki, Tadayuki <t-osaki@...>

Hi Mark and Shane,

Thank you for the clarification and confirmation about OpenChain Spec. after it become ISO (or ISO PAS) standard.

It is my understanding that the Linux Foundation is, and will continue to be the
stewards of the spec and that it will continue to remain open and free in the
event it is accepted by the Organization for Standardization (OSI)..
this project and this specification will always be managed here, by you, the
OpenChain community
I got it. Since some standards prescribe duration of renewal auditing by third party in specific part in the same standard, I will keep tracking the process.

Again, this is independent of whether or not an organization chooses to engage with
a third party auditor. The duration of a third party engagement is determine by
the two parties.
Sure. Now I'm clear that OpenChain Spec. will not include renewal-auditing-term related prescriptions.

If you believe we should consider a longer duration (e.g., 3 years) we can discuss
that when we embark on the next major spec revision in January 2020.
For now, I personally do not have any intention to propose extension of the 18 month duration, because sometimes the duration is too long to check whther a program is maintaining complying state for OSS license, I think.

Best Regards,

Tom Osaki, Fujitsu Limited

From: "Gisi, Mark" <Mark.Gisi@...>
To: Osaki, Tadayuki/大崎 雅行 <t-osaki@...>
CC: "specification@..." <specification@...>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 14:58:07 +0000
-----------

Hi Tadayuki,

Thank you for your feedback and request for clarification.

Is it already decided for which standard OpenChain Spec. will belong to ?
It is my understanding that the Linux Foundation is, and will continue to be the stewards of the spec and that it will continue to remain open and free in the event it is accepted by the Organization for Standardization (OSI)..

- Isn't it necessary to prescribe renewal auditing term in Spec. 2.1 (just confirmation) ?
Requirement 3.6.2.1 in version 2.1 (6.2.1 in version 2.0) requires an organization to perform a self-certification every 18 months. This would be independent of a third party audit. Regardless of whether or not an organization chooses to work with a third party auditor - they are required to create a document that affirms they have completed a self-certification (requirement 3.6.1.1) within the past 18 months (requirement 3.6.2.1) . On the 19th month an organization would need to conduct and pass another self-certification that would be good for another 18 months. An organization can choose to re-certify on the same version of the spec or choose another, perhaps newer version. Again, this is independent of whether or not an organization chooses to engage with a third party auditor. The duration of a third party engagement is determine by the two parties.

If you believe we should consider a longer duration (e.g., 3 years) we can discuss that when we embark on the next major spec revision in January 2020.

Please let me know if some things are still not clear.

best,
Mark

Concerning conformance duration, I made a private discussion with you at OSSEU about relationship between 18 months duration prescribed in 3.6.2 and renewal audit term (usually three years, depending on belonging standard) after the Spec. become standard.

Now I'm understood that the 18 month duration is not related to renewal audit term, let me ask questions below:
- Is it already decided for which standard OpenChain Spec. will belong to ?
- Isn't it necessary to prescribe renewal auditing term in Spec. 2.1 (just confirmation) ?

Best Regards,
Tadayuki "Tom" Osaki, Fujitsu Limited